Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 02-25-2006, 12:01 PM

Default Re: DM2000 and Pro Tools Intefaces Word Clock Prob

Still trying to find a clocking solution for the 192s and my DM2000 digital console.
Clocking the console off of the embeded AES clock from the 192 to the input card just does not sound as good as a direct BNC from the Big Ben. Now even my analog inserts are suffering from fidelity loss because they are now getting a third generation version of the clock. Somebody please help !! I would like my new Pro Tools HD 3 rig to at least sound as good through this console as my old Mix Plus did.

Thanks for any feedback, Steve
Old 02-25-2006, 04:51 PM

QUOTE: "Clocking the console off of the embeded AES clock from the 192 to the input card just does not sound as good as a direct BNC from the Big Ben."

I have two Aardsync Sync DA's and am only using one as, I am now mixing more in the box and do not have as many outboard devices that require a stable clock. You can use one of these devices to star to your Digidesign 192 interfaces and your outboard gear (a total of 7 devices) from the Big Ben.

Contact me if interested. $500.00 includes shipping in the continental US. Includes unit, power supply, manual and original box. The unit is in new condition.

Just a thought.

Best regards,
(970) 663-1650
InSight Sound Web Page
Old 02-27-2006, 10:47 AM

We'll everything was syncing just fine with Version 3.0 Firmware until my 192 Digital stopped working. Digi support couldn't locate any more Firmware 3.0 so they sent me 3 new 4.9 Firmware devices they said would work. They don't sync! This shouldn't be a hard fix. Anybody have a 192 Digital Firmware 3.0 they want to sell???
Old 02-27-2006, 05:52 PM

Hi Joe,
How do we go about getting somebody from digi to take an interest in this firmware fix ?
After living with the embeded AES clock coming out of the 192 to a Yamaha card for the last month, I can now say that I prefer the sound of my console being clocked directly from the Big Ben. With out a doubt !!!
Can you PM me with your phone because maybe we can come up with some way to remedy this by talking ?
Cheers, Steve
Old 03-02-2006, 09:24 AM
Avid

We definitely are taking an interest in this. Our test and engineering departments are investigating the issue, but there is no specific information about what the cause is or when it may be fixed. We will post updates as soon as they become available.
Old 03-11-2006, 11:50 AM

if you don't mind this slight tangent, could any dm2000 users comment on the sonic differences with respect to clocking. i just got a dm2000 for myself (and the PT 7 update a week ago finally), and am looking into how i want to clock the system. i initially thought i might just use the clock in the dm2000. is the apogee significantly better for the sonics when used as a system clock? i am simply investigating what clock method i'd like to use in my space.
Old 04-16-2006, 03:26 PM

Hi Digi,

I'm Reviving this thread because I am just finishing mixing an audiophile album that was started in Febuary.
It is not up to my normal audio standards because of the incompatibility of not being able to clock my digital console and my HD3 system with the same clock unless I use the embedded AES on an audio card. This must be fixed in the 192 firmware by now!!! Right ? I NEED TO BE ABLE TO CLOCK MY CONSOLE AND MY PTHD WITH THE SAME CLOCK NOW !!!
I'm too old and experienced to argue about how to clock a DM2000 with Pro Tools. Been there,done that!!!
Is the firmware for the 192 fixed yet ?
Old 04-16-2006, 05:28 PM

I have 2 Pro Tools system connected to a DM2000 (one for recording (HD3 and 3 192 Interfaces) and a second (HD 2 and 96 I/O) for mixing. The inputs to the recording PT (HD 3) are all analog ins and the outs are connected to the DM via Lightpipe. The second system is connected to the Desk via Lightpipe. We clock both systems via wordclock from the Sync I/O Clock outputs. The PT 1 system is the master (the 192's are loop synced to the Sync I/O) then word to the DM 2000 and to the 96 I/O on the second system. This works perfectly. I have never had any problems. We even connected a Logic system and drove that from the word of the first sync I/O (ie the master).
best regards
Simon L.
Old 04-16-2006, 08:35 PM

Quote:
We are using a Big Ben as a master clock... We are sending word clock out of the Big Ben directly to the word clock inputs of the the Digi interfaces and the Yamaha DM2000's.... 4 digital cards.... MY8-AE96s..... we are connecting the audio through these digital cards.
We had this problem in another studio with earlier verison of PT6
Yamaha DM2000 with 4 MY8-AE96 Cards

Quote:
I have 2 Pro Tools system connected to a DM2000... The inputs to the recording PT (HD 3) are all analog ins and the outs are connected to the DM via Lightpipe. The second system is connected to the Desk via Lightpipe. .... This works perfectly. I have never had any problems.
best regards
Simon L.
Apparantly there is a problem with the MY8-AE96 cards... you might want to look at the Yamaha DM2000 software update as well.. I also have a yamaha digital mixer connected to a 192 with the latest firmware version 4.9 with no problems clocking from an external clock through the ADAT inputs using either a star configuration or otherwize.

Another work around would be to have the yamaha clock off of the AES coming from the 192...since the AES should be an exact duplicate of the word clock coming from the big ben... I believe you should have the same word clock sync without degradation..I have perfect word clock sync when I chose to clock off the digital ins of the yamaha on the yamaha board (even though I use a star configuration in practice) I don't believe that one regeneration of word clock sync..if done perfectly...would really effect the quality of signal since its a reproduction done digitally with a world class interface, the 192.

Old 04-16-2006, 10:55 PM

Do you guys all work for Digidesign?
This sounds like the same BS I got three months ago. There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of my cards or my console!!
As a matter of fact, the head of Yamaha tech support in the US western region paid me a visit at my studio to sort this problem out and concluded that there is nothing wrong with any of the cards or the console. The problem is in the 192 firmware. We replaced all five of my cards with new ones and still had the same problem. I will restate it again: When the 192s are clocked from a Big Ben in a star configuration with a separate word clock cable to each interface and also a separate cable going to the word clock input of the console, the console reports a sync error from every card connected to the 192s. That is unless I use loop sync. But this is in direct disagreement with the correct way to clock anything according to Apogee and also according to me!!
Loop sync should not be hooked up when clocking externally from the Big Ben!!! Go ask anybody at Apogee. I simply need to clock my Pro Tools system and my console with the same word clock signal. I never had a problem doing this with my Mix Plus system. Can someone (who has been working with digital audio for more than only a few years and isn't an audio school graduate with no actual experience) answer this?? Please excuse me if I sound pissed off but after investing $37,000.00 in this new system, the only responses I have had to this problem are ones telling me I don't understand word clock. WELL I DO !!

PS My console has the very latest software and firmware.