Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-16-2002, 09:49 AM

Default HELP ME!!!! i\'m a struggling college student!

So, here's the deal. I need to do a research paper for my computer science class. They didn't give us a specific subject, they just said it had to be computer related. So being the music technology nut that I am, I decided on the history of Digidesign and Pro Tools. Unfortunately, I can't find anything on their history. Can anyone help?
Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-16-2002, 10:04 AM

Default Re: HELP ME!!!! i\'m a struggling college student!

One of the most valuable things you learn in college is how to find information:

From the about page of this site.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:34 AM

Don't underestimate your ability to gain access to real people. Call up the company. Talk to Public Relations, Corporate, etc. Find out who runs the company and request an interview (can be by phone). Company presidents love to talk about themselves, their contributions, innovations, etc. Jot down everything, especially names of other people. Find out where they are, call them and talk to them. Then talk to leaders of related companies (some used to work at Digidesign) and music retailers. Play journalist. Also, call up famous studios and speak to "power users" about how Pro Tools changed the industry and their own lives. Talk about (or talk to) Charles Dye who recorded the first #1 record entirely on Pro Tools (Ricky Martin), I believe.

Begin by giving a brief overview of the initial attempts at computer music, Max Matthews, Bell Labs, Columbia U, etc.; add a paragraph or two about the synclavier (look kiddies -- it used to cost a million dollars, now it only costs whatever), and then launch into Protools. Finally, position Protools with respect to its native (vs. host-based) competition, and the promise of cheaper, more powerful systems, and the question mark hovering over the future of the system like a dAmOcles sword -- will ProTools become the next synclavier, or is there an inherent advantage to host-based systems that transcends the rapacious march of technology?

In other words, to understand ProTools, it needs to be put in context.

-M.M.M.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:47 AM

Wow man. PDupre, I already checked the about page. Didn't supply anywhere near enough info for a 5 page paper. But Matt, you are the man. Thank you very much.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:11 AM

Do a search for Van Halen.
Old 10-17-2002, 12:16 AM

One better .........How about the "Osbornes" ? ^_^ [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]images/icons/shocked.gif[/img]