How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 05-30-2018, 06:32 PM

Default Re: Win 10 "Prepare to Install" stuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedhed View Post
You have a system backup that you can use right?

If you do, and end up using it, remember to prohibit the auto update and create a new system backup after verifying PT is working.

I do. Before going that step, I tried restoring to the point before the last windows update. Well, something went awry with that and long story short, now my PC won't even boot up! I can't even get it to safe mode at the moment. So, I'm going to have to use my boot disk (as soon as I can find the darned thing...its not where I thought I kept it!).

What frosts me about all this is that its a problem caused by the Windows OS itself. I always thought the OS was to, you know, make your PC operational. Instead, Windows is more like the thing we have to work around in order to use our software!

Old 06-02-2018, 02:27 PM

I had this exact same probably earlier this week. I fixed it by uninstalling and re-installing my audio interface driver.
Old 06-07-2018, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsbarr View Post
I had this exact same probably earlier this week. I fixed it by uninstalling and re-installing my audio interface driver.
Now that's interesting. May I ask which interface you're using. Mine is a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6. That would make some sense as the only two programs that seemed to be affected by this are PT and Reason, which are the only two that need to access the audio driver. Well, I guess Reaper does too, but I hadn't tried launching that separately.

I will try that as soon as I can get my system back up and running.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:18 AM

Well, after spending about 5 hours on this yesterday, I've thrown in the towel and am taking it in to my local service guy. I tried to restore from my last image file, but no matter what I did, it would not recognize my image file was even there! So, either I didn't image correctly, or something is corrupted in the OS. I haven't lost a lick of data. I can get to the command prompt and see all my files on every drive are there. When trying to boot up in safe mode, I keep getting "boot device not accessible". This is a known issue that has happened after certain updates to Win-10 (charming, right?). I tried all the "fixes", but no joy. So, to the pros I go.

I do believe that the original issue may have stemmed from some incompatibility after the last Win-10 update and my audio interface driver(s), as mentioned earlier. Wish I'd thought of that before attempting to rollback to the earlier update of Win-10, which is when things got worse!

I do appreciate all the helpful suggestions mentioned here. I'm pretty confident that my PC guy can fix things.

Old 07-24-2018, 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonaldM View Post
Well, after spending about 5 hours on this yesterday, I've thrown in the towel and am taking it in to my local service guy. I tried to restore from my last image file, but no matter what I did, it would not recognize my image file was even there! So, either I didn't image correctly, or something is corrupted in the OS. I haven't lost a lick of data. I can get to the command prompt and see all my files on every drive are there. When trying to boot up in safe mode, I keep getting "boot device not accessible". This is a known issue that has happened after certain updates to Win-10 (charming, right?). I tried all the "fixes", but no joy. So, to the pros I go.

I do believe that the original issue may have stemmed from some incompatibility after the last Win-10 update and my audio interface driver(s), as mentioned earlier. Wish I'd thought of that before attempting to rollback to the earlier update of Win-10, which is when things got worse!

I do appreciate all the helpful suggestions mentioned here. I'm pretty confident that my PC guy can fix things.
The computer is with legacy BIOS or UEFI? You can check this guide for image burning: https://www.passmoz.com/burn-iso-ima...in-3-ways.html

Last edited by lefiving; 07-30-2018 at 06:50 PM.