Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 AM

Default UAD LUNA is a daw

It got momentarily leaked on vintage king.

It works with any apollo thunderbolt including an apollo FW with thunderbolt card.

There are currently 3 different VI's developed for it, and a new neve summing plugin for the summing engine.

They are obviously going for the HDX market with a fully integrated UA Apollo/DAW solution.

Personally I couldn't care less and this is the most underwhelming thing LUNA could have possibly been for me, but I do care whether we'll get plugin versions of the DSP synths to use with our UA stuff in other DAWs.

Last edited by TNM; 01-16-2020 at 12:41 PM. Reason: changed "never" to "neve".. auto correct LOL!
Old 01-16-2020, 11:22 AM

Default Re: UAD LUNA is a daw

Actually this is great news. Maybe it will light a fire under Avid to finally deliver something for the $399 annual extortion fee that HD users have been paying. We're just finally getting folder tracks it seems which only catches up to what every other DAW has had for almost 5 years now. Still no ARA. Still no rapid updates as promised. Still no innovation ahead of the curve. The summing engine of LUNA is really forward thinking. Knowing UA, the implementation will be top notch. And this is just the 1.0 version. You know they'll push it forward. This may be the year I freeze my Pro Tools license. If Avid doesn't deliver, it will lose the music production segment of the market for good and only have the post community left. Maybe that's been the plan all along. Too big to fail is not a business strategy. It may work for a time, but disruptive technology eventually slays giants.
Old 01-16-2020, 11:57 AM

And LUNA is FREE for Apollo interface owners WOHOOOOO

Thank You UA! Finally!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-16-2020, 12:40 PM

namm livestream on now..

still watching it, "just in case".
Old 01-16-2020, 05:06 PM
Universal Audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
And LUNA is FREE for Apollo interface owners WOHOOOOO

Thank You UA! Finally!
You're welcome!!
Old 01-16-2020, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalAudio View Post
You're welcome!!
You guys just keep surprising! After getting our 2 X8P and 1 X8 and the X16 we are soo happy it feels totally tingly and warm all over the insides hehe

And the Octo and Twin mk2 works soo great with the Console2 system it is amazing! Love it! So again Thank You UA

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 01-16-2020, 06:10 PM

Well, I understand for people wanting an extremely simple integrated solution, but every video seen so far has made it look a decade behind other DAW's in terms of editing features. It's SO basic.. and when you can say even PT midi looks light yeas ahead, well, that's REALLY saying something! LOL!

(notation, event list, more complex quantizing options including audio to midi groove and vice versa, all the realtime non destructive options for midi, good length and velocity manipulation via lower graph OR the function window OR the realtime tabs OR the event list, external instruments with sample level delay per midi port, and more.. we don't even know if luna can work with external synths yet!).

I put my list in the GS thread and nothing has been answered, nor has the question if Luna is susceptible to the same plugin latency as Console is. i.e the majority of UA plugins add latency to every console insert, including *every* unison plugin. RTL times can go well beyond native systems.

PS Audio editing also looks uber basic to say the least.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:39 PM

Default UAD Luna

Interesting new "daw" coming out from Universal Audio. Any Eucon support in the works, or do they have to reach out to Avid?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:45 PM

Default Re: UAD Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertg View Post
Interesting new "daw" coming out from Universal Audio. Any Eucon support in the works, or do they have to reach out to Avid?
First tell me if I missed something or is this DAW only for their own customers that have TB interface? Can it be run standalone on a Macbook with built-in output for example?
Old 01-16-2020, 06:49 PM

Default Re: UAD Luna

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
First tell me if I missed something or is this DAW only for their own customers that have TB interface? Can it be run standalone on a Macbook with built-in output for example?
It’s for Apollo users with TB interfaces, not FW and not a stand alone. Works with console2 software. Simple but very good sounding and a great co-daw for use with PT and other daws. Zero latency and really nice on the CPU!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————