Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 04-03-2016, 04:49 AM

Default Re: What next?

There have been many collaboration platforms in the past. The first was the Rocket Network mote than 15 years ago. I remember Rocket technology implemented into Pro Tools (around 2004). Avid bought the Rocket company and told they want to use the technology to make collaboration in local networks possible. They didn't...
In the meantime a lot of those collaboration platforms failed mainly because there's not enough need for such collaborations.
It seems to me that it's a decision made by the business department. Or is no one in the company who was there when the Rocket project failed?
It's sad...
Old 04-03-2016, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
It seems to me that it's a decision made by the business department.
In my 20 years of working experience that I have spent entirely as an engineer in the audio service and pro audio/studio industry I have seen this happen a couple of times. In 100% of the cases business people hugely underestimated the complexity of production work and in all those cases the company went belly up shortly after business people tried to optimize / maximize the profits. It always caused families to get into financial trouble because jobs were lost. There were always sings of warning and those signs are similar to what I see happening at Avid at the moment. I know that PT is too big a name and that it will more likely fade away or get sold to somebody who actually cares but I must tell you that I don't like what I see. Neither the way/lack of communication nor the directions that are being taken.
Old 04-03-2016, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
I peg your pardon? What other DAW has cloud collaboration today? We're not talking about Fakebook here...
Cubase-Nuendo, for some time. And among many other news ...
"Collaboration in the cloud

Embedded into Cubase, VST Transit is Steinberg’s new cloud collaboration service. Upload audio and MIDI tracks to cloud storage, continue working from another location and synchronize the changes back to the cloud. Or collaborate on shared projects with friends and band members. VST Transit comes with up to 500 MB free storage space and 1 GB free traffic per month. VST Transit Premium Accounts and Trafiic upgrades are available for all users with more demanding needs of traffic and storage."

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...t_premium.html
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 04-03-2016, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmbourget View Post
Cubase-Nuendo, for some time. And among many other news ...
"Collaboration in the cloud

Embedded into Cubase, VST Transit is Steinberg’s new cloud collaboration service. Upload audio and MIDI tracks to cloud storage, continue working from another location and synchronize the changes back to the cloud. Or collaborate on shared projects with friends and band members. VST Transit comes with up to 500 MB free storage space and 1 GB free traffic per month. VST Transit Premium Accounts and Trafiic upgrades are available for all users with more demanding needs of traffic and storage."

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products...t_premium.html
And more importantly they have live remote recording as well!
Old 04-03-2016, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Calm down, this thing is huge. When I first heard about it in the summer of 2014 I couldn't just believe what I just heard. Now it is a reality. This is a 1.0 Cloud Collaborating software so let's just learn what there is for me (or you) specifically. I'm already liking it (though initial releases might have more bugs than we'd tolerate but give it some time just like 64bit PT software and AAX plugins)
Sometimes people are just never happy. :)

www.LightWingStudios.com

Musical Instrument Protection Accessories...Made In America.

Dell Precision T7910, Dual Processors (total 20 Cores), 128GB RAM, 4 @ 2TB SSDs, 1 @ 4TB HDs, Nvidia 2GB Dual Monitor Card, Dual LG 48" TVs used as Monitors, Arturia 88 Midi Controller, Black Lion USB Audio Interface, Mackie HR-828 Monitors, Katana Head, Fishman Triple Play, Win 10 Pro, PT 2023.3 Studio, only the Plugins I NEED, WAY TOO MANY Guitars...and an AMAZING wife!

AxeShield HD, AmpShield HD, KeyShield HD, AxeSak, AxeGlove, AxeCap & PedalShield
Old 04-03-2016, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
And more importantly they have live remote recording as well!
And Steinberg is not as if he had invented the wheel or travel to Mars. When I think 12.5 chose this instead of 1000 useful functions ...

Why ? Because the business point of view, there is a chance to trap customers into an Avid system. I understand Avid side business, but it must be said: Avid has become too big to deal with a simple software. He wants industrial systems, sprawling mega-systems, with corporate clients and huge projects. It may succeed, but it is no longer about simple users.
  • Mac Studio M2 Ultra 2023. 2T. 128 Go. + 2X 4 T NVMe ext.
  • AMD Ryzen 9 5950X 16-Core Processor 3.40 GHz 64 Go, full SSD

• Roland V-Piano, Novation 88
  • Etc.
  • www.claudemarcbourget.com
Old 04-03-2016, 08:46 AM

The collaboration features are part of the "Avid Everywhere" initiative, and a key component of the "vision" of PT and the company. As such, it probably came from the marketing dept. and/or CEO. The corporate executives have pushed it hard in PR announcements, etc. so they have been banking heavily on it.

Like you, I questioned the strategy when first announced, and even more seeing what a huge effort it has turned out to be. It was something like two years from announcement to release, and I'm sure there was work being done before the announcement. It remains to be seen if this works out for Avid, but I'm skeptical it will provide the boost they have banked on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Ziebarth View Post
There have been many collaboration platforms in the past. The first was the Rocket Network mote than 15 years ago. I remember Rocket technology implemented into Pro Tools (around 2004). Avid bought the Rocket company and told they want to use the technology to make collaboration in local networks possible. They didn't...
In the meantime a lot of those collaboration platforms failed mainly because there's not enough need for such collaborations.
It seems to me that it's a decision made by the business department. Or is no one in the company who was there when the Rocket project failed?
It's sad...
Old 04-03-2016, 09:07 AM

Many of us, out of necessity, have been doing it all ourselves.
And software has been aiding with that in every conceivable way.
It's been fantastic!!!!

So, who really needs to collaborate?
Who's going to pay to play?

The big studios have everything they need... and then some.
This might attract those just starting out, in hopes of breaking in, but for how long?

Sooner or later, Avid has to explain how it will be financially worthwhile... for the user.
They're asking for your money, don't we deserve an explanation?
Old 04-03-2016, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightrambler View Post
So what you're expecting to find is a proficient instrumentalist who:

1. can turn something round quickly,
2. has their own - decent - recording set-up,
3. has the skills to use it, AND
4. has a copy of Pro Tools 12.5+, and is comfortable using it (as opposed to the many other amazing/cheaper DAWs out there), AND
5. has a decent connection, and for the technology to behave as expected.

I'm not saying it's out of the question, but that does seem a lot to expect, especially if you're on a tight deadline.
Absolutely. That IS a lot to ask which is why I've (99.9%) of the time played every single part on every bit of music I've done for the 3000 some odd eps. of TV. BUT I think there may be a few savvy guys out there who will see the potential of this and perhaps I can find a few reliable people...especially now that the entire planet is open.

This is just my wishful thinking. Time will tell. :)

Ron
http://www.fishertheband.com
Mac Pro (Late 2013) 3.5 GHz 6-core Intel Xeon E5 - 32 GB Ram / 1TB Flash Storage - Avid HD I/O - Latest Mac OS - HDX3 - Latest PT Version.
Old 04-03-2016, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @tention View Post
Sorry to bore you. If you are bored by this discussion, there's no need to read.

I feel that it's neither boring nor unimportant, that's why I started the thread. We are witnessing a company that is sacrificing one of the milestones of the digital evolution on the altar of profit maximization. We are witnessing communication that is far from perfect. I am extremely concerned by Avids decision to turn everything into subsciptions that force users to pay rather than making users want to pay. I voice this concern.
this. +1