Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-01-2011, 05:49 PM

Default Internal midi routing doesn't work

Can't get internal midi routing to work at all.

- VSTi's don't show up in midi out.
- midi to click track (Digidesign or trillian labs - waits for midi-) no worky.
- Only the "predefined" - harware - connections show up in midi out.

PT 9.03, Win7 64bit.

Help please.

P
Old 08-01-2011, 07:19 PM

Default Re: Internal midi routing doesn't work

Did you just download and install 9.0.3? Last time I saw PT abnormality like this it was due to a faulty update download.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:36 PM

Hello everyone. First time posting here.

I had been scouring the forums and beyond for these past three days just trying to find any direct mention of this issue. I'm almost at the brink of a full system reinstall by now so I ope this thread will get us somewhere.

If I interpreted this correctly I think I'm having the same issue paulster describes. I have a Window 7 x64 PC that had been running PT 9.0.3 without hiccups up until a few days ago. Now PT has lost the ability to route MIDI from a MIDI channel to any Instrument channel, the VI's are no longer available as MIDI output options after having been created. I ran the same session in another system and all seems to be working there. Both computers are running 9.0.3.

I have tried the General Troubleshooting solutions, thrashed the Databases and Preferences and even uninstalled/reinstalled PT more times than I'd like to remember so any suggestions other than reinstalling would do right now just to at least keep me up in good spirits. This is really a bad time for this to happen all of the sudden and I'm nearly freaking out at the thought of going through my last resort. That's at least a day and a half more of doing nothing but fighting my computer.

Oh, and sorry if some of my thoughts may seem a bit jumbled up. English is not my first language.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:38 PM

Thanks for the reply spenner..

Yes, I did download the update..

Will try to download again.

As Oddman mentioned, I too re-installed (also as administrator) a few times to no avail.

Will try to install on a fresh OS if nothing else works.. I hope it doesn't come to that.

P
Old 08-02-2011, 08:47 PM

Make sure to download via the Download Manager. This eliminates issues with large downloads that can occur due to slow or poor connection, broken download, etc.
Old 08-03-2011, 06:05 PM

Just uninstalled, re-installed from the DVD (9.0.0). Same issue.

Downloaded 9.0.3 using the download manager. Installed , same issue.

Don't know what to do other than install on a fresh system.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance,
P
Old 08-04-2011, 06:31 AM

I did the same thing quite a number of times. I uninstalled using Digidesign's Uninstaller. I then re-installed 9.0 followed by the subsequent patches but still had the same issue. I then re-downloaded the 9.0.2 Full Installer using the Download Manager, uninstalled, re-installed again with the 9.0.3 patch afterwards but still the same issue. I then ran the 9.0.3 Setup and chose to Remove all Digidesign software from my PC, reinstalled and again and tested but I'm still having the same issue. I tested the app on every install (9.0, 9.0.1, 9.0.2 and 9.0.3) but they are all having the same problem. I'm thinking something got corrupted in the registry and is not working right. A Windows update maybe?

I had read somewhere that the process mmerefresh.exe could be a possible reason for this not working so I double checked it just in case and found out something rather peculiar. I remember I used to see this process in the task manager before every time PT was running (and maybe even when it wasn't) but it is not there now. I have checked the Services control panel and it is correctly configured to load Automatically with the computer. I even double clicked it to make sure it was open but it's still not showing in the task manager. What gives? Can this be the cause of all our woes?

I'm really, really dreading the thought of a full system reinstall. I even have a full system backup I can use to restore my machine up to the point where I had all system drivers and PT's installed and configured but still...there's SOOO much to be done after that.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:56 PM

I'm bumping this thread hoping some light can be shed on the matter. I've resorted to working from my laptop for the time being but am still hoping there will be no need for a full reinstall on my desktop.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:38 PM

Bump.

Any ideas? Anyone?
Old 08-08-2011, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OddMan View Post
I've resorted to working from my laptop for the time being but am still hoping there will be no need for a full reinstall on my desktop.
This rules out the PT software being the problem. Possibly driver related with the MIDI controller or audio interface. As I stated earlier a corrupt or broken download was the culprit in cases like this I've seen in the past. In your case, where you say the .exe is fine and you did all Avid optimizations/troubleshoots, I suspect the OS or drivers on your desktop.

Otherwise a working backup looks like the way to go. BTW, gotta keep those backups and/or clones up to date, then there's no hesitation to restore the OS in bizarre cases like this. I clone the system drive after every software install and update.