Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2018, 07:26 AM

Default Automatically copy imported audio

I just imported a few .wav files from an external harddrive (the box, preferences: "automatic copy on import" being checked.
PT did not copy the files in the audio folder but used the original ones from the external harddrive. Am i missing something here?

Béla Brandes | www.bbsounddesign.de
Old 10-15-2018, 06:14 PM

Default Re: Automatically copy imported audio

Quote:
Originally Posted by belasoul View Post
I just imported a few .wav files from an external harddrive (the box, preferences: "automatic copy on import" being checked.
PT did not copy the files in the audio folder but used the original ones from the external harddrive. Am i missing something here?

Perhaps you used the "Add" button instead of the "Convert" button. "Add" will link even though your prefs are set to always copy.
Old 10-16-2018, 12:01 AM

Though logic tells you that if that box is checked Add should work, I have found that I have to use Convert.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 10-16-2018, 12:55 AM

Thats it guys. Thank you. Yes the wording "always copy import" is probably a bit misleading here. cheers B

Béla Brandes | www.bbsounddesign.de
Old 10-16-2018, 09:32 AM

I have also been bitten by this one, so now, I drag or copy the files into my session folder and import from there. That way I know everything is contained in my session folder(though the imported files might be in their own separate folder within the session folder) another solution; Once you have imported everything, go to File>Save Copy> and check the box to include all audio files and save this on your recording drive(a good way to cover your ASSets).

While you're doing that, its also a good idea to Save Copy to another drive as a backup. Right now, you may be thinking, "I don't need to back this up yet"...but you could be wrong. I just had a recording drive delete several hundred files(all within a certain time frame) and I have been ripping my hair out for weeks over this as the projects on the drive were not finished. I have had to re-cut several things to restore what were supposed to be nearly finished recordings(the artist and some players are not happy, and I don't blame them....all I can do is eat all the extra hours to re-cut). Moral of the story; there are 2 kinds of DAW users...those that have had a drive fail, and those that WILL have a drive fail.....

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave