Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10

Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM

Default installing PT 10.3.10 on Mac OS 10.7.5

We've been running our mix stage on PT10 for 4 years now with Mac OS Snow Leopard, an installation originally used for PT 9. Apparently PT10 isn't compatible with Snow Leopard (which I found out recently), so I'm not sure how I ever installed it, but we had and it worked. Anyway, I needed to do a fresh install from the OS up and have a purchased installer for Lion so figured we'd use that instead to be compatible.

Mac OS 10.7.5 installs just fine, thankyouverymuch, and it seems that Pro Tools 10.3.10 isntalls just fine until I Restart after the install and then I get kernel panic on the Apple screen (Grey screen of death: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again" in 5 languages.)

I restore my backup of the Snow Leopard hard drive and it works still, but it also still has the issues I'm trying to fix. We have reinstalled Pro Tools a few times on that same system drive and it fixes the problems temporarily. The old Snow Leopard disk has apparently worn out (gives me an error message saying it's dirty, but I don't see any dirt). I guess my next try is going to be to create a new user on that restored Snow Leopard system, delete the old one, uninstall everything I can in the applications folder, and try installing Pro Tools there.

Any other ideas?
Old 06-29-2018, 02:25 AM

Default Re: installing PT 10.3.10 on Mac OS 10.7.5

pT 10.38 works fine on Lion ... sounds like a Hardware issue....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 06-29-2018, 03:36 AM

10.3.8, though? The installer I have is 10.3.10. Maybe I have to find a previous installer from Avid....?
Old 06-29-2018, 03:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingTor View Post
We've been running our mix stage on PT10 for 4 years now with Mac OS Snow Leopard, an installation originally used for PT 9. Apparently PT10 isn't compatible with Snow Leopard (which I found out recently), so I'm not sure how I ever installed it, but we had and it worked. Anyway, I needed to do a fresh install from the OS up and have a purchased installer for Lion so figured we'd use that instead to be compatible.

Mac OS 10.7.5 installs just fine, thankyouverymuch, and it seems that Pro Tools 10.3.10 isntalls just fine until I Restart after the install and then I get kernel panic on the Apple screen (Grey screen of death: "You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the Power button again" in 5 languages.)

I restore my backup of the Snow Leopard hard drive and it works still, but it also still has the issues I'm trying to fix. We have reinstalled Pro Tools a few times on that same system drive and it fixes the problems temporarily. The old Snow Leopard disk has apparently worn out (gives me an error message saying it's dirty, but I don't see any dirt). I guess my next try is going to be to create a new user on that restored Snow Leopard system, delete the old one, uninstall everything I can in the applications folder, and try installing Pro Tools there.

Any other ideas?
So your doing this dance on the Hackintosh right? Working outside the box like that you can expect to have issues. According to the compatibility chart here: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart PT10.3.10 is compatible with SL 10.6.7 running on a true Mac. With a Hack nothing is guaranteed. I had PT10.3.10 running on my old iMac system in my profile just fine on OSX 10.8.5 and OSX 10.9.5. The only reason PT10 isn't considered compatible according to Avid is the PT10 uninstaller doesn't work.

QAPLA!
Old 07-02-2018, 11:29 AM

Busted. I forgot I'd admitted to the Hackintosh on my profile. Never again, BTW, but in the meantime we're trying to work without sinking a lot more money into antiquated Digidesign hardware. (We'll upgrade the computer same time we upgrade that hardware.) This rig is only working as a dubber right now, we're using PT 12.6 rigs running beautifully on new iMacs to do the actual mixing, I'm just craving one more rig to re-record and print master with. We might even use PT9 for the dubbing, and I've still got the Snow Leopard boot drive running that. Since PT10 was working on 10.6.8, that's what I'm trying to do next. I'm sure it's something I could fix with the kext editor, but I'm not up for that this week.

Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 07-02-2018, 02:31 PM

I swear there used to be a forum here for hackintosh idiots like myself. Did Avid take it down, or was a tripping?
Old 07-02-2018, 05:28 PM

Quote:
I swear there used to be a forum here for hackintosh idiots like myself. Did Avid take it down, or was a tripping?
There was never a specific subforum for hackintosh builders. Those things would crop up in either the Mac or Windoze subforums.

QAPLA!
Old 07-02-2018, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Not an idiot, I thought I saw that too a while back

Anyhooo if you need PT 10.3.8 let me know and I will send it to you or link to the installer so you can try that version out.

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 07-03-2018, 10:49 PM

Sure that would be great, thanks! I'm at an impasse with 10.3.10 and Lion. I can also try Mountain Lion, but I'm booked mixing (on different computers, thankfully) until middle of next week. I might just go back to Snow Leopard, but for various complicated and frankly boring reasons, that's not going to be easy to do either. (I will persevere, though, come hell or high water.)