Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 9
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2010, 06:03 PM

Default Change buffer on 3rd party, Restart required?!?!?

SERIOUSLY???!!!!
This has completely ruined PT9 for me, and I seriously hope it is simply user error on my part.

If I try to change the buffer size (Hardware Setup, Launch control panel), it actually forces me to save my session and relaunch PT! LOL! In fact, if I change ANYTHING with the hardware, it produces this dialogue and then forces a shut down. Since PT seems to love throwing errors that require changing the buffer and such, this is a real flow killer now.

On top of that, it seems to be randomly deleting stuff. This time it was prefs.. resulting in the Quick Start being launched, no "Open Recent" history, etc. LOL! So much for the "Pro" in Pro Tools. Or is this an option? Maybe, "Eh, Tools" and then we get to buy a vowel (such as an "o"), since the Pr already seems to be working? (sorry, a little ticked off right now since it has ruined the creativity that was alive when I began today.. really missing PARIS right now...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikki-k View Post
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:03 PM

Default Re: Change buffer on 3rd party, Restart required?!?!?

I faced a similar problem with my ASIO device, an RME Fireface UC. I changed the latency to 512 samples and Protools told me to restart the application. I've been using Reaper so long that I've gotten used to this requiring no restart. Four to five years ago, restarting the application when changing the sample buffer was the norm. Now it's not. Protools still has ways to go in that department, but it's something you setup once or twice per project hopefully.

Actually I've setup up so little hardware in Protools for such a long time that I actually thought it couldn't spot my ASIO driver at first. The "Hardware" section is actually just a "Launch config" button window. The playback engine config is the place where you pick the hardware.

Guess Avid hasn't really looked at anyone elses conventions :) .

Does the PT 9 startup take long for you as well ?

I mean not just the first time when it painfully scans every plugin with snail-like speed, but simply when loading the program to be presented with the open session dialog window for example.

I remember the Mac version of Protools 8 I used for mixing shows a few months ago starting up much more quickly than version 9 on my faster i7 Win7x64 PC. It's a bit puzzling.

Maybe it's a debug build or they're quadruple checking hundreds of things before starting up. It reminds me of Protools 5.1 TDM on a 450 MHz G3 starting up years ago.
Old 11-25-2010, 07:32 PM

Is this a windows thing or is it a pt9 thing?

Lincoln mitchell

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 11-26-2010, 01:09 PM

^^^ it is solely a PT9 thing with 3rd party I/O

This is completely unacceptable. I would love to run around to billboards advertising PT9 as being "Now 3rd party interface compatible!!' and use black spray paint to write in "PARTIALLY and ANNOYINGLY" in there. Sort of like buying a Corvette you have to stop and restart to change gears.

Combine this with the ongoing VI problems (RTAS in general still???), and I am unable to see PT9 as a viable creative tool.
Quote:
Sometimes ya just gotta put your tongue on the 9V battery just to see what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-26-2010, 02:42 PM

Quote:
^^^ it is solely a PT9 thing with 3rd party I/O
Not on my Mac. No restart needed with the built-in sound or my new M-Audio ProFire Lightbridge. Only a restart needed if I am actually changing the I/O.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:34 PM

No restarting required here either, on Mac OSX 10.6.4. There is a slight pause but that's it. If I can remember correctly the only time it prompts me to save and reopen the project is when I change the delay compensation length.
Old 11-26-2010, 04:24 PM

Well for those who are suffering with this I am sympathetic, but happy to hear others are not having this problem. Good luck nikki - hold off on the spray paint for now......

www.studiofifty.net

Mac Pro 2.66 Ghz Quad, 10.6.6, 12GB Ram, PT9, Logic 9, Kontakt, East West, VSL, Waves, Sound Toys, IK Multimedia
RME FF UC, Focusrite Octopre mkii, UA LA 610 mkii, MC Transport, Yamaha HS80M, Lauten, AKG, Sure, Blue
Old 11-26-2010, 05:11 PM

I dont have this problem with my ProFire 610 (Mac), though I'm not sure you'd consider that "3rd party" or not. In any case, the only time I need to restart is if I switch interfaces. Like from the built in audio to the ProFire.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:15 PM

W7x64 here, so I am approaching that point of eliminating OSX as being affected at all with this (effectively). So!

Are there any Windows users that are able to use a 3rd party I/O and change the buffer without having to quit and relaunch PT9???
(W7x64, i7 machine, MR816CS firewire I/O.. works fine with other apps... no other 3rd party I/O options to check against at this time)
Quote:
Old 11-26-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:
W7x64 here, so I am approaching that point of eliminating OSX as being affected at all with this (effectively). So!

Are there any Windows users that are able to use a 3rd party I/O and change the buffer without having to quit and relaunch PT9???
(W7x64, i7 machine, MR816CS firewire I/O.. works fine with other apps... no other 3rd party I/O options to check against at this time)
nope nikki, that is how it is. also has to be a buffer that is used in pt. in other words you cannot use a 48hw buffer even if your interface is capable of it. must be the 64-128-256-512-1024.

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 4-11-2024)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10