Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Tips & Tricks
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2009, 03:48 PM

Default Writing automation?

OK.. here's a question for you that write automation..

I'll go through and 'ride the fader' for a coarse level, and then go in and write the detail..

My question is how do you approach writing the detail? I've seen where some like to highlight an area, word, phrase, etc... and adjust that area at once, I know people that like to pencil everything in... What do you do?

Also, when doing this, do you try to set a limit on the range that you write?, (ie: plus/minus 3dB), or do you watch a level meter?

At the end of the day it has to sound good.. I'm just curious about how some of you get there.

Thanks!
What I found when I got there,
was that I couldn't stay away!

Hobo Shave!
Old 11-22-2009, 06:10 PM

Default Re: Writing automation?

I think it greatly depends on what's happening in the mix. If, for example, you've heard the mix and you want to add some dynamic build ups, or build downs, you can simply work in that area specifically. If you're writing automation into a whole song then start from the beginning, memorize where the automation happens, and do it all in one take.

I find it REALLY hard to pencil in my automation, and I also find it's easier when doing automation when my tracks are grouped. It's also easier if you have physical faders, which I don't get all the time.
Old 11-22-2009, 08:24 PM

Default Re: Writing automation?

I split about 60/40 in favor of simply mousing the automation by dropping breakpoints and dragging the line. 40% of the time I will ride a fader. When I use the fader, I select to show VOLUME in the edit window. This is handy as when you grab the fader, the volume line turns red. This makes it easy to see how much you are moving the volume, as well as allowing you the option of a smooth fade back to the original line(perfect for fixing a section vs the entire song). For this, I use TOUCH mode. LATCH mode will leave the change at its last position and write that level to the end of the song. I used to do almost all with the mouse, but I am forcing myself to get used to a C24 in a friend's studio and it has given me a new-found friendship with the faders on my 003.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave