Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 02-28-2006, 02:26 PM

Default mBox pre amps

Hey Folks,

Professionals using the gear will be able to answer this for me.

Is it true that the original mBox has Focusrite pre amps, that are more desirable
(better quality etc) than the pre amps that are in the new mBox 2? I'm not totally
up on pre-amps...so fill me in if you wish.

I'm leaning toward buying an original mBox for my G4/800...So is there anything else
I should be aware of, that would compel me to purchase the New mBox2 instead?
Seems a good idea to buy the original - now at a reduced price - if it still does wonderful things in the Pro Tools environment?

Comments please...and appreciated.

Kia43
Toronto
Old 02-28-2006, 04:41 PM

Default Re: mBox pre amps

I am no professional but..........

There is nothing wrong with the pre's in the M-Box 1 vrs -2. Or the comparison of either to a pro-sumer level Focusrite pre-amp.

You will have to spend probably double the cost of what the M-Box costs in the first place before you will hear huge gains in sound quality when it comes to prosumer quality pre-amps.

You could make some amazing stuff with the M-Box pre's if there are good solid engineering skills behind them.

Best of Luck with your decision.

Old 02-28-2006, 08:04 PM

I had an emergency 3 years ago , I was recording voice overs for an animated movie, and the post studio's console broken down, and something wierd happened with the master clock (yamaha 02r and API preamps, TC Gold Chanel)) My only choice was the little MBOX that the studio had at the offce to play back music from Itunes . I used 2 mikes an old neumann 87 and a 4033, and i recorded both microphones at the same time (capsules aligned) I end up with the 4033 (super transients, no silbance) The sound was awesome, even after i compressed a lot, the noise was low , to be honest , an expensive voice over sound. My friend (the studio manager ) uses it to record his amps in stereo (for chorus effects) He loves it, and he's very used to the more expensive boutique preamps . I like this preamps better that the ones on the yamaha digital mixers.
Old 03-01-2006, 05:45 PM

The last time you posted a nearly identical question, this is the reply I gave you:

"I don't know if it's true about the pres in Mbox 2 being bunk; I've heard that, too, but so far no Mbox 1 >> Mbox 2 users have adequately answered the question.

The pres in Mbox 1 are Focusrite; depending on who you ask, they're either from the Green or the Platinum series. Either way, not bad, not super. I use mine for VOs and spots.

Since both Mboxes are USB 1.1, they're both OK for your Mac. (IMHO, try to find an Mbox 1 if you can.)"
Old 03-02-2006, 09:53 AM

I guess I am semi-pro if 10= years experience and a few indie albums in stores? But I use the original M Box in my home studio w/ my G4 Cube. I love the Focusrites!!!!!! They are very sensitive and work great w/ a good condenser Mic, crystal clear. If you are more of a live musicia, use to warm tube pre's, the M Box will sound very hard and harsh to you, but for digital apps and music I think they are great.

Recently bought a new M Box for a biz associate after he borrowed mine and loved it. He told me he hates the new sound, and interface of the piece!!!!

Just a heads up, latency is an issue w/ the original, but is easily fixed by SHIFTING TRACKS EALIER by 164 SAMPLES (after the track is recorded). And there is no midi I/O.

I own an 002 as well and would suggest just spending the extra money now if you plan to expand your studio in a year or two anyway! But work great on a laptop, at home or in a tour bus (using AC power from you Powerbook PLUGGED IN!Have small glitches when just using computer battery).

Peace.
Mic Paradise

www.forbiddenartmovement.com
www.myspace.com/micparadise
Old 03-02-2006, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Just a heads up, latency is an issue w/ the original, but is easily fixed by SHIFTING TRACKS EALIER by 164 SAMPLES (after the track is recorded). And there is no midi I/O.

I love my mbox with focusrites too, and better still, the 164 samples shift has not been necessary (ie was fixed in an update) since 6.somethingorother!
(although software monitoring latency is still an issue for some, who don't like the mix knob or want to monitor inputs with software effects/plugs)
Old 03-02-2006, 07:56 PM

Thanx for your reply. Not sure what U mean by prosumer, but your info
was appreciated.

Kia
Old 03-02-2006, 08:00 PM

Radio Moo
>>The last time you posted a nearly identical question, this is the reply I gave you:

I've never posted this question here before. You are confused with another poster. I've only just 2 weeks ago learned that mBox 2 exists. My only other posts to the DUC were
wanted ads seeking an mBox.

Kia
Old 03-02-2006, 08:02 PM

You must be confusing me with someone else RADIOMOO.
I've never posted this question before. Only other posts I've put out,
were 'wanted posts' looking for an mBox to buy

kia
Old 03-02-2006, 08:04 PM

pnilla....do idea what latency is all about. Or what shifting is that you mention here.
Thanks for the post though.

Kia