Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > AAX Plug-ins
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Default Waves $29 specials!!!

Finally got the Waves SSL bus compressor for $29 If you want the entire SSL bundle, get it from dontcrack.com for $147(I already have the softube SSL in Console 1)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-27-2017, 09:37 AM

Default Re: Waves $29 specials!!!

I have Duende but I have been buying the Waves SSL stuff as it comes out in singles. I don't have the EQ, but it's in the channel strip already. IMHO they're very nice. Haven't tried the buss comp and dig Duende's but for this price I'll pick it up.

Instagram:
https://www.instagram.com/sparkletune/
Old 11-27-2017, 10:20 PM

I don’t know how many posts I have come across on the web about folks wishing for Waves to release the SSL Comp independently, in much the same way the did for the E and G channels.

I think there would be many having their wishes granted with this sale.
Old 03-24-2018, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Finally got the Waves SSL bus compressor for $29 If you want the entire SSL bundle, get it from dontcrack.com for $147(I already have the softube SSL in Console 1)

Albee how do you like the SSl emulation in the C1? Are you using the Waves bus compressor on the mix bus instead of the C1 on the mix buss..
Old 03-24-2018, 06:56 PM

the glue makes waves bus comp ssl seem.. well.. just slightly inferior by comparison (to put it extremely nicely).

I say don't bother.. but that's me. I wouldn't use it if it was a free product.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:12 PM

I like The Glue a lot, as well as the Slate Grey(their version of the SSL). I gave up on The Glue due to their PITA authorization scheme. I change system drives a lot(trust me, I have my reasons) and The Glue loses its authorization every time I swap drives(which might get done 3 times in a single day). At first, Cytomic was cool about resetting things, but after explaining it 4 times, I said *&^% it Times like that make me appreciate iLok and the Waves USB system a lot

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-24-2018, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
I like The Glue a lot, as well as the Slate Grey(their version of the SSL). I gave up on The Glue due to their PITA authorization scheme. I change system drives a lot(trust me, I have my reasons) and The Glue loses its authorization every time I swap drives(which might get done 3 times in a single day). At first, Cytomic was cool about resetting things, but after explaining it 4 times, I said *&^% it Times like that make me appreciate iLok and the Waves USB system a lot
that's a really excellent point.. i never updated mine after they changed auths.

Ik ssl buss is good too but again is challenge/response.

I keep all my waves licenses on a sandisk usb stick and never had an issue.

Slate is good as well but I am not that impressed with the grey TBH.. I am SO impressed with the distressor though.. I have never been able to do degrees of GR with any other native comp i can do with that, without audio falling apart.

The UAD ssl bus comp rev 2 is very good, so for anyone who has UAD2, i recommend that very much (as well as the fair child rev 2, also off topic to ssl i know but it's amazing).

I use tons of slate stuff, disappointed in very few of them (i subscribe and will likely never ever stop that as long as I'm around ).

I like many waves plugins just not their compressors (or dynamics in general).. Only dynamics from waves i will use are the DPR402, PIE and occasionally the DBX.

Another option is the NI ssl coded by cool stuff labs who are very talented coders.. sadly it lacks a high pass but for those wanting an alternative to the waves that actually sounds good, that's a very valid choice as well. Or the Duende of course, even though that models a different ssl bus comp. Still very useful.
Old 03-24-2018, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
Albee how do you like the SSl emulation in the C1? Are you using the Waves bus compressor on the mix bus instead of the C1 on the mix buss..
Not albee but can only give you an opinion on the C1 i played with of a friend's. I will be buying one soon due to the new integration with Cubase that it lacks with PT..

I didn't even realise there was a C1 ssl bus comp but the channel strip was spot on, if that's helpful at all.

I can't think of a "bad" softube plugin. One of the first native takes on 1176 and still one of my very favourites by far for example.
Old 03-26-2018, 07:31 AM

I like the IK version for it also has a 1.5:1 ratio that not every emulation has. This is most likely due to the fact that it was introduced by SSL in a later revision. The original G desk version, as was modelled by Waves amoung others, didn’t have that feature.

Then there is the VSC. Not exactly an emulation, more like Vertigo’s theoretical idea of how to improve the G design, but put into practice. More transparent, but does a similar job. I very much like it’s “soft” ratio as well.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.a.billington View Post
I like the IK version for it also has a 1.5:1 ratio that not every emulation has. This is most likely due to the fact that it was introduced by SSL in a later revision. The original G desk version, as was modelled by Waves amoung others, didn’t have that feature.

Then there is the VSC. Not exactly an emulation, more like Vertigo’s theoretical idea of how to improve the G design, but put into practice. More transparent, but does a similar job. I very much like it’s “soft” ratio as well.
I have both the IK version and the VSC from Brainworx and tend to like the VSC a bit more (once I get my head around how the controls interact). Also have the NI version and it rarely gets used - it was part of a bundle I got from NI.

QAPLA!