Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-11-2014, 05:08 PM

Default Downloaded Trial Can't record or play.

I downloaded the trial. when I insert a track, no matter what type, when I hit record, the tracking bar does not move and nothing is recorded. When I press play, The tracking bar does not move. I have tried putting notes in manually with the midi editor and it still will not play and the tracking bar does not move. I am running a mixer into a usb Behringer U-Control instead of a typical Audio Interface. Can anyone help me figure out how to begin using this program? I've never had this problem while using other DAWs THANKS!
Old 08-11-2014, 05:29 PM

Default Re: Downloaded Trial Can't record or play.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acclaim93 View Post
I downloaded the trial. when I insert a track, no matter what type, when I hit record, the tracking bar does not move and nothing is recorded. When I press play, The tracking bar does not move. I have tried putting notes in manually with the midi editor and it still will not play and the tracking bar does not move. I am running a mixer into a usb Behringer U-Control instead of a typical Audio Interface. Can anyone help me figure out how to begin using this program? I've never had this problem while using other DAWs THANKS!
You could start by giving us more info on your system - like PC or Mac, what make/model, operating system, PT version, etc. Do you have an iLok2 if you're using the PT11 version? You need to have that and an account at iLok.com so Avid can deposit the license asset on it so you can run the trial. Yes - you do need an iLok2 for the trial.

To record anything on a track first you need to record enable the track itself, then press the record button in the transport window and then press the play button to record. You can only record to audio, Instrument or MIDI tracks. For audio you can only record to audio tracks; for MIDI you can record to either MIDI or instrument tracks.

The Behringer U-Control IS an audio interface - just make sure it has the drivers for your computer system.

Oh yeah - speaking of computer systems - is yours one of those qualified by Avid to run PT? You can run PT on some really strange systems but a lot depends on how computer savvy you are. Just because your existing system ran other daws (you don't say which - they all have different requirements and what works for something like Sonar might not work in PT if said system is light on processing. PT has a steep learning curve and you can start by reading the Users Guide (aka The Manual). If you want to go further the PT101 course book is good for newbies.

In short - if you want to become successful with PT you WILL have to become something of a computer geek. Working with other daws will help in understanding some things but not all.

Google and You Tube are great resources for learning PT.

QAPLA!
Old 08-12-2014, 08:59 PM

Default Re: Downloaded Trial Can't record or play.

You also need to be recording to a second drive, not the system (C:) drive where Pro Tools is installed.

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z690 AERO D
CPU: Intel Alder Lake Core i9-12900K
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15S
RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR5 64GB (2x 32gb 5200MHz)
Drives: 2 x Samsung 980 Pro 2TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (Record & Samples)
1 x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB NVME PCIE 4.0 M.2 SSD (OS Win 11 Pro)

GPU:Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 12GB GDDR6 PCIE 4
PSU: Corsair HX Series HX850 Platinim
CASE: Fractal Define XL R2
PT 11HD (v11.3.2) Omni s/pdif <> AxeFxIII
HD 96I/O