Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Post Production > Post - Surround - Video
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-11-2009, 02:21 PM

Default Printing Stems/Mixes: What is "everybody" doing?

Any time I talk post production work flows with people, I always tend to hear the same phases about what "everybody else does" - however the actual processes they are insisting are used by the masses are often as varied as the people making the claim...

So I figured I'd go to some horses mouths and ask how you're doing it. While I wouldn't claim I'm a seasoned vet, i think I've seen the basic system setups and they seem to fall into one of two main categories:

Mix in the box, stay in the box.

Folks working on DAW systems like ProTools, mixing their material using these systems and routing the finished mixed material internally and re-recording into that same system -- using one system simultaneously as both the playback and the re-record system. The finished materials are digital files.

Mix in one world, print in another.

Folks, most of them still on DAW systems like Pro Tools, mixing the material and instead routing their finished mixed materials into a seperate system for re-recording. Some of the secondary recording systems including things like:
- Audio Tape Decks (i.e. DA88)
- Digital Hard Disc Dubber Decks (i.e. Tascam MX2424, DADR-5000)
- Secondary DAW (i.e. Second Pro Tools System)
- Direct To Video Layback (i.e. outputting from mix session direct to video tape deck)

I just wondered how the majority of you work - and if you experience limitations or problems in your chosen work flow.