Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 10
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-02-2014, 07:49 AM

Default PT 10 Full Lockup... let's see if we can figure it out

I am not sure why you are removing the Eleven Rack plugins, you should just be running the stock standard Eleven Rack GUI plugins that came as a part of Pro Tools 10. You did'nt install old Eleven Rack plugins yourself did you? Not that I expect that to cause any problem but there is just no need to install anything except the Eleven Rack drivers with Pro Tools 10.

Full clean reinstalls might be a good idea if you still find problems.

To uninstall Pro Tools follow instructions here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ow_To/en351607.

I cannot remember if EZ drummer has an uninstaller, if so run it.

Then manually delete any remaining plugins in the AAX and RTAS folders.

Then install Pro Tools and follow all the install instructions and very importantly all the systems optimization instructions in the install documentation. See if that works reliably and then try installing EZ drummer again (RTAS and AAX so you have both versions there to check/play with).

And I really hope you have followed the install instructions and optimized this system properly, especially set Pro Tools to run as administrator (that is different than you being an administrator user). That has fixed some of these virtual function call errors in the last -- but a quick search on DUC shows the leading cause of those have been bugs/incompatibility with rewire clients like Fruity Loops. Do you have any rewire clients, or any other DAWs or composing, DJ etc. software installed on this PC?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 AM

Default Re: PT 10 Full Lockup... let's see if we can figure it out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Ramm View Post
Wrong settings in the playback engine, start at. Host 1 CPU/99%. Delay compensation none. Ignore errors unchecked. IO buffer 512 or 1024 -- 256 is likely too optimistic when not using a dedicated audio drive.
I got these settings to apply and have now opened, played, and closed and the demo session several times with no runtime errors or freezes with ZERO plugins. This seems a good start. There's now this very brief pause when closing protools, nothing to be concerned about, but interesting that it seems to be doing some final task now before exiting gracefully.

I will add the eleven UI plugs back in first. Is there one I should be using over the other, as far as types/plug folders?
Old 01-02-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I am not sure why you are removing the Eleven Rack plugins, you should just be running the stock standard Eleven Rack GUI plugins that came as a part of Pro Tools 10. You did'nt install old Eleven Rack plugins yourself did you? Not that I expect that to cause any problem but there is just no need to install anything except the Eleven Rack drivers with Pro Tools 10.

Full clean reinstalls are probably a good idea.

To uninstall Pro Tools follow instructions here http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...ow_To/en351607.

I cannot remember if EZ drummer has an uninstaller, if so run it.

Then manually delete any remaining plugins in the AAX and RTAS folders.

Then install Pro Tools and follow all the install instructions and very importantly all the systems optimization instructions in the install documentation. See if that works reliably and then try installing EZ drummer again (RTAS and AAX so you have both versions there to check/play with).

I'll hold off on pulling it all out for the moment, to see if these settnigs changes were the issue.

the only reason i'm tweaking with the 11R plugs is because they were in the folders with all the others, and I moved them all at once. I only installed the latest 11R drivers, no other specific plugs. Just wasn't sure exactly which eleven plugs to keep so I moved them with all the others, at which point the 11r UI interface within PT was screwed up (no controls, just the window appearing).

The system is very optimized... it boots very clean (and fast) and the task manager shows only the most required services running (this is where I CAN be confident, as I've been a windows tech for a long time and am intimately familiar with windows services, startup apps, and performance options).

As far as EZ drummer, I wasn't really given a choice as to what types of plugs were installed, I just ran the initial install and all the updates per their instructions.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Wrong settings in the playback engine, start at. Host 1 CPU/99%. Delay compensation none. Ignore errors unchecked. IO buffer 512 or 1024 -- 256 is likely too optimistic when not using a dedicated audio drive.
the delay compensation goes back to "long" every now and then, not sure when. very odd.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:06 AM

I am not asking if you think the system is optimized in general I am asking if you have followed every last step of the specific Pro Tools optimization instructions. Do every last thing no matter how inconvenient or silly sounding. That means set Pro Tools to run as Administrator, disable power management and USB power management, disable WiFi, disable Bluetooth, uninstall or disable all antivirus software (including from Microsoft), etc. etc. etc. every last thing. You might be able to undo some of these once the system is 100% stable. You need to read your Pro Tools install guide and/or look under the "Help us help you..." Link above on this page.
Old 01-02-2014, 08:09 AM

Quote:
I am not asking if you think the system is optimized in general I am asking if you have followed every last step of the specific Pro Tools optimization instructions. Do every last thing no matter how inconvenient or silly sounding. That means set Pro Tools to run as Administrator, disable power management and USB power management, disable WiFi, disable Bluetooth, uninstall or disable all antivirus software (including from Microsoft), etc. etc. etc. every last thing. You might be able to undo some of these once the system is 100% stable. You need to read your Pro Tools install guide and/or look under the "Help us help you..." Link above on this page.
understood, and yes, I have definitely done all that. I only saw win7-related instructions, but believe I have found all of the equivalents in win8. I will review again to be sure.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:27 AM

I had a similar problem and the culprit ended up being Native Instruments AAX32 plugins. I put those in the unused folder and installed RTAS versions instead. My computer has been pretty stable ever since. Maybe try putting all your plug-ins and the unused folder, checking for stability, and if stable, drag them back in the primary plug in folders company by company until the problem resurfaces. This will at least tell you if any plug-ins are to blame.

i9 10900K, Asus Tuf Gaming Z490 Plus, Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB, NVIDIA 1070ti

OS/apps, sessions, and samples all on separate drives.
Old 01-02-2014, 09:43 AM

I think it's time to admit defeat on this one. I didn't realize the hardware requirements for PT10 were so damned specific.

I'd love to stay with Windows, since I know what I'm doing there, but I guess I should ask what the cheapest mac available is that is fully compatible with PT, such that I can expect zero trouble out of the gate and just get to work. Any suggestions are appreciated... I have a best buy card and can get 18 month interest free financing.
Old 01-02-2014, 11:31 AM

Default PT 10 Full Lockup... let's see if we can figure it out

Depends what you want to do with it and what other stuff you need to run.

The iMac is a very good start, but even it is going to be expensive for a system really tailored to Pro Tools. You should get an i7 model, 8GB RAM and will still need external storage (7200 rpm or SSD, ideally in a thunderbolt enclosure). And that will mean a 27" iMac. Under no circumstance get the Fusion drive option, it seems to be causing all sorts of problems with Pro Tools. Apple's internal SSDs are expensive, so maybe stick with just a 7200 rpm internal HDD. Lacie and others make nice Thunderbolt external drives.

If you already have a good monitor the Mac Mini is also an option, but at somewhat less performance.

And any system you buy will come with Maverics which only today officially supports Pro Tools 11 (and therefore only AAX64 plugins). EZ Drummer does support AAX64 but you should probably plan on needing to get a Pro Tools 11 upgrade if you don't have it. Pro Rools 10 can be installed and does work but the uninstaller is broken and it is not clear what Avid's plans are there for support on Mavericks. Pro Tools 11 does not currently support the Eleven Rack GUI, Avid has promised this is coming--unclear if this means a stand alone GUI or one like the current integrated GUI (or both). While it is very nice, you don't really need the GUI to drive an Eleven Rack.

Last edited by Darryl Ramm; 01-02-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 01-19-2014, 11:50 AM

Any luck finding a solution? I'm having a similar issue with our main system.

Running ProTools 10.3.?, 12 gigs Ram, Avid Approved Dell System 2.8 Dual Core (3500 I believe), on Windows 7. Stock plugins only with a few massey trials installed. Sorry for the lack of specifics, I'm not at the studio right now, I'll fill in the blanks when I get in later this week.

Basically, ProTools freezes on a whim. It's happened a few times when using a plugin, and a few times when doing nothing more than just moving the cursor. Total of 6 freezes in one week.

Any chance there's a hardware issue causing this?