Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)

Old 03-05-2009, 09:17 PM
GNA

Default Huge Problems With Pro Tools, Fast Track Ultra and Plug-Ins

I recently purchased Pro Tools and a Fast Track Ultra, and I'm now running the new M-Powered 8.

For the second time tonight, Pro Tools has stopped giving me the option to choose inputs other than 1-2 and S/PDIF on my Fast Track Ultra. This happened earlier tonight, and I kept rebooting the device and rebooting Pro Tools. I even rebooted my PC and tried making sure that my AC adapter was booted up before turning on my Fast Track Ultra, but the only solution was uninstalling the driver and reinstalling it. That fixed the problem.

Now I'm back to the same issue again. All the inputs were available in my last session with Pro Tools 8. I had shut down the program for a while, and after booting it up again, I no longer had the other inputs available on the Fast Track Ultra.

UPDATE: I edited the post because I had solved one of the two problems I first mentioned. As for the second problem, which is the issue with the inputs suddenly disappearing, I was able to unplug my Fast Track ultra from the USB port, turn it off, then power cycle it and plug it back in. Thankfully it worked this time, whereas before it didn't help and I had to reinstall the driver.

I hope this problem goes away, but if it continues, then I suspect that there is a problem with the latest Vista 32-bit driver from M-Audio. I don't imagine that it's a software bug with Pro Tools, because it's probably just detecting what it can.

I'll look into the Setup>I/O settings. Thanks for the response. My hope is that this is just a strange fluke with the device and its driver.
Old 03-05-2009, 10:46 PM

Default Re: Huge Problems With Pro Tools, Fast Track Ultra and Plug-Ins

GNA,

Have you tried going to Setup>I/O and setting the inputs, outputs, etc to "Default". Sometimes opening a session that doesn't use all of the I/O will turn some of them off.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Old 03-08-2009, 09:16 PM

man, i just got a fast track ultra 8 myself....you need to go to the m-audio forums as well as here......unfortunately there are a lot of problems with the fast track....but there is also a lot of help over there...check it out!
Old 06-29-2009, 07:46 PM
GNA

I'm back to this same original problem again!!! Pro Tools no longer recognizes inputs 3 or 4 from my Fast Track Ultra USB audio device, even though it worked fine for months. I've tried reinstalling the driver, rebooting my PC, and power cycling the audio device. But I'm back to the same maddening problem that has no rhyme or reason.

Pro Tools 8 will only recognize inputs 1 and 2 from my device, even though 3 and 4 pick up sound from plugged in instruments and all the device settings are the same as they were before.

Someone please help!
Old 06-29-2009, 09:47 PM

Have you tried resetting the CMOS switch on the inside of the tower on the motherboard? You slide it over for about 10 seconds and let go and it resets all your USB ports to what you have plugged in. I had a problem like this where it wouldn't recognize the port usages if you unplugged and plugged and unplugged and so on.. in and out of the USB ports. If you do reset this switch, you will probably have to reset the time and date.

Doug