Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-30-2004, 10:53 AM

Default More Clicks and Pops

Hello,
I am having loud clicks whenever I start or stop playback. I know others have posted about this, but they seem to have different circumstances. I tracked down the biggest portion of the noise to the bass guitar track. I was using RCompressor, Amplitube and a Focusrite EQ. The Amplitube and Focusrite plugs were really adding a lot of high end, which boosted whatever pop was already there into a huge burst. Other, not so eq'd tracks, don't have so much of the problem and are bearable. None of the plugs are showing overs, but you'd think because the pop is so loud.
I'd really appreciate any knowledge from someone who has successfully delt with this problem.
Thanks,
Chas

PT 6.7 cs2
G4 Dp 1.25
1.25 gig ram
Old 11-30-2004, 08:01 PM

Default Re: More Clicks and Pops

Is the bass track record-enabled when you are experience this problem? There was a known bug listed in the Read Me documentation that came with the original release of 6.7:

Clicks and Pops Occur When Starting or Stopping Playback (Item #38454)
An audible click or pop may occur when starting or stopping playback when a track is record-enabled. If you hear a click or pop under these circumstances, turn off record-enable on any record-enabled tracks.

In cs1, one of the fixes was a correction of clicks on stopping playback, however, it had a different item number and slightly different description, so not sure if it fixed item #38454.

Fixed: An Audible Pop Would Result when Stopping Playback (Item #54509)
When Pro Tools was playing with a track record enabled, stopping playback could result in a pop if the input source was bussed or was a hardware insert.

if you are getting this with no tracks record enabled, then it must be a different issue.
Old 12-01-2004, 04:29 AM

I have found during playback that dynamic voice alocation causes clicks.
I usually need to turn off DYN voice for just 1 stereo track and give it an assigned voice.
(Sessions above 20 track)

(The clicks I reference, vary in location and can be seen (and heard) on the meters but not on the waveform)
Old 12-01-2004, 01:26 PM

Thanks for the replies. What I'm experiencing is without any record enabled tracks.

Chas
Old 12-01-2004, 02:27 PM

Since it is happening most prominently on a bass guitar track, it sounds as though you ar just starting and stopping playback at a point in the track that is not at a zero-crossing.
Old 12-02-2004, 05:40 PM

well that's interesting - are we to zoom into sample level to chose our playback startpoints? - just kidding excuse my sarcasm! i'm having the same problem on 6.2.3 and things are so buggy i'm scared to go any further down the upgrade route for now... especially when i browse this place. what helped me once was to use applejack and fix the mac from ground up which is what this little unix script does. somebody recommended it on the duc. it really improved my clicks, well for a while at least. protools pops on startup while accessing the hardware, it pops on playback and stop - of course it's worse on bass heavy tracks as the wavelength increases. i never heard a single pop under OS9 and PT 5.1 or 5.3 when the automatic region fade in was set to 3ms - never ever! the whole combo of OSX and PT has a long way to go to get to where we were so completely safe and sound last year.... well i guess at least we've won some LE midi users who join the party and i see major post houses go LE.... progress is so omni-directional these days it's hard to control (just like those dreaded low freakquencies).
kai