Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > MIDI

Old 02-29-2020, 01:29 PM

Default 003 Rack, Command 8, Roland XP-80 & PT

Greetings all.
Started with Protools 7 but moved to another state, rebuilt studio and decided to go with the latest PT.
My hardware is a Roland XP80, 003 RACK, Command 8 and Windows 10 running PT 2019 12.0.
PROBLEM: I currently cannot get input from the XP80 using a Instrument track or a MIDI track. I DO have input thru the AUX and MASTER and have sound coming FROM the internal sounds in the XP80. In other words, setting up an insert on the Instrument or MIDI track gets me nothing but the XP80 sounds. No insert sounds. What is confusing the heck out of me is "what do my inputs and outputs need to be on each track.
Here is some of my setup and hopefully you can correct what needs fixed.

1) XP-80 Keyboard = Sync mode set to INTERNAL. Other callouts for SYNC MODE are REMOTE & SLAVE. Im not sure which one I need to use virtual instruments on a Instrument Track or a MIDI / Aux track.

2) I have 4 modes on the XP80: PERFORM, PATCH, Rhythm and SEQUENCER. I thought I needed to be in SEQUENCER mode but now I'm not sure.

3) XP80 Local Switch is ON. I read a few posts that said On and OFF so I'm not sure. My MIDI cables are set IN to OUT, OUT to IN from the XP80 to the Command 8.

4) PT Settings: Hardware Setup / Peripherals = FW 003 Rack and Clock source set to Internal.
Playback Engine FW 003 RACK. H/W Buffer Size 256 Samples. Dynamic plugin processing box IS checked.
I/O - INPUT Set to FW 003 RACK and I selected DEFAULT The same for OUTPUT.
MIDI Studio Setup - Instrument Name ROLAND XP-80. INPUT PORTS ( The ports really confuse me ) MIDIIN2 (Command8) Emulated. OUTPUT PORT: MIDIOUT2 (Command8) Emulated. Send and Rcv channels all blue / checked.
MIDI BEAT CLOCK: There are 14 callouts here and I'm like WTH! I have all of them checked. Is this correct?
If I have a Virtual Piano installed onto the INSTRUMENT TRACK and tap the VI Keys, I get THAT sound from the virtual instrument. However, if I tap the keys on the XP80, I get the XP80 sounds. Still no DATA is coming thru the MIDI track. Very confusing and I'm on day 3 of this. It must be something simple that I am missing. Ant help?
Old 03-04-2020, 12:55 PM

Default Re: 003 Rack, Command 8, Roland XP-80 & PT

I'm not sure I understand what you are trying to do, but if you are just trying to use your XP80 to trigger your virtual piano sound (plugin piano). You just need to make sure you choose your XP80 as the virtual channel/track inputs (sometimes you cannot see the inputs on virtual channel in pro tools and you need to go to bottom left of "edit" window drop down menu and make sure virtual inputs is enabled) On the virtual instrument channel chose your XP80 as the midi input and you should hear your virtual piano sound. You do not need an aux channel or any other channel as you stated. You only need one virtual channel/track (I suggest stereo). Hope this helps
Old 03-29-2020, 11:32 AM

Default Re: 003 Rack, Command 8, Roland XP-80 & PT

Sorry for the long response wait. Here is what I am trying to do.
I have a Roland XP-80 Keyboard. I like the patches I have in it, along with some add-on patches. I want to load a MIDI file off the internet, and have the XP-80 play the sounds. Then I can go in, assign different patches and tweek it as needed.
Right now, I have a STEREO AUX track and a MIDI TRACK. I show input when I RECORD ENABLE but no sound. I selected a patch from my drop down menu on the MIDI track and still get no sound.
My MIDI THRU are set to ON in the Roland XP-80. I tried turning them OFF and still no sound.
On the AUX track, my INPUT is set to ANALOG 5-6 which is where the keyboard is plugged into on my 003 RACK. ( The mute button is off BTW )
The OUTPUT on the AUX track is set to OUTPUT 1-2
The MIDI track INPUT is set to ALL and the OUTPUT is set to ROLAND 5-6. My thought is that something is not set correctly in the XP-80 keyboard. Your thoughts?