Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 03-28-2020, 01:10 PM

Default Avid Artist Mix Driver & Firmware Trouble - Please Help!

I just recently updated from 10.8.5 to 10.11.6 (Mac OSX), and my EU Control advised me to update the firmware for my Artist Mix, but now I get an update firmware message every time I restart the Eucon Applications (I also am now using Eu Control 3.2.2 - is this the wrong driver?)

I am thinking of going to Sierra (Mac OSX 10.12), but I wanted to see if I could get things working properly before I move to Sierra since I would have to use different Mastering Software (Waveburner no longer supported after 10.11.6), which means I would have to buy a new platform, which I wanted to avoid if possible. Please help!!
Old 03-28-2020, 02:30 PM

Default Re: Avid Artist Mix Driver & Firmware Trouble - Please Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Another Guy View Post
I just recently updated from 10.8.5 to 10.11.6 (Mac OSX), and my EU Control advised me to update the firmware for my Artist Mix, but now I get an update firmware message every time I restart the Eucon Applications (I also am now using Eu Control 3.2.2 - is this the wrong driver?)

I am thinking of going to Sierra (Mac OSX 10.12), but I wanted to see if I could get things working properly before I move to Sierra since I would have to use different Mastering Software (Waveburner no longer supported after 10.11.6), which means I would have to buy a new platform, which I wanted to avoid if possible. Please help!!
Your problem is you're (if your profile info is correct) running an incompatible combination of PT 11 and El Crapitan. Take at the chart on this page for compatibility: http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/e...tibility-Chart

How and why did you go to El Crapitan anyways? There's a reason it has that nickname as it's possibly the worst OSX Apple ever put out. I'm guessing you did an in-situ move where you install the new OSX over the existing one. That's never a good thing even though it's the Apple Way.

If you want to keep using PT 11 you're going to have to back date to OSX 10.10.5. PT 11.3.2 can work on Sierra but to import audio you have to drag and drop from OSX Finder. And it's not the most stable of setups. Also that's still not strictly compatible with PT 11

So you've got some thinking to do along the lines of: what is the most important piece of s/w you use? PT or Waveburner. If you need CD burning there are other programs - Steinberg Wavelab Elements is my current s/w for that function. If you don't need CD burning you could always master in PT. Stay away from DSP Quattro for mastering and cd burning - there are issues the developer doesn't care enough about to fix them. And think long and hard about why you went to El Crapitan.

QAPLA!
Old 03-28-2020, 03:42 PM

I am mostly interested in making my Avid Artist Mix work. That's the number one priority. I am not opposed to updating to Sierra, but I really need to find a solution for the Artist Mix. I have a license for Pro Tools 12, and I have a clone of my old system if I need or want it.
Old 03-28-2020, 05:43 PM

Quote:
I am mostly interested in making my Avid Artist Mix work. That's the number one priority. I am not opposed to updating to Sierra, but I really need to find a solution for the Artist Mix. I have a license for Pro Tools 12, and I have a clone of my old system if I need or want it.
You really should update your profile info because a lot of problems can happen because of incompatibilities between PT version and OSX version. So you're using PT12 then right? You can never give too much info when asking for help here.

But really you need to get rid of El Crapitan. A very important question you haven't answered and needs to be answered - how did you get El Crapitan on your computer? In-situ which is over the top of the existing OSX install or a clean install? Clean installs of everything are the way to go with OSX upgrades. And of course why the move to EC?

QAPLA!
Old 03-28-2020, 08:13 PM

Thank you @musicman691 for your replies! I installed El Capitan as an update. They are still available on the Apple Site. I'm not sure what the question about "moving" to EU means. I have an Avid Artist Mix, so would I not need EU Control in order to run it and have it talk to my applications? I need to know what version of it I need for this operating system, why it asks me to update the firmware and then doesn't allow it, and why there are large yellow blocks on the Artist Mix screen instead of the usual little dotted rectangles when it's not in use.
Old 03-29-2020, 04:22 AM

Quote:
Thank you @musicman691 for your replies! I installed El Capitan as an update. They are still available on the Apple Site. I'm not sure what the question about "moving" to EU means. I have an Avid Artist Mix, so would I not need EU Control in order to run it and have it talk to my applications? I need to know what version of it I need for this operating system, why it asks me to update the firmware and then doesn't allow it, and why there are large yellow blocks on the Artist Mix screen instead of the usual little dotted rectangles when it's not in use.
You did the update all wrong and that's part of the problem you're having. It may be the 'Apple Way' but it's NOT the right way if you want a fully functioning system. Not only that but as I keep saying and just about everyone else here will agree is that El Crapitan is possibly the worst OSX Apple put out.

I didn't mention anything about moving to EU - don't know where you got that. There's some work you're going to have to do yourself. First is to see what version of Eucontrol you need for either Sierra or High Sierra. That also means do a clean install of either OSX version. Just going over the top of an existing install won't cut it. THEN do a completely clean install of PT and your plugins. Do NOT use Migration Assassin or Time Machine to do the job. Then install whatever revision of Eucontrol you need.

QAPLA!
Old 03-29-2020, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
El Crapitan is possibly the worst OSX Apple put out
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Do NOT use Migration Assassin or Time Machine to do the job.
Also yes.