Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-30-2020, 10:50 AM

Default Re: Power Conditioner

Reasonable time being five minutes and most UPS solutions offer way more. The most common advantage of UPS over power conditioner is the sudden half second power outage which kills computers without battery in between.
Old 03-30-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Back on the subject of UPS, they are still a wise investment, even with perfectly clean power. And I only recommend APC after having multiple failures with CyberPower. While you don't need a massive UPS, do aim for the middle ground(plan on spending $200 minimum) and be wise about what you connect to the UPS. DO connect computer, monitors, interface and all external drives. DON'T connect preamps, outboard gear, speakers, etc. The idea is to have a reasonable amount of time to save/close and shut down your system in the event of a power sag or outage.
And also connect a small lamp so when the power goes out you're not stumbling around in the dark (been there/done that).

QAPLA!
Old 03-30-2020, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
And also connect a small lamp so when the power goes out you're not stumbling around in the dark (been there/done that).
You didn't bask in the glow of the screen?? Great suggestion(use LED lamps for low power draw)

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 03-30-2020, 02:49 PM

Thanks everyone for the great info!

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-30-2020, 04:43 PM

What kind of monitors? I have that same things in one of my focals. Thought it was weird just in one and only intermittently. Never thought it could be a power thing. It’s on a musicians friend rack power. I never plugged it into my furman.
UAD Apollo X8P With an extra 8 channel ADAT using
a Focusrite Liquid Saffire 56
UAD Twin duo
UAD TB3 Octo Satelite
Focal Twin Be monitors
samsung T5 and Gdrive
Old 03-30-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
You didn't bask in the glow of the screen?? Great suggestion(use LED lamps for low power draw)
As I intimated I learned the hard way. And when the screen goes off without that little extra light

I've got one of those music stand red led lights plugged into my UPS (APC that regenerates the incoming AC mains into a pure sine wave). And that brings up an issue: not all UPS that regenerate the AC mains have a sine wave - some have what amount to a square wave.

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2020, 12:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by appledude View Post
What kind of monitors? I have that same things in one of my focals. Thought it was weird just in one and only intermittently. Never thought it could be a power thing. It’s on a musicians friend rack power. I never plugged it into my furman.
They're Event 2030's. I'll never buy Events again. I've had so much trouble with these. I'm on my third set after 2 returns but at least the ones I have now have been working solidly for a few years.

I never had this issue in my old house, though I've had this issue with other monitors in other locations. And it's not just the monitors, I hear it through my guitar amp and Leslie. It doesn't happen enough to stop me from working, but it's annoying.

Pro Tools 2024.3

Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 03-31-2020, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
They're Event 2030's. I'll never buy Events again. I've had so much trouble with these. I'm on my third set after 2 returns but at least the ones I have now have been working solidly for a few years.
Genelecs here since 2004, never hava had a single trouble with them keep that in mind once it is time for upgrade...

- Pair of 8050A for live gigs
- 5.1 system of 7060B sub and 8040B satellites for mixing

Simply amazing.
Old 03-31-2020, 03:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwsand View Post
snippage

I never had this issue in my old house, though I've had this issue with other monitors in other locations. And it's not just the monitors, I hear it through my guitar amp and Leslie. It doesn't happen enough to stop me from working, but it's annoying.
The hardest part about this is that the noise in intermittent.

Here's some troubleshooting tips to try and find the noise.
One is to kill the circuit breakers to everything but your studio. See if you still have the noise. If you do it's either equipment in your studio OR it's external to your place. For me I have two contributors and they're both external. One is a noisy power transformer on a pole outside. The other is I'm in RF hell.

If there's no noise go back and turn on one circuit at a time. Check for noise and repeat. Same type of process when troubleshooting if you have a plugin related issue in PT.

This method depends on if you have a battery powered AM radio. Turn it on and walk around your whole space and not just the studio - the whole space in which your studio sits. The space where the noise in the radio gets loudest is probably the culprit. This is an old ham radio method for noise hunting. You would not believe what can cause noise - loose metallic rain gutters, invisible electric dog fencing, the usual neon and/or flourescent lights, etc.

Hopefully one of these methods will help you find the culprit. If not then the noise might be external and not a power pole transformer - might be a neighbor thing.

Got any tube equipment? Might have a tube going south. If you do and can check if a tube sometimes starts glowing purple. That's an old sign that it's gassy and needs to be replaced.

If you can get a noise print of the noise and see what it looks like and if there's any distinctive that stands out.

QAPLA!
Old 03-31-2020, 08:29 AM

As for screens, make sure at least your main screen is on the UPS with the computer(and trust me, you WANT a UPS). As to other stuff, I had 3 sets of Event speakers(all ASP-8's) and while they sounded fine, they were notorious for odd noises and pops. No wonder they went under. My Nashville studio had Genelec 8050A's with dual Presonus T10 subs(with external DSP). I sure do miss that system!

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave