Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 06-08-2019, 04:39 PM

Default Re: Midas M32 as Control Surface

Hi Lance,

Great tips. I had tried the Encoders for panning. And you're right using all three banks, you'll only get about 12 panning knobs. I was hoping by selecting a channel, I could control the panning for that channel, just like you do for the EQ, Gate, etc.

I did notice that if I have a stereo channel in PT, Midas sees that as one channel. So when you pan it only pans the left panner. I noticed that if you are in Group DCA 1-8. The first DCA will move channel input one, if you move the DCA fader, why? Are the DCA Groups stereo channels? Also, if remote is off and you select MTX 1-6, the seventh fader's scribble strip is black, why? If you are in remote mode, and use MTX 1-6 and hit the Fader Flip button you can't turn it off, unless you click another bank.
I wish their manual would explain some of this more in detail.

I did try the midi route to see if I could control the panning that way, but no luck.
Old 06-10-2019, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Hmmm, not sure but it might be a limitation of PT Express
All the funds went on the desk.... me thinks
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 06-11-2019, 05:51 PM

With all the limitations of PTE, maybe give Reaper a try? Its free to demo and like $69 to buy if you like it

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 06-12-2019, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermid View Post
I did notice that if I have a stereo channel in PT, Midas sees that as one channel. So when you pan it only pans the left panner.
Yeah the pan on a stereo channel only moves the left channel and skips the right so that kinda sucks.
Why they couldn't implement a pan the way we would like it by selecting a channel and panning is odd but
part of it is that the one fader in remote daw controls one mono or stereo pro tools track so if they put a pan for that it would only control one side of the stereo pan like we are seeing.

Quote:
I noticed that if you are in Group DCA 1-8. The first DCA will move channel input one, if you move the DCA fader, why? Are the DCA Groups stereo channels?
Not sure what you mean here, DCAs on the board are so you can group channels like DCA fader 1 to your drum channels 1-8 etc
to control the level of the drums on the one DCA fader but the linked faders don't fiscally move when you move the DCA fader.

Quote:
Also, if remote is off and you select MTX 1-6, the seventh fader's scribble strip is black, why?
Because there are only 6 matrixes

Quote:
If you are in remote mode, and use MTX 1-6 and hit the Fader Flip button you can't turn it off, unless you click another bank.
You just have to hit the bus 9-16 or matrix button to get out of fader flip when in remote daw mode. Fader flip only shows you that you are
touching a fader by lighting up the mute button, I guess if you are mixing in the dark in remote daw mode that would be useful but you loose the mute button functionality so it is just plain silly.

One thing that is odd when you assign the assign buttons for things like pan and shuttle they work even when remote daw is not selected.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2022.10
Mac Pro 2009 upgraded to 5,1 12 core 3.46ghz
GPU RX6800XT, Samsung 970 EVO Plus pcie boot drive, Titan Ridge flashed for Mac.
Midas M32r console. iPad Pro with Avid Control

Last edited by lancemcv; 06-13-2019 at 03:55 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:14 PM

yeah, I tried the encoder method and you are right, you'll be able to get 12 encoders for panning on mono tracks. Unfortunately would be great to just select a fader and with the main bus panning knob, but I guess that would be to easy. I did notice the the Midi CC command for panning is 64 rather than 7, like it usually is.
Old 06-29-2019, 08:18 PM

Also noticed if you click Aux In Usb bank, on the second 8 faders, you will see effect returns for FX L/R 1-4, but not 5-8. How do I get to FX returns for 5-8?