How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 2018

Old 02-17-2019, 05:38 AM

Default Re: 32 Channel IO Limit.. WHY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCBigler View Post
Dante interfaces like the Focusrite Red Net and Red range make that less of an expense. Assuming you have access to a system that already has the preamps, like a live console and networked I/O. And Dante Virtual Soundcard only costs $29.
This is my issue exactly. I'm setting up a new studio space and will be using 4 Red 8 Pre's to interconnect the rooms. The studio will be modular, so 2 or more rooms can be combined for larger sessions.

You can use the Red's for 64 ch with the HDN, but then you lose the (awesome) ipad control on the interfaces for headphone mixes. I already have an HDN card...I wish it just came with a license that opened up 64ch i/o for 3rd party interfaces. Or I would buy the I/O pack...
Old 02-17-2019, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
You can use the Red's for 64 ch with the HDN, but then you lose the (awesome) ipad control on the interfaces for headphone mixes.
Only if you update to the newest firmware that only runs on the RedNet Control software. If you keep them on the old firmware then they should still work with the Focusrite Control.

Although true, you can't run more than one Red on Focusrite Control.

Hopefully Focusrite will issue an iPad remote software for the RedNet Control software.

I'm still waiting for them to issue any sort of official software for the Reds on Windows.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Home/mobile: Focusrite Red 8Pre+HD32R / Clarett 4Pre
Road/hotel: Roland OctaCaputre / Apogee One
Old 02-17-2019, 01:15 PM

Quote:
I already have an HDN card...I wish it just came with a license that opened up 64ch i/o for 3rd party interfaces. Or I would buy the I/O pack...
Once you add that card, as far as I've let myself understand this, you cannot use 3rd party mode until you remove the card from your system. I mean really taking the card out, not just disconnecting digilink from HD interfaces.

Pls correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-17-2019, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFreak View Post
Once you add that card, as far as I've let myself understand this, you cannot use 3rd party mode until you remove the card from your system. I mean really taking the card out, not just disconnecting digilink from HD interfaces.

I assume you're talking about the HD Native PCIe card. I have the HD Native Thunderbolt card and I have it connected to my Red 8Pre via the second Thunderbolt port on the 8Pre and then 8Pre is directly connected to my laptop. That way I can access Focusrite Control and control the 8Pre from my laptop.

The Red line interfaces have a setting in their software that you can change between Protools (Digilink) and Thunderbolt host modes, without having to disconnect anything. The major difference being that in Protools mode, with the Digilink connection, you can record more than 32 I/O at a time.

Lenovo P50: quad-core i7-6820hq, 64GB, 2TB SSD, Win 10 Pro / Protools Ultimate 2023.6 / HD|Native-TB
2018 MacBook Pro: six-core i9, 32GB, 1TB, Monterey / Protools Studio 2023.6, / DVS / DAR, L-ISA Studio

Old 02-17-2019, 07:56 PM

Quote:

Really? That sounds pretty stupid if it's the case. With a HDX card installed, I can switch between it and whatever core audio interfaces are installed in the system. Pro Tools always wants to close and relaunch though, which is pretty annoying... especially when it never seems to manage the 'relaunch' bit. I'm sure it used to do it.
Pro Tools Ultimate 2024.3. OSX 13.6.5. Win 10. HD Native. Lynx AES16e. Lynx Aurora 16. i9-13900KF. ASRock Z690 Steel Legend. 64GB Ram. AMD Vega 64. BM Decklink. Dolby Atmos Renderer 5.2. Trinnov D-Mon. D-Command.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:08 AM

Quote:
I assume you're talking about the HD Native PCIe card. I have the HD Native Thunderbolt card and I have it connected to my Red 8Pre via the second Thunderbolt port on the 8Pre and then 8Pre is directly connected to my laptop. That way I can access Focusrite Control and control the 8Pre from my laptop.

The Red line interfaces have a setting in their software that you can change between Protools (Digilink) and Thunderbolt host modes, without having to disconnect anything. The major difference being that in Protools mode, with the Digilink connection, you can record more than 32 I/O at a time.
Yes, TB is another story and can be removed without shutting down computer. I am actually using Apogee symphony mkII just like you described, it's just a menu setting whether TB or HD option is being used.
Old 02-18-2019, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDS View Post
Really? That sounds pretty stupid if it's the case. With a HDX card installed, I can switch between it and whatever core audio interfaces are installed in the system. Pro Tools always wants to close and relaunch though, which is pretty annoying... especially when it never seems to manage the 'relaunch' bit. I'm sure it used to do it.
I might have it wrong; if the HDX card works as you described then I assume HDN card works as well. I stand corrected..

The old HD cards need to be removed for sure.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:39 AM

Quote:

When I had my HDN card installed, I could still switch to the red 8pre as a TB interface in PT. Didn't use it much because on my systems (7980xe hacks) the Red has better low latency performance than the HDN card.
Old 02-18-2019, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Only if you update to the newest firmware that only runs on the RedNet Control software. If you keep them on the old firmware then they should still work with the Focusrite Control.

Although true, you can't run more than one Red on Focusrite Control.

Hopefully Focusrite will issue an iPad remote software for the RedNet Control software.

I'm still waiting for them to issue any sort of official software for the Reds on Windows.
Hmm, I have mine on 2.3.4, is there something newer? I did try to go back to 2.1.8 at one point and you can't. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought when I tried it in digilink mode, the focusrite ipad app could no longer connect and control the built in mixer. Maybe I'm wrong about that though it's been a while.

I should mess with 2.3.4 and the Rednet app, I didn't realize that they were compatible.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Hmm, I have mine on 2.3.4, is there something newer? I did try to go back to 2.1.8 at one point and you can't. Maybe I'm not remembering correctly, but I thought when I tried it in digilink mode, the focusrite ipad app could no longer connect and control the built in mixer. Maybe I'm wrong about that though it's been a while.

I should mess with 2.3.4 and the Rednet app, I didn't realize that they were compatible.
There’s a beta version of the iOS app that is supposedly compatible with the new Red Net Control. Check the Focusrite beta page for more info.

Once you move to 2.3 I don’t think you can go back. And it’s not compatible with Windows, which is why I haven’t upgraded my Red 8Pre yet.