How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 02-03-2009, 08:27 PM

Default Re: i7 Builds - Specs and Results

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shan View Post
kris75 had to leave the studio for the night but he'll run more tests tomorrow. Steve, you might have to turn off hyper threading. kris75 had the grayed out RTAS CPU issue when hyper threading was turned on trying to see 8 cores.

I'll make an attempt of getting an i7 OC'd up to 4Ghz.

Shane
shane, don't forget to use the CPU OC article i sent you. it actually OC the 920 to 3.9 with a great how-to. lemme know if you need my online access to CPU mag to view the bios graphic layout as opposed to the htm attachment i sent you.

The Basschakra Lucid Soul Trip

i7 Builds - Specs and Results

HDNative | Omni | i7-3930K OC'd 4.0GHZ |
ASUS X79 Sabertooth | 32GB GSkill DDR3 2133 ram | mo' stuff
Old 02-03-2009, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
shane, don't forget to use the CPU OC article i sent you. it actually OC the 920 to 3.9 with a great how-to. lemme know if you need my online access to CPU mag to view the bios graphic layout as opposed to the htm attachment i sent you.
It will be a few months before I get an i7 rig going but I definitely got the OC article you sent. 3.9 isnt good enough...it needs to be 4.0!

All drives will be eSATA and external from the computer. That will keep the temps down quite a bit.

HDK Quadzilla...in the making.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-03-2009, 09:15 PM

there is a for sure issue right now. i cannot select anything other than 8 processors. i am running a dverb 1 test with dverb 2, and have 281 going now and recording away. cpu is at 89%. just set up 48 audio tracks and going this way. set at 1024 buffer, 90% cpu. will do this to spec soon, just checking stuff out. have not changed the boot ini for the 3 gb switch yet either. just basic tweaks, not disabling dvd drives and such...
i will disable hyper threading after running same test with dverb 1, and see what happens

pro-tools-pc.com

TRASHER Pro Tools Utility(updated 3-6-18)

HD Native, Avid 16x16, Eleven Rack, Focusrite Clarett 8preX, UA Quad Apollo TB.

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-03-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
It will be a few months before I get an i7 rig going but I definitely got the OC article you sent. 3.9 isnt good enough...it needs to be 4.0!

All drives will be eSATA and external from the computer. That will keep the temps down quite a bit.

HDK Quadzilla...in the making.

Shane
yeah i thought you might be seein' kris. that's why i suggested it. but i think the last email i sent paints a clear pic

you and the HDK mission!!!! but i feel ya!!!

Old 02-03-2009, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykhal c View Post
you and the HDK mission!!!! but i feel ya!!!
11 more months and it will be 2010. We might not have flying cars, but some things just gotta go cuz it's had it's day. Time to move forward and advance. The old school stuff is slowing down progress and it's time to let go of it.

Shane

Give your plug-ins a facelift...and skin 'em!

"Music should be performed by the musician, not by the engineer."

Michael Wagener 25th July 2005, 02:59 PM

Pro Tools|HD Native 9.0.1 | Pro Tools|HDX 10.2 | Studio One | REAPER 4.22 | HD OMNI | HoboMac Pro 2.26Ghz Quad-Core | W7 Ultimate 64-bit
Old 02-04-2009, 12:10 AM

Quote:
11 more months and it will be 2010. We might not have flying cars, but some things just gotta go cuz it's had it's day. Time to move forward and advance. The old school stuff is slowing down progress and it's time to let go of it.

Shane
WHAT!! your car dont fly!!!!?????? my truck may not, but my computer sure is!!!!!

hardly any tweaking, no oc'ing or anything,

we got more specs we HAVE to incorporate for our i7 dverb test. with multicore threading on and off. this is making a difference in response and handling

with it off we have 4 processors in pro tools to choose from. the machine is more solid and MUCH harder to crash. initial testing and it is proving more hearty than the opteron even was, i wont commit to this till i really get using it, but impressive so far. my cpu is at 94% right now and it is still chugging along....slowly....but still going.

with mulitcore on, the machine is snappier for sure, but in pro tools WE CANNOT SELECT BETWEEN PROCESSOR AMOUNTS. 8 IS OUR ONLY OPTION. hilighted that cause it will come up again...... the cpu is not as tough and durable at this setting. at higher cpu usage the machine starts to lag more and cannot hold up. at about 89-90% it is about maxed out.

i am testing dverb 1 style, with OLD dverb (w/o chorus, from 7.4) max cpu's available, max cpu setting available, (95% w/o threading-90% with) and 1024 buffer setting and 24 bit-44.1k

multicore threading- 483 and still record 5 min.
w/o multicore threading-420 tough to call it here cause it does keep going, cpu at 94%, is lagging and sluggish, but wont stop!

more tweaking to come and will post parts in the next day or so. i have to have this ready for a session tomorrow and have a lot to do and little time to do it.

but so far so good!!

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-04-2009, 12:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
WHAT!! your car dont fly!!!!?????? my truck may not, but my computer sure is!!!!!

hardly any tweaking, no oc'ing or anything,

we got more specs we HAVE to incorporate for our i7 dverb test. with multicore threading on and off. this is making a difference in response and handling

with it off we have 4 processors in pro tools to choose from. the machine is more solid and MUCH harder to crash. initial testing and it is proving more hearty than the opteron even was, i wont commit to this till i really get using it, but impressive so far. my cpu is at 94% right now and it is still chugging along....slowly....but still going.

with mulitcore on, the machine is snappier for sure, but in pro tools WE CANNOT SELECT BETWEEN PROCESSOR AMOUNTS. 8 IS OUR ONLY OPTION. hilighted that cause it will come up again...... the cpu is not as tough and durable at this setting. at higher cpu usage the machine starts to lag more and cannot hold up. at about 89-90% it is about maxed out.

i am testing dverb 1 style, with OLD dverb (w/o chorus, from 7.4) max cpu's available, max cpu setting available, (95% w/o threading-90% with) and 1024 buffer setting and 24 bit-44.1k

multicore threading- 483 and still record 5 min.
w/o multicore threading-420 tough to call it here cause it does keep going, cpu at 94%, is lagging and sluggish, but wont stop!

more tweaking to come and will post parts in the next day or so. i have to have this ready for a session tomorrow and have a lot to do and little time to do it.

but so far so good!!
i'm jealous!!!!

Old 02-04-2009, 10:37 AM

So, with the testing going on, if you turn off the hyper threading, are you able to get a lower buffer rate than 1024? I am a bit confused on this. We seem to be getting confirmation that it is working, but I haven't yet seen a post from someone who has done a whole tracking session yet, just posts with people testing the D-verb counts.

Also, to keep the computer quiet, what cooling systems for the chip are you using? Just the stock heat sync, or something else?
Old 02-04-2009, 11:25 AM

with multicore threading off everything is perfect and normal and can select 4 cpu's in the playback engine. runs great.

it is the processor selection that is the problem. can only select 8 (logical of course, not physical) with multicore enabled,1-7 are greyed out. it is working and an amazing dverb count, but problem if like me you drop a processor out for other tasks, like vi's rewire programs, etc. of course with this much headroom it might not be a problem, but dont know yet. everything else seems ok at this setting. sounds like a problem more than a few of us had a while back on amd ehhh?

i am doing a tracking session tonight with it so will be able to post some more thoughts.

i will also post my parts and things like that later as well. i really have to get to setting it up for tonight. will do tweaking (no oc'ing yet....i know what your thinking mykhal!!!!)

pro-tools-pc.com

Intel I7 9900k
Win 10
Old 02-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitardom View Post
i will also post my parts and things like that later as well. i really have to get to setting it up for tonight. will do tweaking (no oc'ing yet....i know what your thinking mykhal!!!!)
crank that rig up!!! be bold!!!! good luck with the session tonite. can't wait to hear your results