Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-31-2016, 08:15 PM

Default Audible latency with VE pro audio input

Hey guys, I'm sending some tracks from PT12 into VEP and bringing them back into PT.

There's audible latency in the tracks coming back into PT. I have ADC on in PT, but still latency.

I tried bypassing all plugs in VEP so that the audio goes through VEP and comes back into PT12 untouched.

Any ideas?

HD Native * PT 2018.12 * OS X 10.13.6 * MacPro 12 Core * 2.4GHz 24GB Ram * 2XUAD2 Octo * Waves Platinum * Lexicon PCM Native Bundle * Sound Toys Bundle* AutoTune8 * NI Komplete11 * BFD3 * Synthogy Ivory II* Vienna Ensemble Pro * Spectrasonics * Slate trigger2 *xFer records * Softube * Vienna Ensemble * DMG Expurgate * Massey DRT2 *
iPad Air/Avid control * EuCon 18.3.0.217 *
Old 01-01-2017, 01:16 PM

Default Re: Audible latency with VE pro audio input

Is this a new problem? If yes, what changed? What is your buffer setting? How are you bringing VE back into Pro Tools?

[SIZE="1"]Mac Pro (Late 2013)
3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5, 32 GB 1866 MHz DDR3
AMD FirePro D500 3072 MB, Dual 4Tb Thunderbolt G Drives
Acer B326HUL 32" 2560 X 1440, VIZIO video monitor
Mojave 10.114.6, Pro Tools 20.3.0.163
Digital Performer 10.11, MOTU 1248 (Thunderbolt), MOTU 2408 MkII (x2), MOTU MTP AV USB (x2)
Old 01-01-2017, 08:59 PM

Check the buffer settings on the plugin on your insert on your PT track.
Should be set to none(zero)

Best
Mitch
Old 01-03-2017, 02:57 PM

Bring it back into PT via aux track with its input set to (plugin) in 5/6.
VE buffer in PT is set to 2 buffers. should that be set to zero? That usually causes VE to click and pop. Could I set negative compensation to that track?

HD Native * PT 2018.12 * OS X 10.13.6 * MacPro 12 Core * 2.4GHz 24GB Ram * 2XUAD2 Octo * Waves Platinum * Lexicon PCM Native Bundle * Sound Toys Bundle* AutoTune8 * NI Komplete11 * BFD3 * Synthogy Ivory II* Vienna Ensemble Pro * Spectrasonics * Slate trigger2 *xFer records * Softube * Vienna Ensemble * DMG Expurgate * Massey DRT2 *
Old 01-04-2017, 07:50 PM

I'm new to VE Pro myself but ran into the same delay compensation issues when testing it out. It turns out that when you increase the number of buffers on the VE Pro plugin, the audio will actually come back early by the amount reported in that window (it gives a readout of how many samples it's adding in that window somewhere, I'm not in front of my studio computer at the moment.) So I guess it must be over-reporting the actual delay to the delay compensation engine.

The easy fix for this is to put a Time Adjuster plugin on the track that your VE Pro audio comes in on, and set that to the number of samples that you're seeing on the VE Pro Plugin for that instance. If you're routing audio into VE Pro and then back out, you can test it with a simple setup by bypassing your plugins in VE Pro, reversing phase in the Time Adjuster plugin and adjusting levels as needed to cancel out the original signal. That's working well for me here, although it'd be nice if it were done automatically so you don't have to change your value if you change buffer sizes...etc.
Old 01-04-2017, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
Hey guys, I'm sending some tracks from PT12 into VEP and bringing them back into PT.

There's audible latency in the tracks coming back into PT. I have ADC on in PT, but still latency.

I tried bypassing all plugs in VEP so that the audio goes through VEP and comes back into PT12 untouched.

Any ideas?
The buffer multiplier setting on the VEP plug ins inside PT adds to your host's delay. So if PT buffer is set to 128 samples and VEP's buffer multiplier set to 1x, you have 256 ms latency total, if it's set to 2x, you have 384 samples....etc

Technically you can set it to 0 but most likely you will encounter CPU overload (pops and crackles) even with a super powerful computer.

Finding the best setting on your DAW and slave computers will depend on many factors such as CPU, ram, number patches you want on line at all time on the slave (VEP).

Are your VEP local or over ethernet ? What's your CPU and ram ?

For a start, try setting your DAW's buffer to 128 samples and the VEP's buffer multiplier to 2xbuffer. Start one instance of VEP server 64 bit and instantiate Kontakt, Play or any synth plug-ins, return 16 outputs from VEP back into PT.
Old 01-05-2017, 11:04 AM

Not really working for me...
I'm sending a tone into VE, then bringing it back into PT. Phase flipped on return. (also monitoring original signal) Seems that the return needs to be negatively compensated. But still won't cancel out completely. Anyone??

Quote:
Originally Posted by StudioRhythm View Post
I'm new to VE Pro myself but ran into the same delay compensation issues when testing it out. It turns out that when you increase the number of buffers on the VE Pro plugin, the audio will actually come back early by the amount reported in that window (it gives a readout of how many samples it's adding in that window somewhere, I'm not in front of my studio computer at the moment.) So I guess it must be over-reporting the actual delay to the delay compensation engine.

The easy fix for this is to put a Time Adjuster plugin on the track that your VE Pro audio comes in on, and set that to the number of samples that you're seeing on the VE Pro Plugin for that instance. If you're routing audio into VE Pro and then back out, you can test it with a simple setup by bypassing your plugins in VE Pro, reversing phase in the Time Adjuster plugin and adjusting levels as needed to cancel out the original signal. That's working well for me here, although it'd be nice if it were done automatically so you don't have to change your value if you change buffer sizes...etc.

Old 01-05-2017, 08:33 PM

Hmm, delay compensation seems to be strange with the VE Pro and Pro Tools combination....

The way I'm doing it works when you're sending and returning audio on the same aux track in Pro Tools -- i.e. placing the VE Pro Audio Input plugin first on your aux track, followed by the VE Pro plugin returning audio from Outputs 1-2 for that instance (so it's acting essentially like any other native plugin on an aux track would). If you put a TimeAdjuster after that set to the number of samples reported by the plugin it generally seems to work correctly and null outs 100%. (To make this work I'm using a separate instance of VE Pro for each send/return, since there's no "VE Pro Audio Output" plugin.)

I'm setting up a new mix template, not using any VIs -- I'm running my mix bus processing and a bunch of send/return FX through VE Pro. This method seems to work correctly so far for what I'm using it for.

I haven't figured out how to get the delay compensation to work correctly if you're not doing routing like above though. I just did a quick test, and when I send audio to VE Pro and return on a separate aux track, I'm getting the VE Pro audio coming in late like you.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:25 PM

That's why it wasn't working for me. I was using a VE audio input return to PT. (track input-->plugin-->VE 5/6) I'll give this a try...

Quote:
Hmm, delay compensation seems to be strange with the VE Pro and Pro Tools combination....

The way I'm doing it works when you're sending and returning audio on the same aux track in Pro Tools -- i.e. placing the VE Pro Audio Input plugin first on your aux track, followed by the VE Pro plugin returning audio from Outputs 1-2 for that instance (so it's acting essentially like any other native plugin on an aux track would). If you put a TimeAdjuster after that set to the number of samples reported by the plugin it generally seems to work correctly and null outs 100%. (To make this work I'm using a separate instance of VE Pro for each send/return, since there's no "VE Pro Audio Output" plugin.)

I'm setting up a new mix template, not using any VIs -- I'm running my mix bus processing and a bunch of send/return FX through VE Pro. This method seems to work correctly so far for what I'm using it for.

I haven't figured out how to get the delay compensation to work correctly if you're not doing routing like above though. I just did a quick test, and when I send audio to VE Pro and return on a separate aux track, I'm getting the VE Pro audio coming in late like you.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:05 AM

Quote:

I'm trying your method and am a bit confused- (could you please clarify)
Have to first create a VE server in order to have the input into VE created and put on the Aux... SO then when I want to put a VE server AFTER that, that's a new server, not the one I was sending the input to... Explain?