Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows

Old 07-31-2011, 01:36 PM

Default Acronis Killed My Pro Tools

Everyone said install Acronis True Image, so I did. Now PT9 won't launch.

I have a dual boot of two copies of Win7 x64, one for my main everyday use, and one for my DAW. So, after reading the exhausting Acronis manual, I decided I should install it on my main OS and backup images of both my main OS partition and my DAW OS partition from there. Immediately afterward, my DAW OS booted fine, but when I tried to launch Pro Tools, it said ProTools.exe was corrupted. I rebooted and then chkdsk ran and found a bunch of errors. After that, I no longer get the error message, but PT still won't launch.

So I uninstalled PT, wiped all related files and folders, cleaned my registry, and reinstalled PT. Still, PT will not launch. Looks like I will have to wipe my DAW OS partition and start from scratch.

I have the Acronis backup image, but I'm doubtlful it will save me. After this experience, I'm scared to death to even try to recover it lest it should corrupt something on my main OS too.

It was my assumption that Acronis would only create a backup image of the drive. I never expected it to change the data on it, but obviously it did.

So, what is the right way to back up a dual boot system?
Old 07-31-2011, 02:23 PM

Default Re: Acronis Killed My Pro Tools

I've had 3 versions of TI, have imaged and restored dozens of drives, and it has never altered the data on the drives I've worked with.
Old 07-31-2011, 02:24 PM

Many, many of us have and use Acronis to back up and image our disks. This is the first I have heard of something like this.

While I know no details of your system, my guess is that you have a hard drive that is failing. Corrupting of files can be a sign of a failing drive. Drive activity during a back up or imaging is very high and can be a bit stressful to a failing drive.

I would suggest buying a couple of new WD Caviar Black drives, try to back up your sessions and important data and then replace the drive that is yielding corrupted files.

Hope this helps,
Greg
Intel i7 3930K, Gigabyte GA-X79-UP4 (rev 1.0), 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 ram, EVGA Nvidea GT 720 TI video card, a Samsung 850 Pro (256 GB) OS drive, 2 Samsung 850 Pro's (512 GB) in externally mounted drive bays for session and sample storage, Win 10 Pro, PT Ultimate (Native)2019.10, HD Omni, HD I/O 16x16 .
Old 07-31-2011, 02:46 PM

Ditto - this is not an Acronis issue (it has saved me countless times) - this is clearly a hardware issue...
Old 07-31-2011, 03:22 PM

I am currently running on at least the 6th generation of Acronis restorations and/or clones with absolutely no related negative issues. I agree that your drive is suspect at this point.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2024 HDX Hybrid
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com
Old 07-31-2011, 05:16 PM

At least if you get a new drive you can (hopefully) restore your image from the backup.

Pro Tools 2024.3
Focusrite LS56
Focusrite Pro40 (3)
Slate Digital VRS8
Analogue Tonebuss 24 Channel
UAD-2 OCTO Core Accelerator
UAD Volt 2
macOS 10.15.7
32 GB DDR4 RAM
4.01GHz Quad-Core Intel Core I7
NVIDIA GeForce GT 740 2 GB
Old 07-31-2011, 07:39 PM

Thanks everyone. The drive is a Caviar Black, just a few months old. I'll post my Sandra if it becomes necessary.

I'm real skittish with backup software since a bad experience with Norton Ghost a few years back. I attributed its failure then to its inability to handle a dual boot system. I beleive it crashed my computer as I was switching between OSes, then could not resolve the proper drive letters when I tried to restore. It kept restoring to the wrong partitions, and wouldn't let me choose. Anyway, that's old news.

But, I'm fearful and suspicious of a similar situtation here. Not that that explains why my PT install got corrupted. It doesn't.

Has anyone here specifically had experience with Acronis on a dual boot system?
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 AM

windows7 has a built-in imaging system for backups, no reason to use a 3rd party app for this anymore.
Old 08-02-2011, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPPER View Post
windows7 has a built-in imaging system for backups, no reason to use a 3rd party app for this anymore.
I prefer Acronis.
Click for audio/video demo
Click for resume
Old 08-02-2011, 08:53 PM

With HDDs and eSATA docks so cheap nowadays, use one partition for the system drive and use Acronis to keep a clone of it. The simplest way IMO. I have an eSata dock for this as well as for loading Win Vista and XP boot drives.