Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 11-03-2010, 01:15 PM
velvettone

Default Heat challenge issue... hmmmm...

[EDIT] Just to keep this thread on focus, this is a thread regarding a TECHNICAL (non-subjective) issue with the "Heat Challenge". Comments like "If you don't like the sound of HEAT, don't use it." and "I can't imagine not having it in my studio." and "I like Heat so much, I wanna spread it all over my nekked wife" and "I hate heat so much, I wanna cap it in the dome" have nothing at all to do with the topic of this thread. If you feel the need to cheerlead, please post it in this thread:

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=280179

There is a technical issue with the Heat challenge. It gives the wrong answer to the last question regarding which summing method that you prefer.

I know this because I got a 100% on the challenge. When I answered the last question, I picked the answer that was positively identified as "Pro Tools only summing" in the previous set of questions, yet it came back and told me that I preferred the "Neve summed mix".

I posted this in the "heat challenge" sticky thread, but got nothing but crickets.
Old 11-16-2010, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Heat challenge issue... hmmmm...

I had the same problem. Wonder if there are any other errors on the survey?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:03 PM

If you like the sound of HEAT, use it. If you don't like the sound of HEAT, don't use it. Who cares what everybody else thinks

PS - I like the sound of HEAT and I actually use it.

My two cents...........
Old 11-16-2010, 09:55 PM

Thumbs up Re: Heat challenge issue... hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post
If you like the sound of HEAT, use it. If you don't like the sound of HEAT, don't use it. Who cares what everybody else thinks

My two cents...........
same here
Old 11-17-2010, 01:31 AM
velvettone

Thanks for the informative replies... and the Pro Tools advice. I have no opinion about heat at all, at this point, as I have not demoed it yet.

THIS thread was started to point out to Avid that there is a major technical (non-subjective) issue/problem with their challenge. In hopes that they would somehow rectify the error. From the lack of response from them, it seems to me as if they don't care, or, are too embarrassed to admit it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettyc View Post
I had the same problem. Wonder if there are any other errors on the survey?
My assistant did the challenge too. Also had the same error. This is a MAJOR [bleep]-up for Avid.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:54 AM

Thumbs up Re: Heat challenge issue... hmmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WernerF View Post

My two cents...........

I bought HEAT shortly after my 30 day trial expired a couple months ago, and I haven't regretted my decision at all. I really like what it does in the mix, and now I can't imagine not having it in my studio. There are some instances where it's not the right choice, but I find that it sounds good on most sources.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:52 AM
Avid

Quote:
Originally Posted by velvettone View Post
Thanks for the informative replies... and the Pro Tools advice. I have no opinion about heat at all, at this point, as I have not demoed it yet.

THIS thread was started to point out to Avid that there is a major technical (non-subjective) issue/problem with their challenge. In hopes that they would somehow rectify the error. From the lack of response from them, it seems to me as if they don't care, or, are too embarrassed to admit it.

My assistant did the challenge too. Also had the same error. This is a MAJOR [bleep]-up for Avid.
It's not that we don't care or are embarrassed - we just don't see every post made on the DUC.

With that said, I'll pass this along and make sure this is taken care of.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:45 AM

I also did this test and got 6% correct, basically because I answered «I don't know» to all but one part. That one part was the last one, and I correctly identified pure Pro Tools summing as the correct one. That was the sample I preferred, but I got «you preferred Neve»!
Old 11-20-2010, 05:34 PM
velvettone

Has anybody out there scored 100% and selected the heat mix, or scored 6% correct, but only answered the last two questions, and picked Heat as the best sounding mix?

...did it report correctly, or did it report "you preferred the Pro Tools only mix"?
Old 12-02-2010, 10:39 PM
velvettone

Bump!