Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)

Old 11-02-2010, 08:41 AM

Default Eleven Plugin as Eleven Rack replacement

Hi everyone.

to keep long story short, I play guitar and don't record too much at home.

I like the Eleven Rack but it is too expensive for my budget and I don't need it for live situations etc.

I liked the tones I heard on the internet made with the Eleven buy I am not quite sure if they are on par or same with the Eleven rack. could someone comment.

There is no Eleven standalone version, and it is a pro tools plugin only. So I was thinking of this. I could buy a used mbox or a cheap interface for the pc and use it to install pro tools on it. Then I could get myself the plugin which is significantly cheaper to play guitar with at home and enjoy the same great tones with the 11R.

Am i talking complete nonsense here? Can I achieve low latency with a cheap pro tools interface?

What are the pros and cons of M-audio m-powered compatible interfaces? Can the mbox be used as an external soundcard when connected and installed or is it strictly an interface for protools unlike the m-audio cards?

thanks
Old 11-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Default Re: Eleven Plugin as Eleven Rack replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureanalog View Post
Hi everyone.

to keep long story short, I play guitar and don't record too much at home.

I like the Eleven Rack but it is too expensive for my budget and I don't need it for live situations etc.

I liked the tones I heard on the internet made with the Eleven buy I am not quite sure if they are on par or same with the Eleven rack. could someone comment.

There is no Eleven standalone version, and it is a pro tools plugin only. So I was thinking of this. I could buy a used mbox or a cheap interface for the pc and use it to install pro tools on it. Then I could get myself the plugin which is significantly cheaper to play guitar with at home and enjoy the same great tones with the 11R.

Am i talking complete nonsense here? Can I achieve low latency with a cheap pro tools interface?

What are the pros and cons of M-audio m-powered compatible interfaces? Can the mbox be used as an external soundcard when connected and installed or is it strictly an interface for protools unlike the m-audio cards?

thanks
The eleven LE plugin, and the Eleven rack, use the EXACT same DSP algorithms (as stated by digidesign). The ONLY difference is the True -Z input matching which you can live without. Keep a watch on your CPU though if you go with the plugin, it can use up to 25 percent on an i7 system!

Buy an Mbox mini, Its got 2 DI ins, and 1 mic pre. Great for just guitar stuff.

Although something just hit me, by the time you buy an Mbox and the Eleven LE plugin, youd have spent over 800 dollars. There are places where you can get an eleven rack for under 700. Why not go for it? It sounds great, got 8 ins and outs, AND ITS ORANGE

Nick
OCZ Agility 64 GB SSD
Hitachi 1TB 32 MB HDD
WD Caviar Black 500GB
Saphhire HD 5850
3 x 20" monitors

Eleven Rack w/ ERXP
Fender Super Champ XD
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100 Silver Edition W/ Silver Jubilee Cabinet
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43 PM

dont forget ONLY the Eleven Rack has the effects, the Eleven Plug in is JUST the amps, cabs and mics, no effects (reverb, chorus, ect...)

I have both the Software and the Rack. The Software is what sold me on the rack. If you do some digging you can find a brand new Eleven Rack for a bit over $500.

Windows 11 Pro | macOS 12
Pro Tools 2022
benonistudio.com
Youtube Channel - benonistudio
Plugin Deals
@benonistudio
Old 11-03-2010, 01:57 AM

Since I don't mind byuing used, and a plugin does not wear and tear I was thinking more along the lines of this

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGIDESIGN-PRO-T...item1e5f2e83b9

and this

http://cgi.ebay.com/Digidesign-MBox-...item1e5f39ff2c

Keeping the budget around 100 euro total . In europe the 11R cannot be found for less than 700 euro (around 900 USD) so it is a significant difference.

Used 11Rs are over 550 euros so still I will save 450.

And I don't need a standalone unit as I have good amps for rehearsals and live. I need it for home practise, jamming, and recording.

Well as far as CPU power, my pc is a laptop with Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4Ghz at 800Mhz bus speed with 4 gigs of fast ram and a 7200 rpm HDD. I would like also to be able to route through an external reverb or delay or chorus while playing.

Is there a chance that my latency will be decent with that setup?