Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Other Products > Storage Subsystems
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2017, 04:34 AM

Default Re: My Pro Tools audio file drive hit the floor at the airport

Simple answer. Drive should have been backed up before going anywhere. Having been dropped, that drive should now be considered to be scrap.
Dell Precision 490 Workstation, dual 4 core 5355 Xeon, 16gb Samsung DDR2 ECC Ram - Windows 7 Ultimate - Nvidia GTX 650 - 3 x Internal WD Blacks - PT 2018.3 - Digi 002R - Original Mackie HUI - 3 screens - JBL Monitoring.
Dell XPS 8700 i7-4790 - 24gb RAM - Windows 10 - Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB with Studio driver 546.01 - 2 x Internal Samsung 860 EVO SSDs, and MSATA card - Davinci Resolve Studio 18.6.4 - 3 screens - Blackmagic Speed Editor - MK1 Presonus Faderport - Canon C100 mk2 - Atomos Ninja 2 - Zoom H2n
Old 11-04-2017, 04:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizzoboy View Post
Simple answer. Drive should have been backed up before going anywhere. Having been dropped, that drive should now be considered to be scrap.
Thank you! You are right, Yes, I should back up them before taking on a flight, if a drive dropped, I can copy from that backup drive, no worries then.

The thing is, when traveling a lot, normally people put drives in a bag, and if one bag drop, all drives drop... Sometimes I go to places where has no internet at all for cloud backup.
Old 11-04-2017, 05:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
Now this is for real life, I would appreciate answers on the how we should treat this on the technical side instead of accusing other people being careless or how imperfect the world is.
The other thread that you started had a wealth of information on there. You chose to ignore it then and you're choosing to ignore it now.

If you're worried about data integrity, do a checksum like was mentioned.

And this nonsense about missing frequencies - seriously? Don't take this the wrong way, but it seems like you need to go back to basics and learn some REALLY fundamental principles of digital audio. I'm not saying this to be mean. Really, I'm not. But, I did glance at some of your prior threads... Hmmmm...
Old 11-04-2017, 05:25 AM

Rockman413 I got three letters for you: SSD

I'm guessing these are spinners right? Some drives are pretty tough. There are Seagate Barracudas in my Glyph and LaCie drive cases (nobody makes their own drives as such) and they are pretty tough. Drives when they shut down park their heads in a safe zone so should the head actually make contact with a platter there's no data loss. The actual spinner drive is probably okay but I'd suspect the bridge interface board may have a crack in it. Remedy if so - pop said spinner drive out and put it in a new case.

Seriously - that drive should have been in a fitted case with a flip lid so the TSA droid can look at it without handling it. They understand (or should) about such things. And for the love of all that is music - don't put all drives in one case for the exact reason you stated. That way you don't lose all drives at the same time.

QAPLA!
Old 11-04-2017, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Rockman413 I got three letters for you: SSD

I'm guessing these are spinners right? Some drives are pretty tough. There are Seagate Barracudas in my Glyph and LaCie drive cases (nobody makes their own drives as such) and they are pretty tough. Drives when they shut down park their heads in a safe zone so should the head actually make contact with a platter there's no data loss. The actual spinner drive is probably okay but I'd suspect the bridge interface board may have a crack in it. Remedy if so - pop said spinner drive out and put it in a new case.

Seriously - that drive should have been in a fitted case with a flip lid so the TSA droid can look at it without handling it. They understand (or should) about such things. And for the love of all that is music - don't put all drives in one case for the exact reason you stated. That way you don't lose all drives at the same time.
SSD! Thank you!
I understand SSD are less afraid of shocking, plus they are easier for me to travel. Do you know how shock-resistance a normal SSD are? 5 meter height drop would not cause any damage?

The thing now is... How should I treat the copied out files from that dropped HDD? Must I listen thru them all ? Or as long as the copy is complete, then I can trust them... (there're no original files to compare/check at this stage)
Old 11-04-2017, 05:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockman413 View Post
SSD! Thank you!
I understand SSD are less afraid of shocking, plus they are easier for me to travel. Do you know how shock-resistance a normal SSD are? 5 meter height drop would not cause any damage?

The thing now is... How should I treat the copied out files from that dropped HDD? Must I listen thru them all ? Or as long as the copy is complete, then I can trust them... (there're no original files to compare/check at this stage)
Where the hell are you getting a 5 meter drop? From one floor to another? From an airplane cargo hold to the ground? Get serious dude. No one would EVER do that with a naked drive. Put said drive(s) in separate specially built cases - they do exist you know. Would be cheap insurance against most kinds of stupidity except for maybe someone playing Pele or Ronaldo with the drive.

A decent alternative if you don't want to spend the money for special cases is if you still have them are the original boxes the drives came in. If you ever pay attention to UPS or FEDEX drivers when they deliver some stuff you wonder if what's inside survived. And unless the box is completely smashed the innards will be fully functional.

If you want figures look at whatever documentation the drive manufacturer has that states what said drive will take. Glyph or LaCie might not have that but the company that actually makes the drive inside the case will have those kinds of figures.

But back to the data - read off/listen to each track to see that they have what they're supposed to have and then copy them to something safe. Yes I have had drives fall off a table, even while operating and for the most part they survived with the data intact. Did I trust those drives to be perfect into the future? Nope. Copied the data off to other drives.

QAPLA!
Old 11-04-2017, 06:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Where the hell are you getting a 5 meter drop?
The TSA employee was this dude.

Old 11-04-2017, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sardi View Post
The TSA employee was this dude.

Now THAT'S tall!

QAPLA!
Old 11-04-2017, 08:09 AM

in the time it takes to post all this you could have listened to all tracks to MAKE SURE .. not yelling ..

i have never ever had to take a drive out of a bag .. because they are packed in cases that are ShockProof ..

where were you travelling, as this might shed some light .. 3rd world type country of some sort, that has no X-ray ??

try not to feel too bad about what people are saying, they mean very well that you learn some hard lessons quickly ...

cheers johh

Macbook Pro july 2014 2.5ghz 16gb ram 512gb SSD - OS11.6.5 - PT 2021.3
Logic Pro X 10.7.4
RME BabyFace Pro
Old 11-04-2017, 12:20 PM

You don't need to listen to them if you have both source and copy you can do a file compare using the file hashes - file verification