Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion

Old 03-27-2020, 07:10 AM

Default Re: Anyone else just about fed up with Avid?

Folders are coming in 2020.x release that should be right around the corner. As for the rest of the list, these are just feature requests, nothing so basic that most of us could not live without
Old 03-27-2020, 11:31 AM

Many comments mainly by the same people I suspect. There are some that have a heap of time to whinge about this and whinge about that. I’m betting some of those people and I do mean some have never really read through the manual or understand how PT actually works or even discovered the deeper working of PT.

Personally I tried S1 and Reaper.... and quite frankly they are crap compared to PT. But there are folks who swear by them, and good for them too..... but who then badger Avid about pushing PT to be like S1 or Reaper.... well I can tell you one thing if PT was to ever try to be like them it would be the end of some great software. Funny how when you visit these two particularly they like to claim how much like PT they are..... really they are not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianBloom View Post
This kind of thing worries me - i am trying to come back to pro tools after some years away (using other programs)
The truth is there is so much i love about PT. I knew it better than any other program.
But seeing so many comments like these and so many users upset with avid for not implementing the most basic upgrades is disheartening.
I really want to like it and would happily pay the money if i thought they were at some point going to bring the program up to speed and in line with competitors in terms of modern production features.
There is so much it does really well, but it seems like they ceased moving forward at some point whilst other companies have been speeidng ahead (in SOME areas)
2.2GHz 6 core 8 gen Intel Core i7 processor (TB’s to 4.1GHz)
32 Gb of 2400MHz DDR4, 1T SSD, Magic Mouse and Keyboard
Pro Tools 2022.7 -23.# - HEAT applied, RME Fireface UCX II
........and a bowl of M&M's
———————————————————————————
Old 03-27-2020, 12:03 PM

Being a hobbyist, I took an 8 year break away from recording music using PT LE 7 and got back into it in 2018. I decided to expand my DAW options and got Studio One, Harrison Mixbus 32C, Reaper, Logic Pro X, and Pro Tools.

I spent a few months learning the basic functions for each DAW using the same song. I can now appreciate some of the things each of these DAW's "do better" than PT but in the end, even though I am biased towards PT, PT is still my main choice to use.

If I were to leave PT, the order of my preference would probably be:
1) Logic Pro X
2) Studio One
3) Mixbus 32C
4) Reaper

PT2023 on 2023 Mac Studio M2 Ultra
Apollo X8P & Twin Quad Mk2, UAD Octo Satellite, Avid Dock, Avid S1, Console 1, Digi002, 2016 MacBook Pro running PT2020
Old 03-27-2020, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrekcor View Post
Many comments mainly by the same people I suspect. There are some that have a heap of time to whinge about this and whinge about that. I’m betting some of those people and I do mean some have never really read through the manual or understand how PT actually works or even discovered the deeper working of PT.

Personally I tried S1 and Reaper.... and quite frankly they are crap compared to PT. But there are folks who swear by them, and good for them too..... but who then badger Avid about pushing PT to be like S1 or Reaper.... well I can tell you one thing if PT was to ever try to be like them it would be the end of some great software. Funny how when you visit these two particularly they like to claim how much like PT they are..... really they are not.

Yeah, though i would say reaper is exceptionally powerful. It really is its own program. It is just a program you have to put a LOT of time into before it starts working for you (rather than the other way around)

Anyway, i just realised that PT doesn't include the automation features i need in the standard package - don't think i can justify paying an extra 50 bucks a month for some automation features. As much as i would love to - and i really would...love the program.

I think what most people have a problem with is avids behaviour as a company rather than the software...but i could be wrong.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:07 AM

Completely, completely, completely fed up with Avid support!

It seems their standard way of working is to try stalling the ticket as much as possible, keeping themselves busy not solving anything, and probably just hoping the customer gives up anyway.

I cannot generalize over all support tickets, but I would say in about 90% of the tickets, this is the case. Agonizing!

Today I encountered a very simple problem with duplicating Track Groups: You cannot assign an ID of your choice, everything is greyed out. I included a screenshot showing everything.

Their response: Can you make a movie?

REALLY? Make a movie? For a perfectly described problem with the included screenshot showing everything they need to know? They must think I have nothing better to do? They can't think for themselves or what?

They definitely need to work on their attitude and become more service oriented again. Think for/with the customer instead of working against them. Sorry, but this is just plain unacceptable.

Avid DO 100% have a problem with their customer support. They need to sort that out.
Old 05-03-2020, 08:41 AM

I really think that is unfair seeing most companies aren’t even open for # support. .. and i can give you a few Paypal! no phone support since mid march which is INSANE considering ALL their farkups constantly!

And how do you know 90% of the tickets are ”ignored” as you put if?

Apple in Sweden is closed for phone support aswell and we are stuck with useless Q&A pages with BS!

We pay for Apple support and just paid over €€€€€ euro for the new Mac Pro 7.1’s and still no support!?!

So give Avid some slack right now but IF this is not changing when MR.ORANGE open up the US again then it is another problem all together.

I am NOT and have never been a ”give avid the benefit of the doubt guy” but right now there are BANKS holding millions of euro hostage collecting interest due to the F’e up login issues and other Sh$t problems so I am not jumping on the bandwagon just yet.

And making a video of your issue seeing all phone support people might not have a Mac and PC with PT and all the hundreds of configs right there a video clip is pretty useful actually

And a PS. Good luck trying to get support for Logic or Cubase right now

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————
Old 05-03-2020, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southsidemusic View Post
I really think that is unfair seeing most companies aren’t even open for # support. .. and i can give you a few Paypal! no phone support since mid march which is INSANE considering ALL their farkups constantly!

And how do you know 90% of the tickets are ”ignored” as you put if?

Apple in Sweden is closed for phone support aswell and we are stuck with useless Q&A pages with BS!

We pay for Apple support and just paid over €€€€€ euro for the new Mac Pro 7.1’s and still no support!?!

So give Avid some slack right now but IF this is not changing when MR.ORANGE open up the US again then it is another problem all together.

I am NOT and have never been a ”give avid the benefit of the doubt guy” but right now there are BANKS holding millions of euro hostage collecting interest due to the F’e up login issues and other Sh$t problems so I am not jumping on the bandwagon just yet.

And making a video of your issue seeing all phone support people might not have a Mac and PC with PT and all the hundreds of configs right there a video clip is pretty useful actually

And a PS. Good luck trying to get support for Logic or Cubase right now
You don't need to drag in all those other companies. My complaint is about Avid. The company I am paying big $$$ to, in return for a product that actually works and helps me get my work done.

The 90% is according to my own stats. You don't want to know how many support tickets I have open with Avid at this moment! Some about some very fundamental issues with the Pro Tools software.

And HD Native... Never worked! Out of pure misery I've had to switch to HDX to get a workable solution. With all the cost involved. HD Native not working... HDX cards failing... Interfaces failing... Software failing... License system failing...

Avid doesn't deserve any benefit of the doubt no more. For me there's no doubt. They're incompetent. I can not see this company survive in a 10 years time frame.

I don't disagree with you that a video can in some cases be quite useful. But in this particular case, it would add 0,0 to make the case. It's not a complicated workflow. It's just creating and duplicating a track group. You can do that on any system, at home, on Pro Tools First, if you need. It's about the attitude of first line support. Once again, because of the number of tickets I have, I'm in a position to make claims about the pattern I see in their responses.

And about Logic and Cubase.. I'm not saying either of them is bug free, but none of them suffer from the very basic and fundamental bugs I'm reporting to Avid at this moment. Those other programs just actually work.

But that's not the point. Avid should understand that users that go through the trouble of reporting an actual bug which is hindering their work are doing this, first of all, in their own interest, but also in the interest of Avid itself. They just don't seem to get that. Meanwhile the competition advances, to Avid's detriment.

Just don't forget we actually pay a considerable yearly fee for updates and support. Then you may ask what for? And that's why I'm completely fed up with Avid! There's just no excuse.
Old 05-03-2020, 01:41 PM

I hear ya! I mentioned other companies due to Covid-19 issues and that most are closed so it is very hard to have a support team right now that can handle the workflow! I am sure Avid will do something for guys and gals like you when everything gets back to ”normal” if that will ever happen (i hope and pray every night) but again I hear you and I understand your plight!

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————