Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid S4/S6
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-2014, 02:36 AM

Default Re: S6 furniture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew Mazurek View Post
Supply and demand, yup.

I'm just making the case to stay local, support a craftsman, and get exactly what you want.

If you look at my site, the PT rig shown is my home studio which has custom furniture made by my brother in law.

he also recently made one for musician/composer BT. see pic.
Holy cow, this is incredibly beautiful!

iMac Pro
- MacOS 10.14.6
---
- Pro Tools U HDN 2019.6
- Avid HD Omni + HD I/O 8x8x8
- C|24 | S3 | Dock
Old 05-20-2014, 08:13 PM

Those all look nice but why does every furniture maker make parts in the way of sound waves and big flat surfaces that will reflect sound? I would love to see an acoustician design audio furniture.
Custom Build CPU, HDX 1, Omni, 192 I/O Digital
S6 M10 24 fader
Satellite Mac Pro, HDNative, 192 I/0
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 05-21-2014, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandonx1 View Post
Those all look nice but why does every furniture maker make parts in the way of sound waves and big flat surfaces that will reflect sound? I would love to see an acoustician design audio furniture.
Mainly because anything other than flat surfaces won't really work for equipment placing. Imagine trying to rest your arm or elbows on a console surface that goes every which way but flat? Or how about having a place to keep written session notes or your coffee cup? Besides if you place your monitors correctly you shouldn't have problems with reflections from surfaces in front of the monitors.

Don't blame furniture makers for our sins of bad monitor placement.

QAPLA!
Old 05-21-2014, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Don't want to sound like I'm pimpin' as I mentioned them earlier, but Sterling Modular supposedly strongly considers acoustics when designing their stuff. They use fabric in areas such as "backs" and areas like that where you wouldn't be "sitting" things like other equipment.

There's a good review of their stuff in TapeOp magazine, and I think there was one in Sound on Sound, both in the last year or so, and both probably available online...
Note that all opinions, observations, whatever, in this post are mine, unless I'm being mean or am wrong, in which case it's somebody else's fault. I do not work for Avid (their loss)...my only relationship with Avid is that of a customer (when I'm not too poor to buy stuff, like now)...and that hot administrative assistant...that's more of a "thing" than a "relationship" (that should keep them guessing for a while...)

Just rockin'...what more is there?

Bill in Pittsburgh
Old 05-21-2014, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Of course, virtually all flat parts will be covered with gear, monitors, keyboards, etc...

Mixing and Mastering click here to get started.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:17 AM

Default S6 furniture

God that's a beautiful piece....cedar maybe ?

I can't tell b/c of the lighting in the pic
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicman691 View Post
Mainly because anything other than flat surfaces won't really work for equipment placing. Imagine trying to rest your arm or elbows on a console surface that goes every which way but flat? Or how about having a place to keep written session notes or your coffee cup? Besides if you place your monitors correctly you shouldn't have problems with reflections from surfaces in front of the monitors.

Don't blame furniture makers for our sins of bad monitor placement.
100% sorry man. Anything flat in your field of vision is going to reflect sounds and cause comb filtering. Anything abstracting your monitors from for ears is going to cause frequency cancelations due to reflections.

I have an extremely small desk and monitors placed very well on isolated speaker stands and I still get 800 hz resonance from my desk. If someone would make a perforated desk or an absorbent desk, I'd buy on in a heartbeat. If no one comes out with one in the next 6 months, I will have something built. FYI my room is +- 4 dB until 40hz. Everything is optimized except the poorly designed furniture I've chopped up to make smaller.
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 05-21-2014, 09:43 AM

Quote:
100% sorry man. Anything flat in your field of vision is going to reflect sounds and cause comb filtering. Anything abstracting your monitors from for ears is going to cause frequency cancelations due to reflections.

I have an extremely small desk and monitors placed very well on isolated speaker stands and I still get 800 hz resonance from my desk. If someone would make a perforated desk or an absorbent desk, I'd buy on in a heartbeat. If no one comes out with one in the next 6 months, I will have something built. FYI my room is +- 4 dB until 40hz. Everything is optimized except the poorly designed furniture I've chopped up to make smaller.
Your desk resides on what? You might actually be getting a resonant frequency of the sub floor? If your floor is hollow and your desk is sitting right on it without any padding in between the floor and the desk, the floor might be acting as a resonant case.

Wave-T.com
Old 05-21-2014, 10:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Your desk resides on what? You might actually be getting a resonant frequency of the sub floor? If your floor is hollow and your desk is sitting right on it without any padding in between the floor and the desk, the floor might be acting as a resonant case.
Isolated concrete slab. It s a well known fact desk's cause comb filtering. I'm not just discovering this and it's not a hidden secret. Any acoustision will tell you this and if you've ever had one at your spot to tune your room you would know just how bad desks are. Look at mastering rooms. Smallest desk possible.
S6 M10 24 fader
Black Magic HD Extreme
Old 05-21-2014, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Isolated concrete slab. It s a well known fact desk's cause comb filtering. I'm not just discovering this and it's not a hidden secret. Any acoustision will tell you this and if you've ever had one at your spot to tune your room you would know just how bad desks are. Look at mastering rooms. Smallest desk possible.
+1. If you doubt what he says try this, run pink noise through your monitors, run a good flat mic back into an aux on protools and put a spectrum analyser on it. Now move the mic around your desk and listening position and have a look at the comb filters, clear as day.

:)

Creative Director - Red Note Visionary Sounds: http://rednote.com.au
Label: http://www.stereomissile.com/
Music Production / Mixing: http://www.stereomissile.com/musicproducer/
Mastering: http://www.stereomissile.com/mastering/