Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > ProControl, Control|24, Command|8
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-28-2000, 08:24 AM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 11-28-2000, 08:47 PM

Default Re: I invite Pro Tools users to use ProControl studio but most of them use Logic?????????

Tightbeats

If it matters I think you are right.
Sure would be nice to be able to use the Procontrol with other apps.
Even if Protols is just a "mixing desk" as someone put it.
Whatever...
This was a major dissapointment for us that Digi is not collaborating
as much with Emagic as we might have hoped and they did in the old days. But it has been fruitless to discuss that here or
on some lists like he Daw-Mac in the last few years.
Never say die...and the fat lady might have taken a walk around the block before she comes on..what do I know.

regards
j
Old 11-29-2000, 05:00 AM

Default Re: I invite Pro Tools users to use ProControl studio but most of them use Logic?????????

"I also see Digi catching up with logic with 5.1 and hopefull, we wont have to discuss logic ever again"...

Hmmm, don't think so, the legasy of Logic is here to stay...

Jules
www.gearslutz.com
Old 11-29-2000, 11:32 AM

I never said Pro Tools was "just a mixing desk." I said ProControl was a mixing desk and that Pro Tools (in comparison to Logic) is mixing software. Personally, I use Pro Tools for tracking, editing, mixing and arranging. I've used Logic, but don't really like it. To use an analogy, when I get in my car, I like to turn the key, press the accellerator and be able to go where I want to go, without having to open the glove box, fiddle with the carburator, tweak my starter configs, choose different accellerator settings and read 20 different speedometers before getting to my destination.

But I guess that's a whole seperate issue altogether.

Seriously, ProControl is made to match the automation capabilites in Pro Tools. If you want a control surface for Logic, you should talk to emagic.

Old 11-29-2000, 01:29 PM

Sidereal,

Sorry for misquote, no offence intended.
I just agree with tightbeats, and I sure feel silly buying separate
control surfaces for all different apps.
already have PC for PT, Morormix for Kyma, Radical for logic
on the way....
It defeats the purpose of a control surface if it is not somewhat generic.

dos centavos
j

[This message has been edited by houser (edited November 29, 2000).]
Old 11-29-2000, 02:13 PM

I feel your pain. It makes me glad that I use one software app for everything... you don't have to worry so much about compatibility nightmares.

I wonder if there's a control surface that works for both. MotorMix and HUI work with Pro Tools, do they also work with Logic? Granted they're not nearly as precise as PC for PT, but it's an option. I guess it's not a solution for Jules' original issue though.

[This message has been edited by sidereal (edited November 29, 2000).]
Old 11-29-2000, 04:39 PM

"Seriously, ProControl is made to match the automation capabilites in Pro Tools. If you want a control surface for Logic, you should talk to emagic."

Thats a slap in the face for a comercial studio trying to bring in clients 'hooked on Logic'. Thankfully I'm not a comercial facility... I would, however, like several Logic user chums to book my place from time to time...

Jules

[This message has been edited by Jules (edited November 29, 2000).]
www.gearslutz.com
Old 11-30-2000, 12:04 AM

Default Post deleted by Digidesign

Old 11-30-2000, 09:06 AM

The point is that Emagic are sure to make their own surface if the PC is not open for development.

...and maybe that will be open for Protools..;.9)

thanx
j
Old 12-01-2000, 01:04 PM

There seems to be a lack of understanding about what a control surface is, and how the Pro-Control operates.

I can understand your frustrations, you see a piece of equipment with an excellent features list that you want to be able to use with your MIDI sequencer (Logic) but can't. What you don't seem to realise is that those excellent features of the ProControl exist precisely because PTools does not use the MIDI standard for mixing/automation. So on the one hand you have a piece of software designed exclusively to record and manipulate MIDI information and on the other you have a piece of software with a control surface that specifically avoids the use of MIDI. This is an absolutely fundamental difference between PTools and a MIDI sequencer like Logic. There is no quick patch, either Digi or Emagic would have to completely redesign their software.

<< I want to use the same system for writing and arranging through Logic before he puts it into ProTools to do his magic. Why should I have to buy two control surfaces? >>

You don't, in fact you don't need any control surfaces except a keyboard and a mouse. If you want an additional control surface for both programs then you will need a surface that uses the lowest common denominator, ie. MIDI. Get yourself a generic MIDI controller like the HUI. But of course, it will only control the limited feature set of MIDI. The ProControl on the other hand was specifically designed to take advantage of the feature set within PTools. A feature set that does not exist in Logic.

<< ...if a user wants a ProControl for its strengths and also wants a control surface for Logic or whatever sequencer, what's the big deal if digi opens the specs? So what if there are midi limitations, I can work with that. >>

Really ... Logic uses MIDI to control fader levels, pan, etc. The ProControl does not. So the MIDI limitations we are talking about includes no control whatsoever of the channel levels or pan positions. If you can work with that you are a better engineer than me.

<< It defeats the purpose of a control surface if it is not somewhat generic. >>

If you want a generic MIDI controller go and buy one. However, like the control surfaces of all other higher end mixing systems, the ProControl is designed to facilitate the use of the specific features available in it's underlying software/hardware. Why limit your complaints to DigiDesign. Why not complain to AMS/Neve, SSL or Euphonix that their control surfaces can't be used from within Logic.

I hope this has cleared up a few points.

Greg