Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 10-19-2002, 01:39 AM

Default Focusrite 420 or Avalon 737sp????

Please help. i'm using the focusrite 430 producer pack bu i have treid everything to get the sound i want from it but fail. I have recored in other studios the have used the Avalon 737sp and i have loved the sound they got from it. Are they at all similer or should i get the Avalon? By the way

what i mean is i'm tryin to get the vocals to sit up front in the mix that has warmth but does'nt lack clarity. I had the sound i wanted once but i don't think my focusrite is working properly. The last thing i tried to do was to record the vocal using the pre- amp but no EQ and then later patch the focusrite back in on the mix to EQ after witch did sound good but here's the thing.The digital SPDIFF signal that i connect the focusrite into pro-tools with seems to be weak beacuse with guitars and bass it's ok but when i do vocals i need the to have the signal hit way into the red on the VU meter just to get enought signal to come into pro-tools with without clipping,(I have turned up the output control )but it just isn't loud enough even with the fader all the way up. I have also tried the normal OP1 OUTPUT witch is way strange because it's way too loud. I need to turn the levels all the way down just under 1 too stop it from clipping. Wierd. Do you think theres a problem?
Old 10-19-2002, 04:05 AM

Default Re: Focusrite 420 or Avalon 737sp????

We have had nothing but good results from this unit using the analogue out. I did get the digital card but returned it because it didn't work properly. It prevents the compression listening mode from functioning and I seem to remember a problem with sample rates too. I discussed it with focusrite who accepted the issue. I dont know what has happened since. I love it just the way it is though.
J
Old 10-19-2002, 06:00 PM

Default Re: Focusrite 420 or Avalon 737sp????

if you do the Avalon try and go w/ the "AD2022" or preferably the "M5" (mono 1/2 rack space). If you gonna do the Focusrite try the "ISA" series. Just picked up a "Vipre" .........I will report back shortly w/ results!!