Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2012, 03:22 PM

Default Disk Cache buggy with playlist switching

I am testing a 3 card HDX system on a film scoring session. We have about 50 sessions which coincide with cues. The cues are about 2-7min in length. We are running 72channels recording at a a time and sometimes overdubbing at 32bit 192k. In each session we can go through 40 or so playlists where we can be creating new playlists for all 72 channels simultaneously.

It seems that when we switch playlist the Disk Cache is sometimes not clearing and gets stuck with old info from a previous playlist (It says everything cache is 100% even when there is one small audio file in the session playlist). I would playback and have the playback head set at the front of a new playlist audio files and sometimes my Disk will be reading 2% (meaning disk cache is working) and other times in the same length of cue it will run the disk at 60%ish meaning disk cache isn't functioning. When it isn't functioning properly it usually shows Disk Cache and Timeline Cached are at 100%. It will randomly go away and reload the disk cache properly. Reopen session doesn't clear the cache sometimes either.

Could we either have an option to cache by playlist as opposed to session or can we fix it so that a different playlist empties and reloads the cache? A force reload cache might be handy too.

We are running PT10.1.0 OSX 10.7.2 in a Nehalem 2.66 GHz Quad. 32GB of ram disk Cache set to load 20GB of that. Startup disk is an SSD. New interfaces with the 3 HDX cards.

Hope that all made sense!
Thanks for any advice ahead of time.

P.S.- We also have to have Pause during playback selected in the task manager for things to run properly even though it is showing nothing in the task manager.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Default Re: Disk Cache buggy with playlist switching

Anythoughts anyone? AVID?
Old 03-10-2012, 08:02 PM

Default Re: Disk Cache buggy with playlist switching

I'm not clear what your actual performance issue is. I believe the cache is only purged when needed.
Btw, how does this all perform on "normal" disk cache setting? I've found a lot of people with reasonably fast drives are trying to partially cache the session, which can, in some cases cause delays as Pro Tools re-prioritizes what needs to be cached. Unless you are getting "disk too slow" errors I'd recommend you use "normal." if youmwant to cache the whole session I would buy more RAM.
Dc