Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Windows
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2011, 05:32 AM

Default Need help...songs key is now 1/2 step sharper

Yes, it is a song in D, or was a song in D. Sample rate and bit depth is the same. Quite honestly all that changed is I opened the project the next day and it is sharp, a half step sharp. No additional plugs, no elastique...nothing that I can tell. I tried shutting Pro Tools down, I did a computer restart...,nothing gets it back to D.

This song is now about 17 tracks...can't stand the thought of starting over.

Any help would sure be appreciated.

Pro Tools 9.03
Windows 7 Home Premium
i7 Quad Core 2.83GHz
8 gigs ram
M Audio Pro Fire 610

Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 07:13 AM

Default Re: Need help...songs key is now 1/2 step sharper

How is your system clocked? Is there anything different between the 2 days regarding hardware? Sounds like you recorded at 44.1K, but now its playing back at 48K.

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 08-03-2011, 08:47 AM

This is the telltale sign of a mis-clocked session. Generally, what happens is a session is created at one sample-rate. The users sets PT to receive clock from some external device that is sending audio to PT digitally, but the external device's sample rate is set to something different than the SR chosen for the session. Unfortunately, at the time you may not notice the problem, as everything will sound "okay". It is only when the external clock is removed or finally set correctly that the problem becomes apparent. There are ways that you can "re-sample" the audio files, and I'm sure they have been described on this forum many times.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 08-03-2011, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
How is your system clocked? Is there anything different between the 2 days regarding hardware? Sounds like you recorded at 44.1K, but now its playing back at 48K.
That is the first thing I thought, too! But it is still 44 and nothing has changed that I am aware of. I have checked and checked....still stumped.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneal92 View Post
This is the telltale sign of a mis-clocked session. Generally, what happens is a session is created at one sample-rate. The users sets PT to receive clock from some external device that is sending audio to PT digitally, but the external device's sample rate is set to something different than the SR chosen for the session. Unfortunately, at the time you may not notice the problem, as everything will sound "okay". It is only when the external clock is removed or finally set correctly that the problem becomes apparent. There are ways that you can "re-sample" the audio files, and I'm sure they have been described on this forum many times.
If this is true, it has to be the Pro Fire, right? However, I am 99% certain both were set at 44 before and now.

But if this did happen could I just reset both to 48 and see if that corrects it? Or, do you have another suggestion?

Thanks.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:15 AM

If the ProFire was your interface, then it is probably not the source of the problem. Were you using any external mic pres or bringing in any audio via the S/PDIF connection, or had anything connected to it? Did you have your system clocking set to Internal (in the Hardware Setup)?

Can you detail exactly what you were using for recording? It is possible that there is some other reason, but with what little info you have given it is hard to say.
.: Pro Tools Certified Instructor
.: Pro Tools Expert Certified in Music
Old 08-03-2011, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cneal92 View Post
If the ProFire was your interface, then it is probably not the source of the problem. Were you using any external mic pres or bringing in any audio via the S/PDIF connection, or had anything connected to it? Did you have your system clocking set to Internal (in the Hardware Setup)?

Can you detail exactly what you were using for recording? It is possible that there is some other reason, but with what little info you have given it is hard to say.
The reason I have given so little is there is so little involved.

Nothing external at all. I am doing a very simple personal song/project. There is drums from a rendered software program (same bit and sample rate as project).....then 8 rhythm guitars, 2 melody gtrs, 2 harmony gtrs and 1 bass all plugged into the Pro Fire one track at a time.

I have opened and added to the project over four or five separate days. Last night the key had changed from D to D#...almost, not quite all the way to D#.

System set to internal clocking.

What could I be missing?
Old 08-03-2011, 03:11 PM

Just fired up Pro Tools and the Pro Fire and I am back to the key of D. Man, this makes no sense but it is good...I was ready for a miserable hour or two fixing this somehow.

It would be nice to know why this happened!