Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2008, 06:38 PM

Default 96k 192k Digital Noise Problem?

I'm running HD3 Accel on a PC. I have a Sync I/O as the external clock and a 192 I/O interface.

I've noticed something when I record 96k or 192k. If I zoom all the way up on the waveform level and the zoom in on the frequency there are little "ticks" recorded, first they show as clusters, then if you zoom wider they are single pulses. I've recorded with nothing feeding my 192 and they are still there. I ran the same test at 48k and there is nothing there.

A friend runs HD3 Accel on a Mac with a Big Ben clock. He has the same thing. He also did his first 96k session and on two of the tracks the ticks are audible. He gave me a copy of the session and on one of the tracks it sounds like a dial-up modem and you can see a bit stream.

Any thoughts, please.
Old 11-18-2008, 09:03 PM

Default Re: 96k 192k Digital Noise Problem?

Could it be a bad wordclock cable or a loose connection? Is there anything nearby that might be generating some kind of RF interference?

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 11-19-2008, 05:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by albee1952 View Post
Could it be a bad wordclock cable or a loose connection? Is there anything nearby that might be generating some kind of RF interference?
The same thing is happening in two different studios.

Should one terminate the wordclock at the last I/O?

Both installations have long (12') digilink cables, can they be an issue?
Old 11-19-2008, 10:56 AM
Avid

Something isn't adding up here.

If you have a Sync IO and a 192, there should be no need for word clock unless you're clocking to a source other than the Sync IO. Is that possibly the case?

Clocking to a Sync IO is done through the loop sync connections.

Your friend with the Big Ben obviously would be clocked to an external device. In your situation, though, without an external WC source maybe you're setting things up improperly, causing the problem.

If you take the Sync IO out of the equation, does the problem go away? What about your friend - does the problem disappear if he clocks internally, rather than to the Big Ben?
Old 11-19-2008, 11:54 AM

Smile Re: 96k 192k Digital Noise Problem?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DigiTechSupt View Post
Something isn't adding up here.

If you have a Sync IO and a 192, there should be no need for word clock unless you're clocking to a source other than the Sync IO. Is that possibly the case?

Clocking to a Sync IO is done through the loop sync connections.

Your friend with the Big Ben obviously would be clocked to an external device. In your situation, though, without an external WC source maybe you're setting things up improperly, causing the problem.

If you take the Sync IO out of the equation, does the problem go away? What about your friend - does the problem disappear if he clocks internally, rather than to the Big Ben?
Problem solved by running "Tech Support Utility." However I wasn't prepared to losing my C24 and Sync I/O and couldn't remember how to get them back, you should warn a person - they are now back to working.

Will run "Tech Support Utility" on my clients machine.

Wonder if others have a similar problem and don't know it. Is there another test other then recording a track and looking at it.

BTW I have a Logitek UV-5.1 digital meter and the problem read on it very loud and clear but did not read on my 7.4 software, c24, or 192 meters or the UV-5.1 in analog mode.