Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2001, 09:41 PM

Default Please Help!!! Word CLock problems

Hi ,
I have a big problems with my setup. A lots of clips pops, rains, storms, etc..
This is my setup

G4 - 5.1.1 PT Mix +
(1) 888/24
(1) Adat Bridge
(1) USD
(1) BRC (ADAT)

I tried with the 888 in the mix core and viceversa.

I don't know how to put the BNC cables.

BRC is the master via Midi.
How do I set the BRC , The PT Setup.

Please Help.
I tried tech support by phone but with no luck.

THank You,

Mr Musix.
[img]images/icons/confused.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 12:58 AM

Default Re: Please Help!!! Word CLock problems

I would first hook up your system without connecting adats and BRC : 888 on core, adatbridge on farm.
I assume that your USD is connected to your core card through the digiserial port *and* that it is recognised in the peripherals (*not* generic timecode reader, it shoud say USD). If not, the procedure is in the manuals

Then connect USD slaveclock output to 888 slave clock In, 888 slaveclock out to adabridge slaveclock in (*do not* confuse slaveclock and wordclock connectors on adatbridge!)
Go to session setup to check if the clocks are on internal. Do not select digital input, neither on the session setup screen nor in the 888 hardware window.
Now all PT should work without any clock problems. If it does, next step is the BRC and adats.
Altghough I am not familiar with BRC, I believe the right scenario is having PT as clock master, even if it is positional slave.

For this connect WORDCLOCK out (not slaveclock!!!) from adatbridge to BRC wordclock in (there must be such a connector).
Then have your BRC sync to wordclock. I suppose that in such a case that BRC redistributes clock to all adats connected to it, which must be engaged in some kind of BRC specific slave mode (see adat manuals if in doubt).
From there on the lightpipe streams from the adats should be clock synchronous with the adatbridge since it is now the clock source of the whole Adat setup.

Without trying to sync transports at this stage, try exchanging audio between adats and PT. I believe it should work.

If it does then you only need to get the positional sync going, something the USD manual explains in detail I think.
*But* as far as clock reference PT should stay in internal mode and the BRC in wordclock slave mode.
Hope this helps
Old 11-27-2001, 06:09 PM

Thank you for your help Mark, but the true is that nothing work and I lost my hope. Maybe something is wrong with my adat bridge but I don't if maybe is a bnc connection on the other equipment.

I changed BNC cables, Optical Cables.. I did your suggestion, I called twice DigiTech Support with no clue. ( I thought Digi help was very poor when I was paying $3.00 /minute . I called yesterday and today and their help was the same)

Anyway, I check others post, nothing works. Well I'm going to star sending the Adat Bridge to Digi for $200 the repair.

Thank you for your post.

Mr. Musix
[img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]
Old 11-27-2001, 11:24 PM

Here is my setup:

ADAT IN SYNC with Pro Tools Mix Plus( 5.01 )

Mix Core (mix card 1) 888/24
Mix Farm (mix card 2) ADAT bridge A+B (Y-cable)
DSP Farm no interface

Clock reference: 48 kHz only

Rosendahl nanosync super clock out to USD super clock in.
USD super clock out to 888/24 slave in.
888/24 slave out to Adat Bridge slave in.
Adat Bridge WORD CLOCK out to BRC 48kHz in.
BRC smpte out to USD LTC in.
Lightpipe in and out from adat to Adat Bridge.

BRC setup:

EXT Sync on. 48 kHz.
GEN Sync (time code) on.

Pro Tools Session Setup Window:

Sync mode: INTERNAL (888/24)
1-2 input: ANALOG/DIGITAL (888/24)
Sample rate: 48 kHz
USD Clock Reference: SUPER CLOCK (from nanosync)
USD Positional Reference: LTC

NOTE!
In this system the clock master is Rosendahl Nanosync. But you can use the USD as a master clock. Just drop the Rosendahl off from that chain.

If you want to use OPTICAL sync mode, the whole setup must be in a different order.
But I can’t find any reason to do so. In that case the Adat bridge must be the first interface (Mix Core) and the first one that gets clock reference from USD. Allso BRC EXT sync must be off, otherwise adat runs in ”random speed”.

Very important thing is: Don’t use long BNC (sync) cables! I took a shot with a 7 meter cable and had a lot of clicks and pops.

Good luck,
Matti
Old 11-28-2001, 08:57 AM

Hi Matti,

I couldn't help but notice that you are not using your Nanosyncs as a masterclock for your system but only as a replacement clock for your USD. Are you aware that by continuing to daisy-chain your clock signal around your system you are only gaining a fraction of the benefit of owning a quality masterclock like the Nanosyncs?

If you don't mind my advice, this is how you should be connecting your Nanosyncs to your system:

Set outputs 4, 5 and 6 on your Nanosyncs to superclock (x256). Use 75oHm impedence cables all of the same length and preferably less than 3m (15 feet), to connect output 4 of your Nanosyncs to the superclock in of the USD. Connect output 5 from your Nanosyncs to your 888/24 slave in and connect ouput 6 to your ADAT Bridge slave in. Lastly connect output 1, 2 or 3 from your Nanosyncs to your BRC. Your LTC connections and other settings all stay the same.

Nothing should be connected to the clock outs of any of your equipment, with the exception of your Nanosyncs. Your Nanosyncs is now operating as the true masterclock for your entire system and you should notice a considerable reduction your system's jitter and therefore improved definition in your mixes.

Hope this helps,

Greg
Old 11-28-2001, 10:16 AM

Since daisy chaining is a problem, why do these master clocks all have inadequate numbers of superclock outputs? What are you supposed to do if you're running 32 channels of I/O? I suppose using a T-connector for those boxes that cannot have a discrete 256x output is the next best choice.
Old 11-28-2001, 11:11 PM

Hi Greg,

You are absolutely right.
This setup was wroted down a year ago when I had a lot of Adat work.
Have to update the paper...

thanks,
Matti
Old 11-29-2001, 04:07 AM

Hi Pindy,

<< Since daisy chaining is a problem, why do these master clocks all have inadequate numbers of superclock outputs? >>

Because AFAIK, the only equipment on the market that uses superclock are the 888s, 1622, ADAT bridge and USD. Every other bit of kit on the market with clock inputs uses standard wordclock. So you've got a relatively small demand for superclock which was made worse by the fact that until fairly recently the vast majority of Digi users were not aware or concerned about clocking issues. That all changed 2 or 3 years ago after several threads here on the DUC. I should imagine that virtually overnight Rosendahl probably tripled their sales of Nanosyncs!

Some of the new units coming out are attempting to fill the demand for superclock. The new Lucid Gen6x96 for example, still has only 6 clock outputs but each of them can be individually switched to superclock.

Prior to the Lucid, if you needed more superclock outs the correct way to do it is to use one or more clock distribution amps, the Aardsync D.A. for example.

Using T-connectors is stongly discouraged by most masterclock manufacturers. Splitting a signal like this can only degrade it. It may work fine but equally it may cause problems, subtle or serious.

Greg