Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 09-21-2007, 06:54 PM

Default How do you program Motif synth data as audio?

I am currently programming sounds using a Motif ES8 into Pro Tools 7.3 via MBox. I am recording the sounds as MIDI tracks, and can see the data in the session. However, it will not play back, and is not included as audio in any of my bounces.

I have been told that (naturally) I need to record this sound into an audio track. OR convert the MIDI track into an audio track. How do I do this so that the data from my Motif shows up in my Pro Tools session?

Thanks so much, in advance, for your help!

G
Old 09-21-2007, 08:26 PM

Default Re: How do you program Motif synth data as audio?

Principally, MIDI (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) is a specification for a communications protocol and as such does not contain sound. In order for Pro Tools to record Audio in this situation is to route a one quarter inch TRS or TS cable (mono or stereo) to the Audio Output source of the Motif to either the 'Line Level' or DI ('inst' on the Mbox) Input source on your Digi hardware. This same connection needs to be mirrored in the AUX Input selector in Pro Tools.

Check MIDI Thru and turn Local Off.

Hope this helps.

filosofem