Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-16-2007, 08:43 PM

Default 7.3.1 can\'t open 5.1 sessions?

I keep trying to open some old sessions - from PT 5.1 and I get the following error...

"The document could not be opened because it was created with an older version of Pro Tools"

Is this for real? When did the backward compatability stop?

I have tried importing session data into a new session - same error...

Anyone?

www.peterwademusic.com
Old 01-17-2007, 06:10 AM

Default Re: 7.3.1 can\'t open 5.1 sessions?

If you can load up the sessions in another computer with PT5.1 installed, try saving them with Mac/PC enforced... that may do the trick.

web page
Old 01-17-2007, 06:57 AM

same exact problem 7.3.1..had to go back to the studio consolidate all wave files and pull them into a new session..was saved mc/pc compatable.
Old 01-17-2007, 06:58 AM

same exact problem 7.3.1..had to go back to the studio consolidate all wave files and pull them into a new session..was saved mc/pc compatable.
Old 01-17-2007, 07:11 AM

Quote:
If you can load up the sessions in another computer with PT5.1 installed, try saving them with Mac/PC enforced... that may do the trick.

Can someone from CS please confirm or deny this!!???

I hope this is not the case.
That would mean that I would have to "save as" 10 years worth of sessions before upgrading to 7.3.
I've been waiting to upgrade from 7.2cs2 to see what all the issues are.

This would be the #1 reason for me not to upgrade.
Old 01-17-2007, 08:33 AM
Avid

We've not had any problems opening 5.x sessions in newer versions of Pro Tools and backwards compatibility has not been removed.

Where did these sessions come from? Were they ever transferred over a network? Does the 5.1 session icon show properly? When you try to open the session, do you just get the error and nothing else? Is there any kind of progress bar and, if so, can you see where it is in the load process when it stops?
Old 01-17-2007, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Where did these sessions come from? Were they ever transferred over a network? Does the 5.1 session icon show properly? When you try to open the session, do you just get the error and nothing else? Is there any kind of progress bar and, if so, can you see where it is in the load process when it stops?
Sessions were from an older drive with a lot of work on it. I tried two sessions that behaved this way. Neither had been transferred over a network. The error occurs immediately upon attempting to load the session and it's the same whether I double click on the session file, I open from PT's file menu or I attempt to import session information. There is no progress bar, the error is immediate and yes the session icon shows properly and has the .pts extension. When I get info on the session (apple-I) it says PT version 5.1

I can zip it and send it to you if it would help.

www.peterwademusic.com
Old 01-17-2007, 09:55 AM

We're also experiencing this.Unfortunately it's with sessions created with Titan. It's a pain as we can't conform the DEVA files.

Paul McFadden
Supervising Sound Editor
Doctor Who
Old 01-17-2007, 09:58 AM
Avid

Quote:
Quote:
Sessions were from an older drive with a lot of work on it. I tried two sessions that behaved this way. Neither had been transferred over a network. The error occurs immediately upon attempting to load the session and it's the same whether I double click on the session file, I open from PT's file menu or I attempt to import session information. There is no progress bar, the error is immediate and yes the session icon shows properly and has the .pts extension. When I get info on the session (apple-I) it says PT version 5.1

I can zip it and send it to you if it would help.
We'd definitely want to take a look at it. Opening a 5.1.3 demo session here did not post any errors, so I'm thinking it must be something specific to your session files.

Can you post this for download or should we contact you for a more secure method?
Old 01-17-2007, 10:15 AM

Quote:
We're also experiencing this.Unfortunately it's with sessions created with Titan. It's a pain as we can't conform the DEVA files.
Its a different workflow, but you could use "assemblerator" instead of Titan. http://www.maggot.co.nz/

Andy Snavley

Chief Sound Bender
Bendy
http://bendymusic.com/
http://www.linkedin.com/in/bendymusic