How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > macOS

Old 10-13-2013, 06:14 PM

Default Re: DAE 6101 on new iMac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Technician View Post
What is the formatting of your disk? Mac OS Extended (Journaled)? Something else?
Yeah Mac OS extended journal. I wonder if anybody else is having troubles with there 2013 27" imac. Its a beast of a machine and would hate to turn it back. I know I'm beating a dead horse but I wish avid support would comb trough these forums from time to time to give support and feedback. Its ridicules we have to pay $25 just to get support. Other forums you tend to get feedback from time to time when solutions haven't been found from a representative. Switching to Logic Pro X is so tempting, but it would mean I have to switch all my sessions over. Is there any telling when Avid will officially support OS 10.8.5
Old 10-13-2013, 06:25 PM

Im starting to believe there might be something wrong with my imac. IDK if this is related but I get loud pops and clicks during playback in my chrome browser. Not so in safari. This maybe just Flash acting up, but it may be related.
Old 10-14-2013, 04:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solo206 View Post
thanks for the responce dude, but I tried the recomended setting with a 500gb external ssd, but still no luck. I run on my internal drive on my macbook, usually runs smooth when im mixing in the box, but when I do get a error its usually a "engine cant pull audio fast enough.." not a Dae 6101. Besides im running two tracks, at times w/o plugins and still getting this error.
Doesn't matter how smooth operation you think you're getting - get an external spinning drive to record to. An ssd is not the thing to use to record to - they're best for samples. Get a spinner with at least 7200 rpm spindle speed that's not a green drive and you'll be happy. 2 tracks or not - Avid does NOT recommend and does not support recording to the internal drive. If you do spend the money to buy a support code and talk to Avid that's one of the first things they'll ask you - are you recording to an external drive and what are the specs.

Quote:
Im starting to believe there might be something wrong with my imac. IDK if this is related but I get loud pops and clicks during playback in my chrome browser. Not so in safari. This maybe just Flash acting up, but it may be related.
Flash and Macs have always had a rocky relationship. If you have an external optical drive (recent iMacs don't have optical drives anymore) pop a cd in, play it and see if that gives you any problems. Another possibility - you might have noise coming in through the ac line. Get some kind of power conditioner/filter (not one of those cheap strips you see at Radio Shack or Home Depot) and see if that helps.

QAPLA!
Old 10-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Have you done a repair permissions?

I realize these new imacs don't come with disks anymore because they don't have optical drives, but is there any kind of "hardware test" that came with it you can run?

If you open up activity monitor while the problem is happening, is there anything running in the background that is using a lot of CPU?

If a MIDI event triggers a sample of a tree falling and there's no one there to hear it, does it make a sound?
Old 10-14-2013, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Toolbox View Post
Have you done a repair permissions?

I realize these new imacs don't come with disks anymore because they don't have optical drives, but is there any kind of "hardware test" that came with it you can run?

If you open up activity monitor while the problem is happening, is there anything running in the background that is using a lot of CPU?
If they do have some kind of hardware test it's something only the people at the Genius Bar know about and can access.

QAPLA!
Old 10-14-2013, 04:47 PM

Well Ive tried on my old 7200 rpm drive and still nothing. Ive done a clean re-install of OSX and soon after installed Pro Tools, turned off wifi and blue tooth and anything imaginable to make it work. I set a appoint with apples genius bar at 5 pm to see if the imac is defecteted. I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks for all the response so far!

**By the way who said you couldn't use a a ssd to record to. On the avid site it says its supported.
"Solid State Drives (SSDs) have been tested and are qualified for use with Pro Tools 10, either as system or audio drives."
Old 10-14-2013, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Well Ive tried on my old 7200 rpm drive and still nothing. Ive done a clean re-install of OSX and soon after installed Pro Tools, turned off wifi and blue tooth and anything imaginable to make it work. I set a appoint with apples genius bar at 5 pm to see if the imac is defecteted. I'll keep you guys informed. Thanks for all the response so far!

**By the way who said you couldn't use a a ssd to record to. On the avid site it says its supported.
"Solid State Drives (SSDs) have been tested and are qualified for use with Pro Tools 10, either as system or audio drives."
SSD's are generally not good for continued read/write operations. They work best on things like sample drives where you don't have a continuous cycle of read and write with mostly read operations instead.

QAPLA!
Old 10-15-2013, 01:12 AM

So are there any others who are having problems with the latest 2013 iMacs, particularly the 27" iMacs?
Old 10-15-2013, 05:22 AM

"Well Ive tried on my old 7200 rpm drive and still nothing. "

How is your 7200 rpm drive attached?
Old 10-15-2013, 06:55 AM

Quote:
So are there any others who are having problems with the latest 2013 iMacs, particularly the 27" iMacs?
Hi, I have the same problem on my new late 2013 27" iMac (i7)! I get the same message about CPU Overload even though I only have a few plugins running. This happens in PT 10 & 11.

It usually helps increasing the H/W buffer size, but I think it has something to do with OS 10.8.5? I hope Avid fix this in a update!