Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools TDM Systems (Mac)

Old 08-21-2011, 09:55 PM

Default 192 serious oddness

I think after a year I've found the problem, I'm just not sure what the best approach is to deal with it.

I have three 192's and last year one of them started producing static/jitter on the input of one of the channels, even if it was just sitting idle with nothing feeding it. I noticed "forcefully striking" the 192 in question with my fist would generally restore the proper state (as if it was a bad connection somewhere in the box--the Fonzy approach to Pro Audio). I ignored it but eventually realized the repeated striking would probably start to damage other good, working components in the box. I promoted it to channels 17-24 since I use it rarely.

This week in the middle of a large mix my 2nd 192 started doing the same thing across a mix buss insert. This time striking it did not solve the problem. I decided to pull the box and clean the contacts inside and outside the box with DeOxit. It worked ok for about a day and then the WHOLE box started getting all weird (clock noise/static) on the whole input card (A & B input stages too).

Tonight in a moment of frustration I pulled the lid off the box and discovered the ribbon harness connecting the AD card would cause the entire input card to go into chaos if I started moving it. The card itself did not appear to be affected by force (bending, movement, stress) but the cable did. After a time of massaging the (visible) harness the box returned to normal status. So far so good.

So, I have not dug into the PSU side of this box yet (unsure if I even can) where the other end of this cable resides to try to clean it. I have NOT ruled out the AD card yet but it does seem to be independent of the problem. I'm wondering out loud if anyone else has run into this problem and how they managed to deal with it.

I havent contacted Digi to find out about replacement ribbon cables but they have to be cheaper than returning a potentially good AD card. Since I live very close to the beach it makes perfect sense that by now I'd have corrosion problems. It seems smart to start there first.

Any thoughts....?
Old 08-21-2011, 10:47 PM

Default Re: 192 serious oddness

UPDATE: After about an hour I started seeing the same behavior return but now on the output card too. I can literally cause the signal to drop in/out of either card by wiggling the ribbon cables at the crimp points near the cards.

Definitely something up with the ribbon cables. Reminds me of a bad ELCO crimp.