Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Mac)

Old 10-19-2009, 03:49 PM

Default Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

These prices have been available for years. I can get better prices than the ones Digi is doing now, through the Hardware Exchange program. Buy old legacy units, complete transfer of ownership, and upgrade. Always been cheap. Both for Cards and Hardware. Well "Cheap" is debatable, but you get what I'm saying.
Old 10-19-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Johns View Post
These prices have been available for years. I can get better prices than the ones Digi is doing now, through the Hardware Exchange program. Buy old legacy units, complete transfer of ownership, and upgrade. Always been cheap. Both for Cards and Hardware. Well "Cheap" is debatable, but you get what I'm saying.
I'd have to agree and say that this sort of deal is too little and too late. While people would love to have ADC, I can't see very many people spending $5k just to get it. Many people that are using LE products are using them in home studios and small/medium sized project studios. That sort of cash really isn't in the budget for people like that in most cases.

What would really make me interested in HD? If there was a self contained unit with at least 8 inputs. Something like 8 analog and 8 digital inputs would be nice. It doesn't even need preamps. Just a highish quality converter would do.

There are tons of us out there that do fine with just a Macbook or an iMac. I might be willing to invest $1500-$2000 in a system that I mentioned above. I just don't see many people biting the deal you're currently giving. Not only is $5k still a lot of money but I'd have to spend even more to get a Mac Pro.
http://www.pureshift.com
http://www.bsodmusic.com
Old 10-19-2009, 05:08 PM

Thumbs down Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamDC View Post

There are tons of us out there that do fine with just a Macbook or an iMac. I might be willing to invest $1500-$2000 in a system that I mentioned above. I just don't see many people biting the deal you're currently giving. Not only is $5k still a lot of money but I'd have to spend even more to get a Mac Pro.
I use a Macbook, Black Lion Audio modded 002r, good mics. and a McDSP plugs. Yes, I would like to have ADC, more power under the hood to run big session, and other HD only functions. But, I agree, it's still too much of a major cash outlay considering the quality I currently have. Besides, I think to even get what I would consider a worth while HD set-up, I would have to start with HD 2 probably more like 3 with a 192 or a BLA modded 96. Then, throw a Mac Pro and all the shipping, taxes, etc. and all of a sudden that 53% doesn't look all that attractive.
Old 10-19-2009, 05:15 PM

I guess they think everyone who they don't want to piss off already has HD or knows what's coming. This is about quarterlies. Suffer the little children.

(If you are uncomfortable with that sentiment Avid, why not include a upgrade protection plan in the deal? For example, "If Avid obsoletes this hardware within a year, you will be credited at least 50% of your purchase price toward upgrading again to the new system." That would attract more informed customers, and btw everybody, the absolute minimum an LE owner should consider an "upgrade" is an HD2 with 192io.)
Old 10-20-2009, 02:15 AM

No prices on the UK page. Is the offer only available in the US?
S6 M10
SSL Duality, AWS924, AWS948, Nucleus
All Mac
Old 10-20-2009, 03:00 AM

Mix lasted for about 6 years. HD can't last forever.
Old 10-20-2009, 05:43 AM

The previous posters have said it all. I bought the Complete toolkit to obtain certain options I needed such as track count, time code, session import, etc.. I think that ADC should certainly be part of that toolkit, otherwise it's not really "complete", is it? How about an upgrade to the toolkit Digi?
Old 10-20-2009, 05:46 AM

Thumbs down Re: Pro Tools LE to HD upgrade special: Open discussion

FWIW...

I just sold my HD-2 PCI rig after 5 years and ?graded to a 003Rack PTLE8.
I felt a sense of urgency around the demise of the PPC support and the subsequent flood of HD hardware coming onto eBay etc.

New cards and a new MacPro meant throwing even more big cash at Pro Tools HD at a time when my Logic rig is seriously kicking it's ass at a 10th of the HD-2's original price.

I have just installed and had PTLE 8 running and after getting my head around the differences between it and HD, I think it is great bang for the bucks.

The same can't be said for HD. It simply can't justify it's price tag. Period.
I think if Digidesign spent less time developing crossgrades and limited feature sets and concentrated on one solid piece of software, there would be less bugs and more happy and loyal users.

Withholding ADC from firewire hardware is an extortive grab for cash akin to having to pay for the petty mp3 option after forking out $40k+ for my HD rig.

Most people don't choose Pro Tools. They have to choose their Pro Tools compromise, after looking thru all the different bells and whistles that they could have if only they spent just a little bit more.

Seriously, if you are considering buying a new HD system, don't forget the Anger Management option...
OS X 10.6.2
Pro Tools LE 8.01CS1
DVTK2
LOGIC 9.1.1
Old 10-20-2009, 06:53 AM

I agree with pretty much all that's been said. I have a DIGI 003 and the upgrade path even at a discount is still out of my reach for what I will gain for it. Plus the fact that the PCi card thing is a no no. I got caught out on that one before with a powercore card when Macs changed to a new spec.

If DIGI want to make progress they should open their software up to all hardware manufacturers.

PT8 LE is a fantastic piece of software and I now use it more than Logic, but it needs ADC badly in my opinion.

Keep the high end stuff for studios, etc

Ian
Old 10-20-2009, 08:14 AM

Wouldn't it be interesting to know how many new HD systems are actually being sold while so many of us are holding out for the upcoming Native equivalent? The continued survival of any company in this business will be hinged on Native solutions.

Formerly hobotom

Pro Tools Ultimate 2019.5 HDX
HD Omni and 192 I/Os
Windows 10
Intel Hexcore i7
All Samsung Pro SSDs
Ampex MM1200 2" 24 trk tape
Outboard: UREI, Eventide, Lexicon, Yamaha, TC Electronics, Orban, ART, EchoAudio, Dolby, Hughes, API, Neve, Audio Arts, BBE, Aphex, Berringer, MOTU, dbx, Allison, etc.
Plug-ins: Too many to talk about.

www.metrostudios.com