Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Hardware > Pro Tools HDX & HD Native Systems (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-08-2012, 08:53 PM

Default Dangerous PCIe Installation requires Power Connected to Socket????

Hi, My install guide and install poster that came with my omni/hd native rig says leave the computer power connected to a socket while installing the pcie card. what do these people at avid want me to get shocked?

Im lost, ive never done that when installing stuff into my computer before, and my computer guy tells me its not safe to do that and that i have only had to touch metal to discharge of electricity. can someone please help?
Old 12-08-2012, 10:16 PM

Don't own omni buuuut I have always heard what ur computer guy says !!!

And possibly ur supposed to leave it connected to ensure that it has a real ground??? Could be I'm just reaching here.....

Anyway u cut it - I wouldn't think u have a problem there is just like what +15 vdc on that pcie bus??

Follow the directions exactly like the avid papers say the way there are no warranty issues
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:09 AM

Default Re: Dangerous PCIe Installation requires Power Connected to Socket????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiltrator View Post
Hi, My install guide and install poster that came with my omni/hd native rig says leave the computer power connected to a socket while installing the pcie card. what do these people at avid want me to get shocked?

Im lost, ive never done that when installing stuff into my computer before, and my computer guy tells me its not safe to do that and that i have only had to touch metal to discharge of electricity. can someone please help?
Turn the computer off, flip the on off switch on your psu, this way the ground is still connected but the psu is no longer sending any power to the mobo. Keep the power chord into the outlet, to ensure proper grounding. Keep a hand on the computer case or use the grounding bracelets. Install your card.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-09-2012, 11:33 AM

Thumbs down Re: Dangerous PCIe Installation requires Power Connected to Socket????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
flip the on off switch on your psu, this way the ground is still connected but the psu is no longer sending any power to the mobo.
Neither the manual nor the install poster says to do that. Great, now we have a third method thrown into this mess. Wish I would have taken physics. Jesus christ all I wanna do is make music in peace.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:25 PM

I'm explaining the method to use if someone states to leave the computer plugged in ( like apparently Avid did in their manual). Notice that it wasn't said to leave the computer powered on, just plugged in the outlet? That's for grounding purposes. So if you want to be sure to have good grounding without the risk of slight electrocution, you flip the switch on the psu to off, no power goes to the computer but the grounding is maintained.

Wave-T.com
Old 12-09-2012, 01:27 PM

k thanks.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emcha_audio View Post
Keep a hand on the computer case or use the grounding bracelets. Install your card.
grounding bracelet as in one i can buy at a computer store maybe? also, i never did this with the firewire card i installed... i just touched my metal part of my gator case i think... but the case was disconnected during the install of my firewire card... seems to be working fine... but for this card obviously i am not risking anything so i guess i am off to also verify this at a computer shop. im sure you can understand... and thanks for the help.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:50 PM

Quote:
grounding bracelet as in one i can buy at a computer store maybe? also, i never did this with the firewire card i installed... i just touched my metal part of my gator case i think... but the case was disconnected during the install of my firewire card... seems to be working fine... but for this card obviously i am not risking anything so i guess i am off to also verify this at a computer shop. im sure you can understand... and thanks for the help.
Yes the grounding bracelets that you can buy at the computer shop and no problem I totally understand why you want to be cautious

Wave-T.com
Old 12-09-2012, 07:13 PM

I went to the best buy geek squad and they said it is NOT reccommended to have the computer connected to a socket and they dont know why the manual says it should be ....and the card remains in its box.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
I went to the best buy geek squad and they said it is NOT reccommended to have the computer connected to a socket.....
It's really not a big deal bro but we understand if you paid real money for that you don't want to screwed up totally understand

However Best Buy's going to tell you the best recommended way..... I have no idea why avid said that but whatever Just follow the directions like avid says put it in and you're done then you move on to drivers
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.