Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > General Discussion & Off Topic > General Discussion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 01-08-2013, 04:14 AM

Default Complete Novice to Mbox 2

Hi all
Brought a Mbox 2 off ebay thinking I would just plug it in and off we go !!!
Unit arrived without protools install disc. Does Mbox need protools to operate?
The unit is a Mbox 2 , 7.3 rev.J ((for XP I think). I am using reaper DAW and just needed a audio interface so I downloaded standalone drivers for windows9.0.2.65. I have plugged unit in and reaper will recognise mbox but I cant get anything to connect(mic etc.)
I am using a computer with windows 7 64bit system and need to know how to obtain the correct installation disc I need.I have the original registration and serial numbers on a card. Which version should I be looking for in order to run an old mbox on win 7 computer.
When the unit is connected to my computer the usb indicator light on the mbox does not work (even though reaper asio can see it) is this a problem?
Aplogies if this is all basic stuff to you guys,I just want to plug in a mic and guitar and record to reaper.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:17 AM

Default Re: Complete Novice to Mbox 2

While it SHOULD work, I usually recommend Avid/Digi hardware for Pro Tools, and not for other DAW program use. Having said that, you need a working ASIO driver. If you can't find an official Mbox driver, try ASIO4ALL. That's a freeware "universal" ASIO driver that may do the trick(with a little setup work).

The better I drink, the more I mix

BTW, my name is Dave, but most people call me.........................Dave
Old 01-09-2013, 04:33 AM

Tim,

I use my old MBox2 mini with Reaper and Sony Movie Studio products without a problem. These are both running on Windows 7 (64).

You need to download and install the stand-alone ASIO drivers for Windows for the MBox product line:

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/d...Mbox-2-Drivers

I am using the 9.0.2.65 driver which has worked without problems for me.

All the best,
Jason.
Old 01-09-2013, 04:38 AM

Sorry - just read your post properly and understand that you've downloaded the drivers already.

I've not had a problem with them - unfortunately I can't shed any more light on your issue other than confirming that for me the drivers work correctly without any additional software needing to be installed. So there is nothing else you need to download.

I do get a green USB light on my Mbox as soon as the computer is booted.

Jason.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 PM

Thumbs up Re: Complete Novice to Mbox 2

Thanks Guys,
I reloaded the Avid USB drivers and plugged it all back in not expecting much to change but every thing fired up perfectly!!!!!????
Every thing seems to be doing what it is meant to do. I have returned to use it a few times and it starts up and works fine.
Thanks all for the prompt response, its good to know help is there when we need it.