Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Mac)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2008, 12:37 PM

Default Does Anybody Know of A Program So I Can Use My MacBook Keyboard to Play Midi into PT?

Hey folks-

I have to go on a trip, and have a ton of work to do. I don't have a very small midi controller, nor are airplane trays that big these days. LOL

I was wondering if there's a way to play my virtual instruments and stuff in protools, just using my macbook keyboard keys as midi keys?

I know some of the other programs can do this, and I have a standalone program that can do this...

BUT, how can I do it in Pro Tools, that way I can play my good Virtual Synths and track out a sequence?

Thanks in Advance. I leave tomorrow, so I hope somebody leads me in the right direction quick.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:07 AM

Default Re: Does Anybody Know of A Program So I Can Use My MacBook Keyboard to Play Midi into

hi, maybe MidiKeys_1.7b1 (from http://www.macmusic.org works for you.)
this is a carbon app so in runs Rosetta but I was able to connect to Intel Apps on 10.4 on my MacBook. just give it a little time to start up. Seems stable so far.

best :)
Old 11-28-2008, 01:07 AM

Default Re: Does Anybody Know of A Program So I Can Use My MacBook Keyboard to Play Midi into

I just bought a KORG nano Controller keyboard. It's very usable in tight situations. 2 Octaves, Velocity Controlled with Octave Switching etc. on a USB connection. It's about the same width as my MacBook Pro and very light. Just wish they made a protective carrying case for it though. Highly Recommend this.
Old 11-28-2008, 07:35 AM

Hi,
yes, I thought about suggesting a Korg Nano, but I had no possibility to try one until today, at the Synthesizerfest in Tokyo, where we got a direct presentation from Korg.
I was also able to get a look at PT8 at the digidesign booth

Anyway, I like the Korg Nanos very much. Also the nanoKEY is more like a Computerkeyboard than a controller keyboard I think the grip on it is pretty enough to sketch out some note while on the go.
But I was pretty impressed about the quality on the nanoPad. Very MPCish play feeling. Remarkable for that price.

ok so far best :)
Old 12-02-2008, 12:38 AM

Chirp