Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 03-12-2018, 07:12 PM

Default Loud Glitchy Static Noise When I Arm A Track to Record

I recently switched from Logic Pro 9 to Pro Tools 12. I have been experiencing an issue the past few days on my mid 2009 El Capitan Macbook Pro where I will open up a session I have previously recorded in with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 2nd gen interface selected as the playback engine and the I/O all assigned correctly, but when I go to arm a track to record, I get this really loud static noise. If I direct monitor from my interface's headphone port, I get no such noise, but when I monitor from Pro Tools, it happens every time and when I actually start recording, it doesn't go away. I have found that if I mess with the input levels and switches on my interface, it changes the character of the noise, but it doesn't make it go away. I've found that if I change the playback engine preferences to the highest sample rate, it essentially gets rid of the noise, but the resulting latency is unbearable and the clarity still doesn't seem to be quite as good as it is when I direct monitor.

I have tried the interface with Logic Pro and it works no problem which makes me think this is a pro tools issue. I have also tried changing the playback engine to an aggregate device in which the scarlett is the input and the headphone jack on my macbook pro is the output and that has worked before, but does not work consistently. I haven't been able to find anyone else with this issue in other forums I've looked at. Any help and feedback would be much appreciated!
Old 03-17-2018, 08:36 AM

Default Re: Loud Glitchy Static Noise When I Arm A Track to Record

It's the scarlett and the drivers or hardware issue.

The fact that it works with Logic doesn't make any sense.

but if you had a problem with pro tools you would see noise on both inputs...and you don't - just 1.

I would start by lowering all my gain, and double checking it's not related to a cable or something like that.
D-Command Main Unit - 'Ole Blue

http://www.sknoteaudio.com/ plugins rock and are affordable.