Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > 003, Mbox 2, Digi 002, original Mbox, Digi 001 (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-2003, 09:49 AM

Default OT: Recording violin

will have my first opportunity to record a violinist and possibly a cellist on an upcoming project. Anyone give any pointers/tips/etc..?

thanks,

rich
Old 11-26-2003, 10:26 AM

Default Re: OT: Recording violin

Take a look on THIS website...

Hope it helps...

HAVOC MUSIC

MacPro 3.5 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon E5 - Pro Tools Ultimate + HD Native + HD OMNI
MacBook Pro 2.9 GHz i7 16GB Ram (Retina, 15-inch, 2016) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Apollo Twin
iMac 27" 3.4 GHz i7 32GB Ram (Late 2012) - Pro Tools Ultimate + Mbox Pro (3rd gen)
Old 11-26-2003, 10:46 AM

The outcome of a recording is all based on the player, the instrument, the performance, the song/arrangement, and the room.. The rest is secondary.
I'd try to get them in a very nice sounding room and put a mic above them maybe a foot or so away.. and then put a mic out in the room. maybe 6 - 10' away to get the ambience.

If you're looking for a tighter more dry recording. Then take the room mics out of the equation. Experiment with mic placement and listen with your monitors. Use your ears.. They shouldn't lie to you.

http://www.ephemeralsun.com
Old 11-26-2003, 10:51 AM

It's not my fave mic for most things, but an AKG 414 is lovely for strings.
Old 11-26-2003, 07:03 PM

Lookup Gene Backlin on here... He did a song or me once and it sounded great!

GENE ya out there??? He can help ya out!

-Doc

MONUMENT SOUND ON YOUTUBE

Monument Sound Facebook

"Changing how people hear music one track at a time"
Old 11-26-2003, 08:57 PM

Recorded a violin once with a stereo pair of LD condensers about 2 feet above him. Sounded great.

A cello I have only miced live. He was a professional and came along with his own mic (a Sennheiser MKH 20.... bloody expensive mic). Anyway, he wanted it pointing straight at the bridge from about 6 inches in front of the cello. Sounded absulutely stunning.
Old 11-28-2003, 08:25 AM

Thanks everyone,

I appreciate the input..I've done a little research on my end as well. Looks like a stero mic set up a few feet above the violin is the best route. I'll experiment with the mics that I have on hand. Regardless, I'm looking forward to the session this week.

-Rich
Old 11-28-2003, 09:51 AM

Hello,

Thanks Doc for the kind words !

Yes, a few feet above the player is what I use. If you get too close you tend to pick up the bow across the strings too much. The violin as well as viola and cello are all based on vibration. A few feet will allow for a nice full sound.

Also for fun the stereo setup in addition or a room mike can add a natural 'roomy' full sound !

Have fun, let us hear some examples when available. They are truly lovely instruments to listen to !

Sorry for not responding earlier, I have been away from the 'puter for a few days.

Take Care,
Gene
Old 11-28-2003, 10:10 AM

My fav mic for violin and fiddle is the Audio Technica 4041. Placed over the players left shoulder, about 3 feet above, in a good sounding room.

Cello I'd go for a 414, facing where the neck meets the body, about 4 feet back, again the room is key, but isn't it always?

Stereo micing of a violinist I highly recommend against, as they move constantly, which IMHO is very distracting when lsitening in stereo.
Old 11-28-2003, 02:02 PM

Quote:
as they move constantly
Where, you do have an excellent point there!!! I don't know why they move all over the place. My teacher would give me a good whap if I started ANY moving around. There is one story of a famous conductor and a now famous violinist, but up and coming at the time. They were in rehersal for a live tv broadcast and the conductor just stopped cold, looked at the violinist and stated 'Excuse me, but the cameras have not started yet, just play'. The violinist obliged without any further problems.

Two of the best performances I ever heard live was one by Nathan Milstein and the other Salvatore Accardo. In each of these performances the sound was fantastic and these guys moved only their bow arm and fingers, other than that they were as straight as an arrow. I will never forget that.

I personally only use 1 mic as described, I just wondered if the stereo set up as an addition at a distance would add anything to the room if it happened to be a concert hall or church.

Take Care,
Gene