Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools M-Powered (Win)
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 05-04-2009, 06:37 PM

Default 0xc0000005 error, please help!

Hey all,

I'm running Windows 7 RC1. I may as well get that out of they way early on. I'm in both x64 and x86... I dual booted to see if it was a conflict with x64, but same problem happens in x86. I don't think though that the problem stems from Windows 7 RC1 because there are several people who are running PT on it no problem. Plus, I definitely have run into this error before on other operating systems, but I just forgot what I did to fix it.

I'm running M-Powered 7.4. I tried 7.4. I tried installing cs3. cs8. cs9. I even tried installing the M-Powered Demo that came with my 1814. Every time without fail, I get the following errors:

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/3...notworking.jpg

I've reinstalled Windows 7 a couple of times, and I get the same problem. (Again... I don't believe it has anything to do with Windows 7 itself.... I think there's some sort of setting or file that's conflicting with Pro Tools...)

I already tried uninstalling IE8, and that didn't help.

I googled the error and I got countless suggestions for registry cleaners, did that, didn't help.

I have tried leaving compatibility mode off, as well as compatibility with Vista, as well as compatibility with XP, and each time I get the same error. I tried running the Pro Tools executable in those compatibility modes, as well as trying to run the setup executable in those compatibility modes, and each time I get the same error.

Is there anything else I can try before I start scouting out tall bridge locations?
Old 05-04-2009, 10:37 PM

Default Re: 0xc0000005 error, please help!

Hi Chief,

You may want to check out something I came across with a little while ago. http://www.errornerd.com/stoperrorsc...eed=0xc0000005

I also read in some threads on the web that ppl had a virus attack and when cleaning this up it caused some registry crap what caused this error.

Now, you were saying that you have had IE8 on the system and removed it. After removing, did you then ran the registry tools you were talking about? I can imagine that something got messed up during the removing of IE8. And also, keep in mind W7 is also a RC. Even totally released OS's come often with a lot of bugs so I wouldn't be surprised something can go wrong in the registry when fingling around.

After the removing of IE8 you may want to reinstall PT as well. I read somwhere that is adviceable for sure.

I hope it helps

Regards, Luc
Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 AM

hi, thanks for your response.

i've realized that it can't really be a registry thing... I even visited that same site, download RegCure just like they suggest, and nothing happened. I ran it both before and after i uninstalled IE8. later on, i wiped my computer clean again, installed RC1 x86, and got the same error right from the get-go. i then wiped my computer clean again, installed the original Beta (Build 7000), and it worked. so there's something in RC1 stopping me from installing Pro Tools, which is a bummer.

what stumps me though is that i don't get the error when i try to load pro tools when in safe mode. BUT if i go to safe mode with networking, i get the error. so i figured that it must be some service that's related to networking that's causing the error. I booted into normal mode, disabled all the services that could have caused the problem while in safe mode with networking.... and i figured that would work... but it didn't.

anyhoo, i've been at this for 3 days. i'm not an idiot and i'd like to believe i'm totally ahead of the curve when it comes to installing an OS and getting stuff to work.... but i'm just plain stumped. i have no idea what to do, so i'm just reverting back to the original beta, build 7000, and considering myself defeated. i envy those who got it running in RC1 without a problem.
Old 05-05-2009, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Pronto View Post
hi, thanks for your response.

so there's something in RC1 stopping me from installing Pro Tools, which is a bummer..
pretty much, just had to go back to 7000 today myself after a poor run on RC1. Im back on my 7000 image but now i keep getting assertion errors and things like that which i diddn't before

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 05-05-2009, 12:49 PM

it's really annoying how inconsistent it is. mine doesn't work on 7000 either, even though i was using 7000 and pro tools for months before. what version of PT are you running? I'm wondering if PTMP 8 would work without giving me the 0xc0000005 error. through troubleshooting and trying different safe modes, a friend of mine and i sorta agreed that there's something in the network stack that PT is trying to access, or that it's conflicting with... we think this because PT works in safe mode without networking, but doesn't in safe mode with networking.

... why does Pro Tools need to access my network at all?
Old 05-05-2009, 12:55 PM

im on PT MP 8 at the moment, on Vista 32. After a marathon two days of trying Win7 RC, was crap so reloaded my image'd 7000 which then diddn't work well at all despite working good before the image. Went down to 7.4 on the 7000 build and it still wouldn't work, getting almost identical errors which is strange considering they are supposed to be a whole version number different. Erm, so now yeah im on vista and it seems to work okay, took a while to get past 13001 errors and the first time i used superior drummer it locked up but since has loaded so fingers crossed

Hackintosh: MacOS Catalina, i7 6700k, 32GB RAM, RX580
Pro Tools Studio, RME RayDAT PCIe
http://www.liamgaughan.com
Old 05-05-2009, 03:20 PM

did it run at all the last time you tried it in Windows 7? are you getting the same sort of errors that I am? or, does it run, just not well? ....
Old 05-05-2009, 10:55 PM

this just in.... PT LE works. M-Powered doesn't. ....
Old 05-18-2009, 02:11 PM

i think the problem could be Internet Explorer 8 for some reason. i had this problem ages ago & all i could do to fix it was reset to factory settings. but thinking back it was around the time of Win Vistas IE8 Beta trial. I have tried M-Powered 7.4Cs8 in both Win7 beta and RC1, both obviously have IE8. Now the thing that really convinces me that this is IE8 related is this. I finished a mixing session and ran windows update, one of the updates was IE8 for Win Vista. All installed fine. A couple days later i tried to run pro tools and got the 0xc0000005 error. After trying a couple of things, with no success i decided that the only things that had changed since i last used pro tools was the updates. It then popped into my head that there is IE8 again. a common factor in all the problems. after unistalling IE8 and a reboot protools works fine again.
so im pretty certain that is the problem. unfortunaitly im posting this from within vista so i can look to see if ie8 can be removed from win7 beta or RC1, but at least it looks like a fix for vista users.
Old 08-03-2009, 01:31 AM

Default TEMPORARY FIX: Re: 0xc0000005 error, please help!

Geddday everyone,

Guess what? I found a temporary fix to this problem.
This has been pissing me off for so long, and the fact that no one hasnt posted any fixes or anything for so long makes it even worse!
Ah well, basically, we found out that Pro Tools opens in regular Safe Mode, but no sound drivers are activated. I was on a mission then to find a way to somehow find out how to activate sound in safe mode so i could run pro tools and do everything as normal, but in safe mode instead, and thats exactly what i did. Long story short, i'm almost convinced that its an IE8 related issue, but what to do, i dont know.
However, what you can do in the meantime is download this little registry patch below, open it, double click it, apply the registry values, reboot in safe mode, and voila! Sound drivers & firewire should work in safe mode.
:)
http://www.sendspace.com/file/lpmy8q
Let me know how you go,
Regards Sam.

Last edited by samuelkoster; 08-03-2009 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Remove mistake.