Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Tools Software > Getting Started

Old 09-28-2019, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Bounced files play fast

You need to understand what a sampling rate means. It is the amount of samples that are recorded per second, and playback follows the same reasoning. So, if the math part if difficult for you, let me simplify things with different numbers.

Say you have recorded your audio at a rate of 100 and bounced it at a rate of 50, that is just normal workflow because you don't want to be limited to working at rate of 50 but would perhaps some day want to work at a rate of 200 instead.

Your problem here is you have a session that is working at a rate of 100 but your bounced audio file is at rate of 50 which makes the playback double fast (100:50=2) compared to what you expect. The audio file however is not the problem, but your session that is working at a faster rate.

To fix it, create another session that is working at a rate of 50 and import the audio file that is bounced at a rate of 50, then the playback time is 50:50 (the same) compared to original recording of rate of 100 in a session that is working on rate of 100. See? 100:100 equals to 50:50 equals to 1:1 which is original time.

Any mismatch in sampling rates of your session and audio file(s) will make them playback in wrong time, unless you SRC them on import, which is what you do not want to do here. Your goal is bounce for CD burning, which means you need 16bit 44.1kHz and if you want to take a listen, your session needs to be 44.1kHz as well.
Old 09-29-2019, 01:19 AM

Janne
Thank you for all your help. And thanks everyone else who helped to sort out my problems.
I'm more than likely going to record at 24bt 44.1 and see how that goes.
😁🎶🎤🎸👍🏻
Old 09-29-2019, 02:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craggstar View Post
Thank you for all your help. And thanks everyone else who helped to sort out my problems. I'm more than likely going to record at 24bt 44.1 and see how that goes.
No problem.

But this is something you really need to understand, not just try to avoid problems. It is so fundamental.
Old 09-29-2019, 02:11 AM

So, whatever format I record then bounce at 16bt 44.1I need to open a new session at 16bt 44.1 and import my bounced files into it and they will play OK. Then save that file on CD or upload to Spotify etc?
The thing that's caused all the confusion is I never had to open another session to play them back. I just rendered down to 16 44.1 and they then went straight online or to CD.
Old 09-29-2019, 03:41 AM

Yes, if you want to playback your final bounces in PT, your session needs to be 44.1kHz

But you can easily playback outside of PT, as you don't want to make any modifications to the 16bit 44.1kHz bounces that you are going to burn on CD. If changes are needed you open the original session and tweak there, then bounce again. You should also dither your 16bit bounce, but I'm sure you already knew that.
Old 09-29-2019, 06:51 AM

Yaaay got it!
As for dithering... My wife says I spend my life dithering so not a problem on that front.
😉😉😉
Thanks again... Simple when you know how! 🤣🤣
Old 09-29-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craggstar View Post
wife says i spend my life dithering so not a problem on that front
omg
Old 09-29-2019, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craggstar View Post
Yaaay got it!
As for dithering... My wife says I spend my life dithering so not a problem on that front.
😉😉😉
Thanks again... Simple when you know how! 🤣🤣
You own the internet today with that post brother

#thestruggleisreal
—————————————
South Side Music Group
WEBHOME
—————————————