Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Legacy Products > Pro Tools 12
Register FAQ Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2017, 06:57 PM

Default 12.8.3 crashes on install - Mac 10.12.6

Hi Guys .
Trying to install Pro Tools Vanilla 12.8.3 ,
- on my Mac Pro running OX10.12.6.

It's a fresh install BTW , with everything updated to latest versions.

Problem :

My Pro Tools 12.8.3 Installer crashes during install when the plugins try to load up

All seems to go well loading almost all of my plugins, but crashes when trying to load ,
- one of my soft tube compressor plugins,
- UVI workstation .

Just before the installer crashes : An AVID error message window pops up comes up telling me I need to contact the developers of those Plugins (ie; UVI & Softube) ?

I know there is nothing wrong with both these latest version plugins, nor are they corrupted .., as they were both worked fine in the previous Pro tools version 12.8.2

I do also feel I shouldn't be need to contact the developers (ie; support) of these UVI & Softube plugins - as it sounds to me like the problem lies with Pro Tools 12.8.3 ?

NOTE : I even moved those two plugins to the unused plugin folder , and after doing so - even further attemps to install pro-Tools 12.8.3 I still keep having their installer crash time and time again

Is anyone else seeing this install problem or have any recommendations ?
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's

Last edited by Seafoam_Green; 12-21-2017 at 07:19 PM.
Old 12-21-2017, 07:26 PM

The installer is not crashing, it is not an install problem, it is a run time problem. Pro Tools is not starting.

What is a fresh install? Fresh what? Fresh OS? You have plugins already installed so it does not sound like it is fresh at all. And deleting Pro Tools.app does nothing to clean up a Pro Tools install outside of getting rid of that executable bundle, but a install does that anyhow and does not make anything “fresh”.

And there is most definitely something wrong between your plugins and Pro Tools. And you do *not* know if the plugins have a bug (they could have always done something wrong that now is tripped up by changes in this version of Pro Tools.). It’s also possible you just have corrupted prefs.... first response to Pro Tools problems should always be to trash prefs.

So stop arguing against what you can see happening right in front of you and get the job done... trash prefs. Uninstall and reinstall those plugins. Make sure you are reinstalling the latest versions of the plugins. If the same error then occurs do exactly what the message is telling you to do... that plugin vendor is in the best situation to work out what is causing the incompatibility here, and be able to contact Avid if the problem is really in Pro Tools. Check the plugin vendors forums as well.

There have been a few posts of issues here, but the only cogent description was with ReWire and it seems to have resolved itself. If there were lots of plugin compatibility issues being seen DUC would be flooded with complaints by now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2017, 07:47 PM

I am lost as to what you did.

Did you trash prefs before trying anything else?

What exact .aaxplugin files did you move out of the Plugin folder? (check they really are not there)

You should trash prefs after you do that as well.

What installer are you running? You should not be running the Pro Tools installer again. Pro Tools is already installed.

You should verify Pro Tools will start then try reinstalling the possibly incompatible plugins.

If Pro Tools does not start with the few plugins removed then move *everything* in the plugins folder elsewhere, trash prefs, and restart Pro Tools. Does Pro Tools then start? It will automatically put the default plugins back.

if you are rerunning plugin installers... what exact versions are you installing?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-22-2017, 09:41 PM

Default Re: 12.8.3 crashes on install - Mac 10.12.6

Thanks Darryl, I trashed Prefs but still no good .

Here is a more detailed description of whats happening.

Upon initial pro tools 12.8.3 , start up procedure ..., ie;

- during when the plugins are being loading into pro tools - ie; upon pro tools initial start procedure ,

This plugin load up stage gets interrupted by a pop up window from avid stating : 2 fatal error messages from avid .

listing :

- 'tube-tech CL1B'
- 'UVI Workstation' .., both of which also informs me I must contact the software publisher.

The Full error message from Avid reads exactly this ..., (same for UVI)

" FATAL ERROR TUBE-TECH CL1b ,
Tubetech CL1B could not be loaded. Please contact the software publisher for support using this software.
Error Details : TSS : Resource Temporarily unavailable"

NOTE : after I press the OK button which is contained within in the message window,
Then Pro Tools itself - Then Crashes (which was in it's mid startup/ plug in load up stage) ?

PS : BTW, Both those problematic plugins were the absolute latest versions available. They also both previously worked fine in pro Tools 12.8.2 ?

I am using :
- Mac OS = 10.12.6

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

#1 : NEXT - TROUBLESHOOTING ... (after again trashing PREFS)

I Moved those 2 plugins that had the fatal messages (ie; UVI workstation, and softube's tube-tech CL1B) into the unused folder
Result = Pro Tools seemed to load the plugins OK, 'up to' those starting with the letter 'T' (ie; alphabetically 'before' the tube-tech CL1B)

BUT ...., then pro tools crashed (showing the unexpected crash message, which asked me to send a log to AVID)

__________________________________________________ _________________________________________

#2 : NEXT ... (after again trashing PREFS)

I moved ALL PLUGINS .., to the Unused plugins folder
Result = Pro Tools managed to open (so far so good)

__________________________________________________ ____________________

#3 : NEXT ... (after again trashing PREFS)

I Moved All Plugins alphabetically back into the AAX Folder ..., "starting from plugins beginning with the letter 'A' , and all others up to those beginning with the letter 'T' , but stopping before the 'Tube-tech CL1B plugin ' (which was the previous problematic plugin that triggered the fatal message - so kept that one and UVI Workstation in the unused folder - and ALL others after the letter 'T' still remain in the unused folder ) ,

Result = yes AGAIN pro tools managed to open (so far so good)

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

#4 : NEXT ... (Now that pro tools opens with all plugins loaded up to the problematic 'TUBE-TECH CL1B' ) ....,

I moved the REMAINING Plugins after the TUBE-TECH CL1b - back into the AAX Folder "EXCEPT" ...,

- UVI Workstation (That previously triggered the Avid Fatal error message) & ,
- TUBE-TECH CL1b (I kept both these in the unused folder)

...., and then opened Pro Tools/ started up pro tools.

Result = yes pro tools managed to open (so far so good)

The WEIRD thing : is this method worked - but STEP # 1 did not work ? (ie; when I added those problematic 2 plugins to the unused folder back in step # 1) ?

__________________________________________________ ___________________________

# 5 : NEXT ...,

I have sent off support requests to UVI and to Softube .., so I will await their reply

Anyway , once again
Thank you for your help Darryl , much appreciated ,

..., and

Merry Xmas

To you, and to all the helpful members here in this community
Pro Tools 2021.6.0 Native * Slate Raven MTi-1 Version 3.9.1 * AVID MBox3 Pro * OSX Mojave 10.14.6 * MAC PRO (late 2013) * 3.0 GHz 10-Core Intel Xeon E5 * 64 GB Ram 1866 MHz DDR * AMD FirePro D700 6GB * Lacie LBD 1TB Thunderbolt 2 PCiE * Blackmagic Multidock Thunderbolt2 * Samsung SSD's 850 Pro * WD Black HDD's

Last edited by Seafoam_Green; 12-22-2017 at 11:06 PM. Reason: typos
Old 12-23-2017, 05:58 AM

Couple thoughts from looking at your diagnostic steps.
First it looks like in Step #1 you put the two plugs into the unused folder and then tried to start PT then when it crashed/stopped you trashed Pref's ? as opposed to trashing prefs after putting the two plugs AND before trying to load PT ???
Second you do not list actually "uninstalling " and "reinstalling" those two offending plugs as per recommendation ??? just some thoughts .

Enjoy the Journey
.... Kev...
Old 12-23-2017, 06:41 AM

In the 12.8.3 Read Me, take a look at the first item on p.5... there is a workaround which might solve your problem.

"Pro Tools quits unexpectedly while loading plug-ins on launch (PT-206888)"

Hope this helps
Old 12-23-2017, 07:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K Roche View Post
Couple thoughts from looking at your diagnostic steps.
First it looks like in Step #1 you put the two plugs into the unused folder and then tried to start PT then when it crashed/stopped you trashed Pref's ? as opposed to trashing prefs after putting the two plugs AND before trying to load PT ???
Second you do not list actually "uninstalling " and "reinstalling" those two offending plugs as per recommendation ??? just some thoughts .
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Lyon View Post
In the 12.8.3 Read Me, take a look at the first item on p.5... there is a workaround which might solve your problem.

"Pro Tools quits unexpectedly while loading plug-ins on launch (PT-206888)"

Hope this helps
I Had a WIN

You guys are great , many thanks .

What I done , was ...,

#1 - Yes I forgot to delete and reinstall as Darryl mentioned earlier (sorry bout that)

#2 - first up I deleted / uninstalled all traces of those two problematic plugins, then redownloaded and reinstalled both of them.

#3 - Next, I trashed prefs again.

#4 - Then I opened Pro Tools and all was good. I just checked to see if those previously problematic plugins were there, and yes - sure enough they were ..., stoked

@ K Roche, hi there , to answer your question ,
After Darryl's advice I 'think' I did actually trash prefs before each new start up attempt as a precaution. but with your suggestion, I can't exactly recall my order as I got a bit confused in the end, so not sure what I did right (or wrong) there in that situation

@ Ray Lion, Hi Ray , thanks for that tip/link . Yes it looks like I must have accidentally stumbled (with great guidance from Darryl of course) onto that workaround when I removed the plugins in step 3 (of comment 4) from my previous reply earlier ,
.., but in my later attempt to start up protool once I moved all the plugins BACK into the AAX folder I has successes
But - at that time I chose to leave those 2 problematic plugins in the unused folder without moving them and trying again to see if Pro tools would load them and start up.
If going by that 'read me' (that you steered me on to ) .., it seem that I should have given them a go

So not sure if it was suggestion 1-2 or 3 of your excellent troubleshooting comment (al all of them combined) .., but they worked , Much appreciated

PS: I will contact the support guys now and let 'em know alls good,
.., hopefully thats one less thing for them to worry about and they can knock off work a bit earlier and ho down into those xmas parties beers a bit sooner