Avid Pro Audio Community

Avid Pro Audio Community

How to Join & Post  •  Community Terms of Use  •  Help Us Help You

Knowledge Base Search  •  Community Search  •  Learn & Support

Avid Home Page

Go Back   Avid Pro Audio Community > Pro Mixing > Avid Pro Mixing General Discussion

Old 12-02-2019, 07:18 AM

Default Drawing volume automation for VCA grouped tracks

Hi,

I am new to using VCA groups, and I have some trouble figuring it out. I have a group of tracks that are all in the same VCA group, controlled by VCA master track.

Now, if I try to draw volume automation (on screen, using mouse) to one of the grouped tracks, the edits happen to all tracks in the group. No matter what setting I have in "modify group" settings.

How ever, if I record volume automation by moving a fader, it only automates the selected track as it should.

I like to do some automation edits by mouse, so is there a way to edit single track volume automation like that while the track is part of VCA group?

Thanks
Old 12-02-2019, 08:06 AM

Default Re: Drawing volume automation for VCA grouped tracks

You just have to bypass all groups before drawing the automation, i think is alt+shift+g
Old 12-02-2019, 09:31 AM

Thanks!

Yeah, bypassing the group seems to solve this. I was hoping I was just missing some setting, because bypassing and re-activating groups all the time is not optimal.

VCA master seems to work even when the group is bypassed though. Is this a bug, or is this how it is supposed to work? Maybe I can keep the groups bypassed all the time then..
Old 12-03-2019, 08:45 AM

Quote:
VCA master seems to work even when the group is bypassed though. Is this a bug, or is this how it is supposed to work? Maybe I can keep the groups bypassed all the time then..
That is by design. The VCA will always operate, regardless of the status of the mix group. I recommend simply unhighlighting the VCA groups, that way your other groups and your 'suspend all groups' command can be useful in other ways.